eMTB Options For 2024

On another note, I have been shopping mountain bikes like mad, and there just isn't much available, everything is sold out and all the factories closed for months, so they don't even have bikes to ship. Some have lead times out to a year.
There are a few high-end models you can find, but everything cheaper has been sold. The Orbea I liked, won't be available in alloy for a year.

Others list models for sale, but don't actually have them to sell, and can't get them. It's gnarly out there, buyer beware. :oops:

Even Giant won't have bikes till October.
My local Trek dealer looks like an empty warehouse.

Word from my lbs was giant resumed production before many of the other manufacturers so 2021 giant are starting to arrive in oz but other brands will be a few months. I suspect the delay you are seeing has more to do with regional distributers ?

I know bikes are assembled and boxed and fill a container for shipping around the world. My LBS got a shipment of 2021 Giant bikes and they sold out in a couple of days. There simply is no selection or inventory currently.

What is the best MTB dual suspension value out there that u can get within a month?

If your buget is $5G’s or up, there are options. A few good options. Otherwise, there just isn’t anything, everything is sold out here, and online.

I’m sorely tempted to pick up a Trance advanced pro 29 - 3 for $3350. My LBS has two red ones in size M, I have no idea where they got them - they’ve been sold out for months. But it has basic components that you get with the regular Trance 29 for $2100. The latter are simply alloy unobtanium. :( As is every other alloy mtb.
Yes, there are $4G -plus alloy bikes around. Jenson is getting a few new Ibis Ripmo alloy bikes in.

Or the $4G ORBEA M30 carbon. [shrug] That is more than I paid for my Trance ebike.

Last edited:
On another note, I have been shopping mountain bikes like mad, and there just isn't much available, everything is sold out and all the factories closed for months, so they don't even have bikes to ship. Some have lead times out to a year.

There are a few high-end models you can find, but everything cheaper has been sold. The Orbea I liked, won't be available in alloy for a year.

Others list models for sale, but don't actually have them to sell, and can't get them. It's gnarly out there, buyer beware. :oops:

Even Giant won't have bikes till October. My local Trek dealer looks like an empty warehouse.

Browneye, have you checked out Competitive Cyclist... they have dozens of MTBs in stock. The good stuff! ;)

1597724795598.png

Last edited:
Or the $4G ORBEA M30 carbon. [shrug] That is more than I paid for my Trance ebike.

I figure if I have to pedal a mtb up a hill unasisted, it'd need to be bloody good to justify leaving my emtb at home. So spending on something exotic almost makes sense - especially when you consider a memtb is more likely to still be functional in 4/5 years but an emtb will have obsolete tech in 2/3.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy clunking around on old faithful

Attachments

• 633C1391-6265-422E-A22D-D73410EBF8CF.jpeg
    633C1391-6265-422E-A22D-D73410EBF8CF.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 260
Now I'm lost :)

EMTB, Electric Mountain Bike... ;)
MEMTB, My Electric Mountain Bike.

Last edited:
The sizing difference between 2.4 - 2.6 - 2.8 is just not that much. The overall width is also reflected in the overall tire volume. So unless you're super sensitive, a pro, or super keen eyeballs, they're REALLY hard to tell apart.
You're probably right, Chris, yet the visual difference between different treads is shocking. I named my Trance "Monster" because the looks of the Minions and High Rollers were formidable. The Rekons are almost slick, compared... :) My brothers had a closer look at the original tyres and found out the rear one was quite worn out already.

EMTB, Electric Mountain Bike... ;)
memtb= me powered
:D

You're probably right, Chris, yet the visual difference between different treads is shocking. I named my Trance "Monster" because the looks of the Minions and High Rollers were formidable. The Rekons are almost slick, compared... :) My brothers had a closer look at the original tyres and found out the rear one was quite worn out already.

:D

Nah, he's wrong.

Swapping from 2.6 to 2.5 makes a difference to handling, even 2.35 to 2.3 is noticeable. Whilst it's hard to see the difference , you can definitely feel it - it's like dropping 10 psi in pressure - the tyre is still round but it changes how the bike feels.

Probably more evident for those of us who rely on the bike to compensate for a lack of skill?

Browneye, have you checked out Competitive Cyclist... they have dozens of MTBs in stock. The good stuff! ;)

I can definately recommend Competitive Cyclist as I bought a nice 2019 Santa Cruz Carbon Tallboy last Black Friday for 40%off.

While the cheaper bikes are out of stock, more expensive bikes are still around and could possibly be snatched up on black friday.

Nah, he's wrong.

Swapping from 2.6 to 2.5 makes a difference to handling, even 2.35 to 2.3 is noticeable. Whilst it's hard to see the difference , you can definitely feel it - it's like dropping 10 psi in pressure - the tyre is still round but it changes how the bike feels.

Probably more evident for those of us who rely on the bike to compensate for a lack of skill?

Shredding? Or on road or bike path?? 😉

I figure if I have to pedal a mtb up a hill unasisted, it'd need to be bloody good to justify leaving my emtb at home. So spending on something exotic almost makes sense - especially when you consider a memtb is more likely to still be functional in 4/5 years but an emtb will have obsolete tech in 2/3.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy clunking around on old faithful

This does make some sense - if I have to pedal the darn thing it better be easy, eh?
So you would recommend a carbon lightweight with good components then? Otherwise I won't like riding it, right?

Thanks, had not shopped them recently. Utah, right?
Funny, when you filter down for 29" wheels, full suspension, alloy frame, there are 3 bikes, all backordered. LOL And they START at $3200. Ibis Ripmo AF is very highly rated, albiet a bit heavy at nearly 35lbs.
They do have some carbon bikes that are well rated - the Ibis Ripley is one, and a couple of the Santa Cruz models - high tower and high boy, about four grand.

That carbon base-Trance at my LBS is looking better all the time. I better jump on one of the two they have left, or I'll have to wait for more bikes to ship out of the various factories.
Trance Advanced 29 Pro-3 below, $3250. Carbon frame, base model. This is the same bike as the Trance 29 -3 in alloy, that sells/sold for $2150. I feel like if I would rather get a nicer component set for a few hundred more, with an alloy frame. I think I would be happier with it. Just not sure though, no experience with pedalic mountain bikes. I'm having a hard time with the prospect of spending an extra $1200 or so for a carbon frame on any MTB. That's what the difference works out to, when you compare equal component sets - suspension, shifter, brakes, wheels, etc.

MY20TranceADPRO293_ColorA.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry, I missed that part. And we mix it up on here...electric and non.

The eMTB's are slim pickings. I would still choose something from the big-3, Giant, Trek, or Specialized. They are unobtanium currently. You'll have to wait for the '21 models to arrive. All are excellent e-mountain bikes.
Come to think of it, The Path bikeshop here in Tustin has a couple of emtb's - I think they have a Scott and a Trance or two, maybe a Stance.

For 'boutique brands', you could shop these in no particular order:
Pivot
Canyon
Commencal
YT (I just checked - all sold out for the year)
Yamaha (My dealer has no indication of when they'll be available)
Scott
Rocky Mountain
Ibis
Santa Cruz (The heckler is highly rated, albiet a bit spendy)

And surely there are others. All are big-$$.
If I was buying today I would be trying to get one of the new Yamahas.

Browneye , Think of how much joy your trance has given you - even at full price it would have been good value? If you intend to invest in a carbon trance , it needs to be higher spec or you'll be spending a fortune on upgrades.

Having said that, I believe the 2020 trance 29 is the model built bike the engineers rather than marketing department - that short travel rear end makes sense to a rider but not to an advertiser. You will NEVER be able to sell it second hand because it looks " old" next to a x29 , but it'll be a great bike to ride. Go look for a 1/2 version .

Last edited:
Yeah, I did some reading on the Trance-3 components, and too many early failures with the SLX drivetrain. Everything I read said the XT shifts better than a SLX - I can't imagine downgrading from my e-Trance.
The Marzochi Z2 gets decent reviews, but doesn't stack up to Fox Float either. And everybody says the brakes aren't up to downhill, so for the $$ I would spend upgrading it over time, I just plunked it all down on a better model...

I put a deposit on a ORBEA Occam M30 Eagle: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/mountain/occam/cat/occam-m30-eagle

They have two size M left in the dark gray finish, carbon fiber, 28lbs. It's a beautiful bike.
Should I ask them to change out the tires? Probly $50 for Minions. Or just run the fast-rollers 'till I'm tired of them?

L263TTCC-NE-SIDE-OCCAM_M30_EAGLE.jpg

Back