Entour E+ 1 (2019) Abus in-situ bike lock problem with key removal

Vic Russell

I have a problem with my Abus (in-situ) bike lock on my new Entour E+ 1 2019. When unlocked, the key cannot be removed. The key can only be removed when I have locked the bike. I use a more secure lock in most situations and only want to use the Abus occasionally. If I leave the Abus unlocked, someone can lock my bike and go off with the key. Unfortunately there are people that might do this!. Also they could steal my battery once they have locked the bike and released the key; it uses the same key for the battery. I know I could always lock the Abus but that means I have the possibility of losing the key. It cannot be on a key ring in this situation. I don't want to be carrying two keys; one for the Abus and one on a key ring for the more secure lock used to connect the bike to a post or something fixed.
Am I missing something here? This seems a really daft arrangement. Abus do make a version where the key can be removed when unlocked and that is what I and I would think most people would actually want. My Abus came fitted to the bike so I don't think I really have an option to change. Any ideas?

Back