Encouraging??

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I find it somewhat encouraging that EBR members, and also those on other forums I frequent, have reported little or no virus related illness with themselves, friends or family. I also find it heartening that so many are able to get out and ride. We must be doing something right!

Unfortunately, I may be the exception here. I have a rather large extended family and three weeks ago, my 16 year old niece was diagnosed with Covid-19. She was attending private school in Vancouver at the time. The school sent her home to Toronto and thankfully, she has fully recovered. Fortunately she did not transmit the virus to other family members due to strict quarantine measures, nor were any of her classmates affected. A close call to be sure.

I hope everyone here stays safe and illness free during these trying times.

Best wishes for your niece.

We were going to have our adult son out for dinner tonight but we cancelled! They are saying a lot of asymptomatic spreading going on.
I don't have 3 weeks into this to ruin it now!

Most scientists now suspect that 50% of people may be infected w/ this virus and be asymptomatic. I operate under the assumption that everyone I come around has it, and every surface I touch is infected. There is no other safe way to do this. We're not risking just our health and lives, but everyone we come in contact with.

Count your family lucky.

I'm not yet encouraged knowing one acquaintance and one relative dead last week, both younger than us.

I see too many MEN not staying home!

Count your family lucky.

I'm not yet encouraged knowing one acquaintance and one relative dead last week, both younger than us.

I see too many MEN not staying home!

Agreed!!

Unfortunately, I have an update to my original post. Last night, I found out that my neighbor's 53 y/o son, who lived in Florida, died from the virus. He was otherwise healthy.

Perhaps I was too hasty in using the title "Encouraging?"

Most scientists now suspect that 50% of people may be infected w/ this virus and be asymptomatic. I operate under the assumption that everyone I come around has it, and every surface I touch is infected. There is no other safe way to do this. We're not risking just our health and lives, but everyone we come in contact with.
LOL What else can they say when their projections that Shut down the WHole World aren't what they told us they would be ? Not even remotely close : This is a Big screw up By Top World Scientists : Thye have to say what you posted

Agreed!!

Unfortunately, I have an update to my original post. Last night, I found out that my neighbor's 53 y/o son, who lived in Florida, died from the virus. He was otherwise healthy.

Perhaps I was too hasty in using the title "Encouraging?"
It's a dangerous Virus : But Not as dangerous as they have led us to believe it was going to be : They shut teh Whole world down : Of course they are going to say what they are saying. That's what is wrong with teh World today . Everyone is to Vain to admit they made a Mistake : Granted It's serious But is it really ??? Or..........................

I live in a sparsely populated county, but I watch the virus count climb slowly. In about a week, the count has gone from one to ten, as of yesterday. No deaths, yet. I still see folks out visiting and not observing the distancing. Stay tuned.

I find it somewhat encouraging that EBR members, and also those on other forums I frequent, have reported little or no virus related illness with themselves, friends or family. I also find it heartening that so many are able to get out and ride. We must be doing something right!

Unfortunately, I may be the exception here. I have a rather large extended family and three weeks ago, my 16 year old niece was diagnosed with Covid-19. She was attending private school in Vancouver at the time. The school sent her home to Toronto and thankfully, she has fully recovered. Fortunately she did not transmit the virus to other family members due to strict quarantine measures, nor were any of her classmates affected. A close call to be sure.

I hope everyone here stays safe and illness free during these trying times.
Geez, what school? My daughter attends a school in Vancouver that isn't in the public system. She also happens to be 16 right now.

Geez, what school? My daughter attends a school in Vancouver that isn't in the public system. She also happens to be 16 right now.

I'm not sure of the name. I'll have to ask my sister in law. All I know is it's a private boarding school in the Vancouver area.

I finally started seeing riders wearing face coverings on the trail yesterday.
mask.JPG

My partner works as an occupational therapist in a hospital and we have been living apart for almost a month now. She is, so far, healthy and we have no friends or colleagues infected yet (that we know of). I still see way too many people out and about. Our cases here continue to rise but only about 20 new cases per day, no surges, which is promising and death count is still in single digits. Hopefully we (and the rest of the country) will start to see a downward trend soon. I can’t imagine what it is like to be in any major metropolitan area being hit so hard, my heart goes out. We are living through an historical event in the US right now, one we all hoped would never happen. It’s up to all of us now to do our part to stay safe and defeat this thing. Stay safe and strong all!

It's a dangerous Virus : But Not as dangerous as they have led us to believe it was going to be : They shut teh Whole world down : Of course they are going to say what they are saying. That's what is wrong with teh World today . Everyone is to Vain to admit they made a Mistake : Granted It's serious But is it really ??? Or..........................

Really? It took just 2 days to go from 250 to 500 deaths/day in the US, another 4 to reach 1,000 a day, and yesterday (6 days later) we hit 2,000 people dead in the US - JUST YESTERDAY. In case you haven't noticed, the actions we take today don't have an impact for several weeks, meaning 2,000 deaths yesterday is a result of action taken 2+ weeks ago. When we hit 4,000 deaths a day will you start to care? 8,000? 100,000 total dead? What number will actually matter? Or will it need to be a family member?

Stay Home.

Young people - when infected with Covid-19 - are usually asymptomatic. There is also very low mortality from this virus among them.
The problem is, they are stupid - ah, being young and stupid :) - and tend to ignore social distancing and other "boring" rules, and thus are spreading the disease.

Whatever anyone tells you, we are in the very early days of this pandemic. So it probably is unwise to count unhatched chickens just yet.

I finally started seeing riders wearing face coverings on the trail yesterday.

Yep, started wearing my hoo-rag, with a piece of shop towel inserted, as a mask while riding. I've been avoiding using the packed local trails because neighborhood streets are quiet. The DC Hospital my medical library serves (I'm teleworking) has so far been busy in the ICU but not yet overwhelmed, as long as employers keep supporting the social distancing thing long term I hope we can flatten the curve, drag things out, to manage demand. Sadly the reported disparities in the share of COVID-19 deaths mean DC's African American communities in Wards 7 & 8 are taking a disproportionate hit, but some of our clinicians and fantastic medical student volunteers are on the front lines there staffing testing tents and the local hospital.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine what the 1917 flu must have been like with so little medical knowledge at the time. Harder still to envision what experiencing the medieval plague was like - for those who survived it, that is. Humanity are a resilient and smart bunch these days, though we are paying a price now, at least we all can take some comfort knowing this will be defeated.

I went on a full moon ride last night. 45 degrees outside and 42 miles of road covered between midnight and 2am. Calm wind, no cars other than on an interstate bridge I crossed early in the ride.

Positively surreal experience riding by moonlight with the moon casting a stark shadow of myself and my bike on the road.

Old farmhouses and barns, the road carving a canyon between towering old pine trees, cemeteries looking eternally complacent and deer trotting along in the fields barely noticing a stranger silently gliding past. Shame there aren't others whose circadian rhythms are inverted to share it all with.

I guess that's making the best of it, these days.

Young people - when infected with Covid-19 - are usually asymptomatic. There is also very low mortality from this virus among them.
The problem is, they are stupid - ah, being young and stupid :) - and tend to ignore social distancing and other "boring" rules, and thus are spreading the disease.

All age groups are demonstrating stupidity. It was white haired folks I saw gathered together and conversing. And no, they were not related. They are neighbors, kind of sort of. I'm seeing all ages represented--driving around, having social gatherings, etc. here. I think our location and small population give people a false sense of security.

All age groups are demonstrating stupidity. It was white haired folks I saw gathered together and conversing. And no, they were not related. They are neighbors, kind of sort of. I'm seeing all ages represented--driving around, having social gatherings, etc. here. I think our location and small population give people a false sense of security.

I'm seeing the same thing is a different corner of the same underpopulated county.

Yesterday I saw pretty large contingent of people (about 15-20 and about four big dogs) walking together in way too close proximity to be safe for current conditions.

Refugees fleeing the Pugetopolis are also trickling in, and it appears that at least some of the vacation homes three or more families (supplemented with RVs and camping gear) are packed in fairly tightly. Which does not make me optimistic for our case counts in the near future.

Here in northeast Pennsylvania, Luzerne county is a perfect example of how ignorance, non compliance and perhaps stupidity is affecting the case count. The city of Hazleton, which is not the largest city in the county, has more than 75% of the reported county cases!

It isn't known for sure why this is happening but there are theories regarding the largely Hispanic population. Distrust of police and local government combined with the language barrier may be a contributing factor. Many businesses are defying the governors orders to close and citizens are gathering in larger than permitted groups. Only 2 in 10 people seem to be wearing masks in public. Local officials have asked the governor to use the National Guard to enforce a curfew which so far has not been implemented.

Back