Problem with Turbo Creo turning off during ride, likely the RE battery

lastostrogoth

Region
USA
I have had my Turbo Creo for just two years and have ridden it approximately 9000 miles pretty much trouble free. The original RE battery died after 11 months and Specialized replaced it about three months later. In the interim I bought a second one and have switched them out weekly so neither is left unused for more than a week. About two weeks ago I did a switch and the next time I got ready to get out on a ride the bike wouldn't initially start up. After four or five tries it finally started up and other than one or two points during the ride everything went normally. During those two incidents the indicator lights went out and the pedaling became stiff and unassisted. I reached down, pressed the start button and it started right back up. I decided to take it in to the LBS to get the firmware update. They thought that the problems I had experienced were possibly due to needing the update. I took it out for a ride the next day, and all went well. Due to lousy weather I wasn't able to get out for the next six days. Yesterday I rode again. Everything seemed fine until about an hour and a half into the ride (c. 30 miles) Then the old problem of the bike shutting down reoccurred. It happened 4 times during the remaining hour of the ride. Each time it was easy to restart the bike without having to stop. Once it seemed to restart by itself.
When I got home I recharged to batteries and ran diagnostics using Mission Control. Everything looked good. Once the bike and RE were fully charged I swapped out the RE battery. I wanted to see if there was possibility that the one I was using was the problem since the problems I was experiencing began after the last switch. I was also interested in seeing if both batteries had the same firmware. They do. At this point it seems to me that the likely cause of the problem is the battery since the problem began after the last change. Early on I had the upper cable connection loosen on a ride which caused the bike to shut down, so I know that if the RE battery is connected to the system and somehow fails or is disconnected from the cable it does shut down the bike. I am going to test the theory tomorrow. If the problem persists it could be the cable or something in the bike itself. I would like to eliminate as many variables from the equation as I can before taking it back to the shop. I am curious as to whether anyone else has experienced problems with their range extender battery. If it is the problem, it will be the second one I have had problems with in an approximate one year time space. That the $400 price tag, that doesn't speak well for quality control. I will report back to this thread once I have completed my test tomorrow.

I have had my Turbo Creo for just two years and have ridden it approximately 9000 miles pretty much trouble free. The original RE battery died after 11 months and Specialized replaced it about three months later. In the interim I bought a second one and have switched them out weekly so neither is left unused for more than a week. About two weeks ago I did a switch and the next time I got ready to get out on a ride the bike wouldn't initially start up. After four or five tries it finally started up and other than one or two points during the ride everything went normally. During those two incidents the indicator lights went out and the pedaling became stiff and unassisted. I reached down, pressed the start button and it started right back up. I decided to take it in to the LBS to get the firmware update. They thought that the problems I had experienced were possibly due to needing the update. I took it out for a ride the next day, and all went well. Due to lousy weather I wasn't able to get out for the next six days. Yesterday I rode again. Everything seemed fine until about an hour and a half into the ride (c. 30 miles) Then the old problem of the bike shutting down reoccurred. It happened 4 times during the remaining hour of the ride. Each time it was easy to restart the bike without having to stop. Once it seemed to restart by itself.
When I got home I recharged to batteries and ran diagnostics using Mission Control. Everything looked good. Once the bike and RE were fully charged I swapped out the RE battery. I wanted to see if there was possibility that the one I was using was the problem since the problems I was experiencing began after the last switch. I was also interested in seeing if both batteries had the same firmware. They do. At this point it seems to me that the likely cause of the problem is the battery since the problem began after the last change. Early on I had the upper cable connection loosen on a ride which caused the bike to shut down, so I know that if the RE battery is connected to the system and somehow fails or is disconnected from the cable it does shut down the bike. I am going to test the theory tomorrow. If the problem persists it could be the cable or something in the bike itself. I would like to eliminate as many variables from the equation as I can before taking it back to the shop. I am curious as to whether anyone else has experienced problems with their range extender battery. If it is the problem, it will be the second one I have had problems with in an approximate one year time space. That the $400 price tag, that doesn't speak well for quality control. I will report back to this thread once I have completed my test tomorrow.
I have only had one "NO POWER" episode. The power turned off for no reason I could discern. I did have a bit of trouble restarting it but then it did start up and gave me no further issues. I WAS using a Range Extender on that ride. It did not flare up again on that trip or since.

The only other incident was attributed to the Creo's remote buttons being wound too tight under the handlebar tape. I had only pedaled a few blocks and the remote buttons did not do anything - neither up nor down. Nor did the controller in the top tube. I also could not turn off the bike by holding the button down. I managed a power off by holding both buttons and it restarted but, again, not control of power up or down. While the remotes had been on for a few weeks with no issues, I guess the tape shifted or the buttons shifted. I managed to get back home and hit the bike shop. They diagnosed the issue in that case.

Thank you, that is interesting. As I said, I had an RE battery die about 11 months into it life. I had recharged it the day before. It showed a full charge, but the next day it was dead. It took three months for Specialized to send a new one. I searched the web and found a replacement and bought it since most of my rides are around 50 miles and cannot be done in Sports mode without an RE battery. I have a friend who bought the same bike on my recommendation. He had a no power situation occur a couple of weeks before mine. He took it in to the Specialized dealer. They did the firmware update and that seemed to resolve his issue, but he doesn't ride as much as I do, so I am wondering if it is just waiting to happen again. I spoke to the dealer today, and if it turns out to be the RE battery he will handle getting it replaced. Because it is an intermittent problem it is very hard to diagnose. I rode a full hour and a half without a problem yesterday. Then it started. I was showing approximately 11 bars at the time, four green and three blue.

Thank you, that is interesting. As I said, I had an RE battery die about 11 months into it life. I had recharged it the day before. It showed a full charge, but the next day it was dead. It took three months for Specialized to send a new one. I searched the web and found a replacement and bought it since most of my rides are around 50 miles and cannot be done in Sports mode without an RE battery. I have a friend who bought the same bike on my recommendation. He had a no power situation occur a couple of weeks before mine. He took it in to the Specialized dealer. They did the firmware update and that seemed to resolve his issue, but he doesn't ride as much as I do, so I am wondering if it is just waiting to happen again. I spoke to the dealer today, and if it turns out to be the RE battery he will handle getting it replaced. Because it is an intermittent problem it is very hard to diagnose. I rode a full hour and a half without a problem yesterday. Then it started. I was showing approximately 11 bars at the time, four green and three blue.
Good luck. Yes, intermittent issues are hard to diagnose.

I had a similar issue with the battery cutting out and this only happen when the RE was plugged in and never with just main battery. The issue with mine was to do with a touch of water ingress. The RE cable has the rubber seals on, but these are quite flimsy and easy to not seat fully when the RE cable is plugged in, making a area for water to get in. Check the seals on the RE cable and fully dry the port out that this plugs into. I did this and not have any issues since

It is hard not to be worried.
My original Range Extender works as advertised. If I choose to discharge the Range Extender first and it is between 10 and 5% charge, I get a little of assistance. Eventually, the system decides to switch the RE off and I am getting the full juice from the main battery.
However, I bought two extra Range Extenders, and at least one of them behaves erratically. When it is around 8%, I get the "No Battery" (or "No Power") message, and the e-bike shuts off. I have not been able to identify and colour-code the problematic battery yet. All I do is avoiding to discharge my Range Extenders below 10%, or I set the main and extender batteries to work in parallel.

Ostrogoth, a trivial question: do you secure the SL RE cable on both sides? That is with the latch at the bottom and the rubber band at the top?

Stefan, yes, I use one of the rubber bands around the top of the battery to hold the cable in place. I had one come loose very early in my experience which caused the bike to turn off. After that I started strapping down that upper connection. I use the default system which pulls on the batteries simultaneously. The day I got the 4 or 5 shutdowns there was still a significant charge in both, 11 bars showing. I am going to ride today with my other RE battery. I think it should resolve what is causing the problem. The shop said that they would handle the warranty if the battery is at fault.

Stefan, yes, I use one of the rubber bands around the top of the battery to hold the cable in place. I had one come loose very early in my experience which caused the bike to turn off. After that I started strapping down that upper connection. I use the default system which pulls on the batteries simultaneously. The day I got the 4 or 5 shutdowns there was still a significant charge in both, 11 bars showing. I am going to ride today with my other RE battery. I think it should resolve what is causing the problem. The shop said that they would handle the warranty if the battery is at fault.
But do you turn the latch at the charging socket, too?
Of course, it could all be because of a faulty battery, I agree.

I had a similar issue with the battery cutting out and this only happen when the RE was plugged in and never with just main battery. The issue with mine was to do with a touch of water ingress. The RE cable has the rubber seals on, but these are quite flimsy and easy to not seat fully when the RE cable is plugged in, making a area for water to get in. Check the seals on the RE cable and fully dry the port out that this plugs into. I did this and not have any issues since
Uncharacteristically, it has been quite dry out here. When the shutdowns occurred I was and hour and 30 minutes into the ride, approximately 30 miles. There was no water anywhere in sight. The bike turned off and was easy to restart without having to stop. Water wasn't an issue. I have ridden it in the rain with no problems at all.

But do you turn the latch at the charging socket, too?
Of course, it could all be because of a faulty battery, I agree.
Yes. Everything is secure as far as the cable goes. Since the problems began after I switched RE batteries (something I usually do every three or four rides) I suspect that the RE battery is the problem. No other changes were made in the equipment in the interim.

Yes. Everything is secure as far as the cable goes. Since the problems began after I switched RE batteries (something I usually do every three or four rides) I suspect that the RE battery is the problem. No other changes were made in the equipment in the interim.
Sorry for having asked those questions.
I actually didn't understand the latch first I bought my Vado SL. I even didn't know how I could/should have secured the RE in the water-bottle-cage! :)

Sorry for having asked those questions.
I actually didn't understand the latch first I bought my Vado SL. I even didn't know I could/should have secured the RE in the water-bottle-cage! :)
No need for an apology. I have done enough tech support to know that no question you ask is unnecessary. I cannot tell you how many time the problem was caused by someone unplugging their computer or turning off the on/off switch on the power strip.

Just got back from a 47 mile ride up to Mt Rainier Natl park with an elevation gain of a bit over 2000'. There wasn't a hiccup out of the bike. I pushed it hard coming back with an average speed of 18.94 MPH, so I wasn't taking it easy. I think the issue is resolved, to wit: the RE battery is defective. The one I used today is fine, as is the bike hardware. This is the second RE battery I have had to replace. At a price tag of $400 that is inexcusable. Additionally, I have a friend who has had the same problem with his shutting down mid ride. His battery is just under two years old. I will be interested to see if Specialized replaces it. I need to call him and let him know. He was told that the problem was due to needing to update his bike's firmware. Guess what? I would call that a misdiagnosis.

My turbo vado 5 (2022) started turning off randomly from day 1. Diagnosis by lbs showed a faulty torque sensor. Specialized is replacing the motor. Maybe investigating along this line could be Another line of analysis in addition to the battery troubleshooting.

That is interesting, but I solved my problem. When I changed the RE battery to my second one the problem disappeared. The defective RE battery is now at the LBS. They tested it, but, of course, nothing shows since the problem with it is intermittent. They are waiting for a reply from Specialized which should come in the next couple of days. One essential difference between your problem and mine is that I have had the bike for two years, ridden it somewhere around 10K miles without a problem. This one started just after I swapped out RE batteries which I do, usually, every three rides. I have had both RE batteries for about 11 months. An original one I bought died at about the same time. In that case, after fully charging it it was flat dead the next morning. That one took three months to get a replacement for. It was at the height of the pandemic nonsense.

I had this happen to me and what solved the issue was using dry, compressed air on the input section for the Extender. I'd guess, though, there are many other reasons for this symptom.

Problem solved. Specialized authorized replacement of the RE battery which the Diagnostics app showed had some kind of breakdown in its connection wiring. The new one is currently charging. Interestingly, the Specialized tech thought that the problem was somewhere in the area of the input section mentioned in the HLM post.

My turbo vado 5 (2022) started turning off randomly from day 1. Diagnosis by lbs showed a faulty torque sensor. Specialized is replacing the motor. Maybe investigating along this line could be Another line of analysis in addition to the battery troubleshooting.
The fact that with one RE battery the problem occurred, but not with the other RE battery pretty much pointed to the faulty RE battery being the problem.

Back