Evo cross cuts out

Who is eliminating these posts from forums

• Total voters

JJBJ

Emotion Evo Cross Bought this bike new in Washington, D.C. 2 months ago. Will not turn on sometimes and quite often will just turn off while riding. When power cuts you are not in a sympathetic gear so you will lose control. This has been very dangerous in Washington traffic. If I take It somewhere I can not trust I can get back. The electronic control seem very cheap and after research online I have found many comments about same problem. This bike is heavy and very hard to ride with the power out. If you are stuck miles from home you can not leave a 3000 dollar bike chained up in any part of town.

What steps have you, the dealer and Easy Motion USA taken to rectify the problem?

What steps have you, the dealer and Easy Motion USA taken to rectify the problem?
What steps would you take to ensure the safety of a rider in traffic? Maybe make a dependable switch to begin with. I am not buying a high performance car that needs service monthly. We are talking about an electrical machine with no on button and no way for a normal rider that is not a mechanic to address being stranded; sometimes right in the middle of traffic. There are car companies facing millions in liability for car that have faulty starters and cut off causing accidents and deaths. This would be an easy fault to fix but the company has stayed with the same faulty design for at least three years now and every service person knows the problem. But the dealer continue to sell a product that can cause death because of of its failure.

I know the steps I took to resolve an issue I had with my Evo and thought I may have an avenue to help you. That's why I asked what steps have been taken to rectify your bike's problem. This is apparently a bigger issue, so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
I have seen your posts repeatedly on this sight. You are obviously a very knowledgeable proponent of this tech. You obviously also a capable engineer from a knowledge level. How to get things resolved and fixed is an incredible talent and I have seen you help people solve their problems. What I am concerned about this sight is it's lack of any acknowledgement that some of the designs of even the most expensive bikes are flawed. If bikes cut off more often than others it should be acknowledged for the benefit of true reviewing. It is simple; if the battery falls off you can show me how to use duck tape, but if an expensive bike brands batteries fall off regularly I would think a legitimate review site at least report it so your followers would make a better choice in

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same problem, but yesterday morning I couldn't start my Evo Big Bud Pro (have had it for 3 months). I knew the battery was 100% charged (the green led lights on the battery confirmed that as well), but the display continued to show 0% and the 0% was flashing rapidly. After numerous attempts to remove and mount the battery again, checking the cables and the contacts, reset the display, etc. etc., nothing seemed to solve the problem. I realized that I had to ride the bike unpowered all 7k to my ferry and then another 3k to the Evo store.. However, after only like 7 minutes on the bike cursing loudly the display suddenly showed 100% battery and the motors kicked in. Puh! When the store opened at 10 am I called them and explained the issue and they told me to bring it in after lunch.

At the store the service guy informed me that some of the early 2016 bikes had some kind of problem with the battery (don't ask me the details) due to a bad construction/production choice, and that the store had received information about how to fix it. It took about 45min to fix and it looks like he took the battery apart and at least glued a bit since I could notice some glue around the contact. They also adjusted something so that the battery is easier to remove and put back in, and also the key for the battery is easier to turn now. Hopefully the fix will do the trick so I won't be standing there in the morning with a "dead" bike knowing that it will be an absolute nightmare to commute to work.

As I said, I'm not sure if this is the same issue as you are experiencing, but I guess that it could happen during a ride as well.

I experienced the same problem again this morning, as I described earlier in the thread. This morning I didn't have the time to check everything 100 times so I decided to take the car to work. I'm going to call the evo shop in a few minutes and see what they suggest.

Anyhow, my e-bike is more important than my car for commuting, so that it starts is absolutely a must. I really hope they can come up with some good "best guesses", otherwise I'll demand them to replace the control unit and the battery.

I'll keep you posted.

@Erik.N. when you attempt to power your bike up, do you get any error codes? Have you ever had an error code displayed? The codes only display momentarily.

I've had error 05 ("motor sensor error") a few times and it typically means there is a loose or broken connection somewhere. Usually not a big deal. In my case it was one of the small contacts on the display. I fixed this by putting the factory screw in the display to semi-permanently lock the display to the mount. I also had an error 01 ("system overcurrent"). This is a bigger problem, the controller was fried. It was replaced under warranty. It's relatively easy to fix once you have a replacement controller. My dealer and BH Easy Motion were fast responding to my problem and had me back riding in 6 days, that includes shipping a new controller from the West Coast to the East Coast.

As for the display issue, I was told BH redesigned the display for 2017 and it should resolve the contact issue.

Erik, I hope your bike's issue gets resolved as quick and relitively painless as mine was. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

@J.R. I have not seen any error codes at all. When I turn on the display the Battery-% just keeps flashing "0%".

Talked to an EVO store before lunch (same city though a different store than my nearest one in regards to geographical location, but actually the store I bought the bike from). I explained the issue I've experienced twice and told him that my nearest EVO store had tried to fix the problem the first time without luck. The technician told me to bring the battery so he could have a look at it as well, and that's what I'm going to do tomorrow.

We'll see if he means that the battery contact problem still exists even though the first attempt to fix it. If so, he might order me a new battery he said.

@Erik.N. just a guess, it sounds like a bad BMS (battery management system). That's inside the battery and happens with all brands, from time to time. Has any dealer offered a demo bike's battery for you to test on the bike? If not, ask them. It would be the quickest, easiest way to find out if you need a new battery.

@J.R. the contact attached to the battery is loose (I checked it yesterday evening), and that's what they "fixed" the last time. Unfortunately it just lasted app. 2 weeks. I'll see what the dealer says later today. If they mean that they have to order me a new battery, it will take some time. However, the technician I spoke to said that they'll then give me a "demo"/spare battery in the mean time. For me the contact problem is due to a bad construction, and I'm curious if they have solved it on the new Big Bud Pro that is available (at least for viewing) at their web page. Spoke to the dealer and he said that the new BBP is probably available for orders in maybe half a year or more. He saw the bike at some exhibition not long ago, but just as a prototype... and he wasn't given the chance to look at like battery details etc.

Somewhat out of the topic, but it's a bit "unfortunate" with all the power cuts/losses and display/battery issues that people are expericening with their BH bikes. The main reason I bought the Big Bud Pro was because of the 2wd, otherwise I would go for the Haibike Sduro Full Fatsix. I just checked the Haibike's forum and it looks like their threads doesn't address so many problems as the emotion forum. Anyhow, comparing the quality between the emotion and the bosch/yamaha systems at least I have my opinion about quality. Ok, different setups (hub vs crank) etc, but with that said I really like the hub motors. It gives the bike a quick response to it, no matter the gear you're in.

This time the service guy fixed it with another kind of glue (the correct one to use acc. to him) and I were told to NOT touch the battery's contact or use it on my bike for 24 hours. The last time the other service guy repaired it I went to the store by bike and left by bike 45 minutes later.

So.... hopefully the bike will not give me a hard time anymore (at least not the same problem I hope) :p:)

Hmmm. Interesting and helpful info. Glad I checked here before buying an Easy Motion Evo Cross that seemed to have charging issues when I went for a demo. I'm a complete noob to this world and $3 large is a lot of money to dump into an e bike that has QC issues with its battery systems. That Yamaha based Haibike is looking better! Thanks @Erik.N. and @JJBJ for the information

Hmmm. Interesting and helpful info. Glad I checked here before buying an Easy Motion Evo Cross that seemed to have charging issues when I went for a demo. I'm a complete noob to this world and $3 large is a lot of money to dump into an e bike that has QC issues with its battery systems. That Yamaha based Haibike is looking better! Thanks @Erik.N. and @JJBJ for the information
I am jjbj and I stopped posting because so many reviewers attacked me. The shop has tried to help and are just as perplexed by this problem as I am. They are great guys and would have never helped me pick this bike if they were aware of this issue. It seems the company has worked harder at concealing the issue than fixing it. This has been even more of a problem for them because my bike is in shop being worked on regularly for free. No matter what anyone does or tries the problem persists.
As I have said before this was my only transportation in DC. I own a three thousand dollar bike that I can not ride anywhere. I have paid for hundreds of bus rides and ubers to get around. Not one person from BH has done anything except flame me.
If you search deep enough online behind the reviewer and manufacturers sites you will find intermittent battery failure of BH in most models has been around at least since early 2015. There are even a well accepted acronym for this type of failure and is used repeatedly with reference to BH Electric bikes. Reviewers like The most viewed (BR) failure to ever mention this or address it is irresponsible.
Just more fake news on the internet.

I am jjbj and I stopped posting because so many reviewers attacked me. The shop has tried to help and are just as perplexed by this problem as I am. They are great guys and would have never helped me pick this bike if they were aware of this issue. It seems the company has worked harder at concealing the issue than fixing it. This has been even more of a problem for them because my bike is in shop being worked on regularly for free. No matter what anyone does or tries the problem persists.
As I have said before this was my only transportation in DC. I own a three thousand dollar bike that I can not ride anywhere. I have paid for hundreds of bus rides and ubers to get around. Not one person from BH has done anything except flame me.
If you search deep enough online behind the reviewer and manufacturers sites you will find intermittent battery failure of BH in most models has been around at least since early 2015. There are even a well accepted acronym for this type of failure and is used repeatedly with reference to BH Electric bikes. Reviewers like The most viewed (BR) failure to ever mention this or address it is irresponsible.
Just more fake news on the internet.

I have not experienced any more cut outs, so hopefully they fixed the problem. However, my main concern now is RUST. Not on the frame, but some parts seems to be of low quality for sure....and this happened before the winter "salt season". Now I'm afraid of using the bike in the wintertime since a lot of the roads are salted.

I tried to do a claim in the store in where I bought it, but the store would not accept it as a claim and said that it was normal for bikes and that I should just use rust spray.. BS in my opinion! I have a regular bike that's 7 years old and it is not affected in the same way as my EVO. E.g. if you buy the cheapest Fiat you won't expect to find parts that starts rusting after 5 months during the summer and early autumn season.

Even though the Big Bud Pro is a cool and special bike I would NOT recommend EVO bikes due to the quality issues I've seen. Steer away and buy something else. Haibike will probably be the next bike for me.

I'm experiencing cut outs on my Nitro City 2015 (bought as demo bike in Nov 2016 from importer in Sweden).

Two types:
1. I stop at a red light like a minute and then power is gone but LCD still on, showing assist level. Need to turn off and on.
2. Under strong effort, like a steep climb and max power request ("Turbo" on the Nitro), the bike will shut down, LCD off.

The bike spent a week at the importer's workshop, they tested the battery and said "no problem, strange".
Cut outs happened again, with one additional weird thing after total shut down: the LCD switched to MPH figures from KM/H (ie. shows 20 instead of 32) but the legend still says "KM/H".
The throttle-only mode in max speed shows 14 instead of 20 too.
Note: on my LCD, you can not select/switch distance units (km/h vs mph), only wheel size.

My store is exploring a full bike swap -for a more recent model ?- with the importer.

Back