EVO Cross Questions

Kris

One of the bikes I'm considering is the EVO Cross. I'm torn between that and a Stromer ST1. I know the EVO has a geared motor, but it is really that much louder? And what type of range could I expect if I just used the throttle and held it all the way for the fastest, straight (no hills) ride? Finally, do the skinny tires feel unsafe at higher speeds?

You're looking at ~23mph max speed on "Throttle" alone and the range would be ~20miles.
Skinny tires don't feel unsafe until 30mph. Roadies regularly do 27mph with their ultrathin 23c tires.
I believe the Cross comes with 38c tires.
Geared motors on Easy motion bikes don't make much noise at all. At 20mph, you can barely hear them on flats.
If you don't wish to carry the bike (stairs, car bike racks) then Stromer Platinum is also a good choice.

Kris, I would ride both bikes and decide which system you are more most comfortable with. Yes, our geared motors are one of quietest out on the market and what little whine you get is mostly drowned out by road noise. With any ebike that has a throttle, you'll want to at least pedal softly while activating the throttle for an extended period of time as while the throttle is convenient adjutnct to pedalling, it is designed to augment pedaling, and not a replacement. What is often overlooked is that our ebikes are first and foremost bicycles, and have as an enhancement, "motor assist".
As Ravi stated, teh 38c are more than adequate for any speed you can attain on the bike. I regularly descend at over 40mph with complete confidence on the Cross and don't consider 38cm tires "skinny".

I hope this helps.

I would defenitely go for the BH EVO CROSS. Great looking bike and fun to ride.
The Stromer is more to me a awfull looking motorbike than a cycling bike.
Ok, the Stromer goes faster, but then again.... buy a motorbike...
A bike should be a bike and have the feel of it, rather to be a souped up 'thing'.

Last edited:
One of the bikes I'm considering is the EVO Cross. I'm torn between that and a Stromer ST1. I know the EVO has a geared motor, but it is really that much louder? And what type of range could I expect if I just used the throttle and held it all the way for the fastest, straight (no hills) ride? Finally, do the skinny tires feel unsafe at higher speeds?

EVO Cross seems like a nice commuting bike.. It's 10 lbs lighter than the Stromer, and less expensive. Would be better if they offered a solid fork model and tires that are a little wider.

Check out this new EVO model.. looks good..
http://electricbikereview.com/easy-motion/evo-27-5/

Ride them both on your normal pavement ruts and all and decide.

Last edited:
Kris, go for the EVO Cross or the EVO" 27.5, you won't be disappointed, and get bigger tires (I'm kinda partial to the 27.5 as it's just wonderful for both on and off-road use). You can always lock the fork out so that it is pretty rigid, negating the need for a solid fork. The added weight of the suspension fork is not significant, but the improvement in ride quality and adjustability are.

JoePah, like tires, saddles, handlebars, stems, etc. are a matter of personal preference, and it's easy to find just the right tire for your any BH/Easy Motion ebike with all the options on the market if the stock tires to your liking.

When we design our bikes we do so for the majority of customers interested in the performance, look, and feel of our bikes.

Remember you can change a lot of things on your bike and is customary to do so to personalize it and fit you properly.

Enjoy the ride!

Back