EMTB Mode is here

motostrano

EMTB Mode launched last week and we've been upgrading BOSCH CX models now with a lot of great feedback. I had a chance to try the EMTB mode on a ski resort a few weeks ago in France on some Moustache ebikes. Love it and this changes everything with how the Bosch system functions.

Your bike can be upgraded if you have the Walk Assist option enabled. Once you do upgrade though, Walk Assist goes away and there's no undoing the upgrade.

Look for more tweaks in the months ahead from Bosch.

Walk Mode disabled? Must have been another insurance liability issue. Oh well...

Edit: Sorry, Walk Assist.

Last edited:
I'm about to take delivery of the XDuro Trekking 4.0 for on-road commuting use. I had planned to ride a lot in Sport mode to take advantage of the higher torque of the CX motor and my commute has a lot of start/stop with a few busy intersections. Would I benefit from the eMTB mode for a commuting application? When I mentioned the software update to the LBS the other day they were aware of it but felt it wouldn't be of any benefit for my application and they told me that it really more benefits mountain bikers who need to have their hands off the controls over technical terrain.

I'm about to take delivery of the XDuro Trekking 4.0 for on-road commuting use. I had planned to ride a lot in Sport mode to take advantage of the higher torque of the CX motor and my commute has a lot of start/stop with a few busy intersections. Would I benefit from the eMTB mode for a commuting application? When I mentioned the software update to the LBS the other day they were aware of it but felt it wouldn't be of any benefit for my application and they told me that it really more benefits mountain bikers who need to have their hands off the controls over technical terrain.
In a drag race, it's torque that gets you off the line and up to speed. So I would say the start/stop nature of your commute would be helped by the CX motor.

In a drag race, it's torque that gets you off the line and up to speed. So I would say the start/stop nature of your commute would be helped by the CX motor.
Thanks. I'm hoping for that. I'm wondering if the eMTB mode would help over the standard Bosch CX setup. I figured it would - providing the torque of Sport mode from starting up at intersections and then backing off during cruising. But perhaps it isn't of any benefit vs just riding in Sport mode. Really just trying to understand the new eMTB mode for a commuting application.

Thanks. I'm hoping for that. I'm wondering if the eMTB mode would help over the standard Bosch CX setup. I figured it would - providing the torque of Sport mode from starting up at intersections and then backing off during cruising. But perhaps it isn't of any benefit vs just riding in Sport mode. Really just trying to understand the new eMTB mode for a commuting application.
Yeah, I don't receive my CX motor equipped bike for another week or so, and I'm chomping at the bit to try this new facet of the Bosch system.

Your bike can be upgraded if you have the Walk Assist option enabled. Once you do upgrade though, Walk Assist goes away and there's no undoing the upgrade.

I wonder if this is specific to the OEM, as I've upgraded a few of our Bosch Performance Line CX here and they have both eMTB Mode and Walk Assist still.

EMTB Mode launched last week and we've been upgrading BOSCH CX models now with a lot of great feedback. I had a chance to try the EMTB mode on a ski resort a few weeks ago in France on some Moustache ebikes. Love it and this changes everything with how the Bosch system functions.

Look for more tweaks in the months ahead from Bosch.

My 2017 Bulls SIX50+ E FS 3 was updated to the new eMTB mode a couple days ago. Walk assist still works just fine, It was not disabled.

I have a 2017 Bulls SIX50+ E FS 3 that I've ridden about 25 times for a total distance of approximately 250 miles. My 10.5 mile loop has a 22 degree grade for about mile and then has some shorter steeper climbs as well. Two days ago I had the firmware updated from 1.6.0.0 to 1.7.0.0 which gave me the new eMTB mode. I didn't like it at first but after a couple miles I liked it better than regular sport mode. It does reduce the number of pedal assist level changes and I was hoping they had fixed the surging problem when in a larger gear on the flats but they didn't. I've only been on one 10.5 mile ride with the new mode so haven't had a chance to determine the effect on range. Someone else reported that they saw an increase in battery consumption but I didn't see that on my first ride. I'll post again once I've ridden with the new mode a few more times.

We do a lot of varied touring with our bikes and this upgrade leaves us in a bit of a pickle.

e-MTB mode would be useful on some but not all of our riding where there is a lot of steep uphill.

But I often use the bike as a trainer, keeping it in tour mode but pushing hard to get the wattage expended high for building fitness.

As I understand this new mode I could not do that as the system would inject more battery power when I put more effor5 in.

I would love this mode instead of Turbo, but not to replace tour->turbo.

For the long rides we do in flatter terrain the e-Mtb mode would consume more power as well, or limit us only to using Eco.

I see this as more Bosch control freakery. Am I paranoid to notice how much batteries cost and how this mode might increase the need for the dual battery option?

I would love this mode instead of Turbo, but not to replace tour->turbo.

For the long rides we do in flatter terrain the e-Mtb mode would consume more power as well, or limit us only to using Eco.

eMTB mode replaces Sport mode not Tour. So you have nothing to worry about.

eMTB mode replaces Sport mode not Tour. So you have nothing to worry about.
I think they meant "tour thru turbo". At least that's how I perceived it. And I've wondered the same. Why jam this totally different mode in between other modes that are alike, except for the percentage of torque added. Wouldn't it make sense to add this at the top of the order? There must be a limitation somewhere in the hardware or software that would force such an inelegant decision.

Wouldn't it make sense to add this at the top of the order?

It would have made much more sense, so I have no idea why they didn't either position the mode in place of Turbo, or just a add another setting altogether.

My new bike has it and I hate it. I shall be getting it removed at the first available opportunity.

It would have made much more sense, so I have no idea why they didn't either position the mode in place of Turbo, or just a add another setting altogether.

My new bike has it and I hate it. I shall be getting it removed at the first available opportunity.
Hopefully you'll be able to go back. I've heard someone here on this site state that Bosch does not allow loading "old" firmware versions. Reminds me of an Apple product.

Something I am wondering, can you not just use the custom drive modes? You have to buy an in-app purchase but its not expensive compared to the price of a battery or bike ;-). I am wondering if these still work as before. If so then its possible to have both options, custom drive modes can be set to the same power curves as the older Eco through Turbo, and standard would be Eco/Tour/eMTB.

I have the customisation apps and find the custom drive modes not particularly useful, this would make them a lot handier.

The customised screens are preferable to me as I can get tons more useful data on than the standard views.

I think they meant "tour thru turbo". At least that's how I perceived it. And I've wondered the same. Why jam this totally different mode in between other modes that are alike, except for the percentage of torque added. Wouldn't it make sense to add this at the top of the order? There must be a limitation somewhere in the hardware or software that would force such an inelegant decision.

It would have been much better design to have it replace the Turbo mode, but I suspect there are cases where it is preferable to 'lock in' Turbo mode so they had to keep it.

Ideally they would have kept the four and added it as a fifth option at the top. I guess they didn't because they have made previous engineering decisions that made that impractical

Just returned from 10 days mountain biking in NC with new MTBE upgrade. I really like it. I put it in mtbe mode and leave it there. It is much smoother than manually shifting the boost level. It also reduces the need to shift gears as the torque changes via mtbe accomplish the same result. I have a Bulls Monster EFS and still don't have walk assist capability. I see from an earlier post from a Bulls owner that it works, so wonder what I am doing wrong. Suggestions?
Also, has anyone changed out the Intuvia for the Purion? If so, does the plug in the motor have a catch that has to be released, or do you just pull it out? The Intuvia is exposed to crashes and the plastic wedges holding it on will shear, disabling the bike. I zip tied it back on until I can switch to the Purion which I can mount so it is not as exposed.

Just returned from 10 days mountain biking in NC with new MTBE upgrade. I really like it. I put it in mtbe mode and leave it there. It is much smoother than manually shifting the boost level. It also reduces the need to shift gears as the torque changes via mtbe accomplish the same result. I have a Bulls Monster EFS and still don't have walk assist capability. I see from an earlier post from a Bulls owner that it works, so wonder what I am doing wrong. Suggestions?

How to enable walk assist; 1) Select a speed (Eco,tour,sport/emtb,turbo). 2) press the walk assist button. 3) within 2 seconds of pressing the walk button press the + button and the bike will start walking. Let me know if that works for you :)

Thanks for your advice, but to no avail. I have tried all suggestions in the thread and nothing works. My bike guy is going to Interbike this week and will try to get answers from both Bulls bikes and Bosch. Will update this if I find out anything useful.

Back