Europe e-bike for newbie

manytu

Region
Europe
Good morning people,

I am from Greece and in case that my size matter i am 190cm and 95kg right now and i would like to join the e-bike community.

I was riding MTB so far and hitting some local trails, but right now i would like to change my direction to e-bike,maybe trekking, so i might commute to work (it's not really safe right now as there is no bicycle lane of course and it's a steep downhill-uphill for >3km. Other than commute, that i don't really see it becoming a regular thing, i would like to go for long rides and be more on the move. In other words, to change my lifestyle to be more active. ( i am active, i hit the gym etc etc)

So, because i have no idea about maintenance the main thing i got from looking around here is to go with local stores instead of buying on-line.

My budget is around 1500-1800euro.

I made some visits and i have a local stores close to me with:
  1. Giant bikes, ROAM E+GTS i can get this one around 1400euro with goverment fund. Also there is EXPLORE E+ 4 GTS that i can get around 1600 euro. And there are many others from Giant like Explore E+ 3 GTS ,Giant Amiti E+3 that is around 1950euro. Those prices might be minues 400 extra euro but that depends of an extra fund that im not sure if it's 100% legit.
  2. Rock Machine, STORM E70-29 i can get this one around 1000 euro. STORM INT E90-29 TOURING and STORM E90-29 TOURING around 1200 euro.

The key question is: Do you have a dealer around who would handle servicing (especially on the electrical part) and handle the warranty? If yes, go Giant. A well known, reliable brand.

The Rock Machine is not promising. Quite poor components. An unknown motor (it is not Yamaha!) Only asking for the trouble unless you have a dealer around and a good warranty.

The key question is: Do you have a dealer around who would handle servicing (especially on the electrical part) and handle the warranty? If yes, go Giant. A well known, reliable brand.

The Rock Machine is not promising. Quite poor components. An unknown motor (it is not Yamaha!) Only asking for the trouble unless you have a dealer around and a good warranty.
Both Giants and Rock machines dealerships are close to me. Less than 20 minutes away. Both said they handle the service including the electrical part.

Rock machine has 2 years warranty on battery. They told me the motor is made in Japan.

I recommend you consider a Giant. The brand is transparent on what they are using for their e-bikes, and all components are good quality. The motors on Giant e-bikes are called SyncDrive and come from Yamaha Japan (these are various Yamaha PW- motors).

Two of the Rock Machine e-bikes you have shown have an outdated design of the battery integration, only Touring has it done better. The name of the motor is SportDrive. There is no well known motor such as Sport Drive MD250S (and I doubt it is Japanese).

Yes, Giant e-bikes are more expensive. The cost is for good components, renowned motors and safe batteries as well as for the warranty you can trust. E-bikes are far more advanced than traditional bikes and it is worthwhile to go with a sustainable, well known brand.

I recommend you consider a Giant. The brand is transparent on what they are using for their e-bikes, and all components are good quality. The motors on Giant e-bikes are called SyncDrive and come from Yamaha Japan (these are various Yamaha PW- motors).

Two of the Rock Machine e-bikes you have shown have an outdated design of the battery integration, only Touring has it done better. The name of the motor is SportDrive. There is no well known motor such as Sport Drive MD250S (and I doubt it is Japanese).

Yes, Giant e-bikes are more expensive. The cost is for good components, renowned motors and safe batteries as well as for the warranty you can trust. E-bikes are far more advanced than traditional bikes and it is worthwhile to go with a sustainable, well known brand.
It makes sense to go with the known brand, you are right.

Thank you very much for your insight.

I owned the Roam E+GTS, and for the money, it is one of the best ebikes out there. I have also owned the Explorer E+, which is also a Giant product with a slightly stronger motor (60nm vs 50nm). The Roam and Explorer were both trouble-free bikes, that road very well, I just prefer the Syncdrive Pro motor on the Fastroad with 80nm of torque. Good luck, but I would go with the Giant.

After the discussion i rent for 1 month the ROAM E+GTS and it was amazing. Also i test ride for like ~300m the ROCK MACHINE and it was terrible to be honest.

Though, it is not avalaible for my size to buy and i am willing to spend a little more. Right now, available bikes to buy for around 1.500 euro are Giant Explore E+3 GTS and KTM MACINA CROSS 510. I rode the ktm for nearly ~200m and it was really good. I couldn't try the explorer yet because there was no availability.

As far as what the sales person said, KTM's motor is really good. And for the Giant i had a really good experience with the ROAM.

Any thoughts?

After looking at the specifications of both e-bikes, I can tell you the KTM is a better proposition of the two. I have paid attention to small but important details for both e-bikes.

KTM has far better wheels than the Giant (named components, strong wheels good for a heavy e-bike and the rider). Only this alone tells me a lot about the quality of the KTM compared to the Giant. The motor in the KTM is stronger than it is in the Giant. If I were to choose one of the two, it would be the KTM.

The only question: Can be the KTM (or Giant) serviced locally by a Local Bike Shop? If yes, do not hesitate! Go KTM!

P.S. I looked even more closely to the KTM. Man! The KTM engineers really were thinking when designing the Macina! Different spoke thickness for the front and real wheel! Centerlock for mounting the brake rotors! Impressive!

Last edited:
Back