Error 8 and loud noises from the hub, combined with drop in power

nerdymobile

I searched the forum and couldn't find anyone with this kind of problem, specifically not the Error 8.

I got my bike late last summer as a commuter. It's about 12 miles to work, we have a bike room at work, so it's perfect.

After a week or so of riding, I got an Error 8 and a loud noise from the hub - kind of a grinding, but not exactly. Accompanied by an immediate loss of power. Typically after 5-10 seconds, the display will come back online, but no power is produced. I stop the bike, turn off the battery, wait, turn it back on, turn the controller/display back on. And sometimes it works again, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works for a few minutes, and then throws another error 8.

Sometimes the Error 8 has a loud noise from the hub, sometimes none. Either way, total loss of power. Sometimes it'll error 8 and then i get a low pitched hum from the hub as I'm pedaling out of traffic to stop. It's hard to capture because it's intermittent, but I got it on my way to work the other day: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tSNaEjz4m723Wa5m9

I've emailed about the problems and repeatedly get told to check my cable connections. They're all tight. I somehow thought maybe the cable coming out of the hub was causing the problem, so I've given it some electrical tape to keep the rubber cap affixed over that cable connection to protect it - all to no avail.

Basically, it's an intermittent failure that I can't identify the cause of. I've finally asked Juiced to replace it, and they're having me send in the wheel. They seem skeptical that this is a problem - it's crazy frustrating. I have been in a few dangerous situations where I'm going 20+ mph and then suddenly lose speed going through an intersection. Not good.

Anyone else have a problem like this? Any insight?

Thanks, but doesn't do much to help. All the connections are solid. Has to be something internal to the motor. The noise is awful.
There are several hall sensors in the motor, 3 in my Bafang. That means either one of the hall sensors has failed, or there is a cold solder joint on one of the sensors. You will need to check those or get a new motor. No idea what Juiced warranty is. Lots of videos on YouTube for replacing hall sensors, I think it's a fairly common problem.

Back