EMBT RAMBLAS? Thoughts?

Neverlost

Region
USA
This looks like a very interesting bike, especially since there are dealers that can support this. It seems like a lot of bike for the money but the proprietary mid Drive motor is a little bit worrisome. There is a two-year warranty, which makes us seem like a very good possibility, but hopefully people will weigh in that have had Service from the dealers locally and can shed some light.

It's got good specs. They should've gone with a rear suspension though.

You tube reviews from serious MTB sites have been very positive on this bike. They seem to be very impressed with the motor, the front fork, the drivetrain, the brakes and the overall geometry of the bike. I have seen people ride the living shoot out of this bike, huge jumps, gnarley rocks, it seems to actually be very impressive for the price, and very capable. And for the person who said it needs a throttle, mountain bikes don't have throttles, son.

The motor reliability will be key. I have noticed the dealer network they advertise isn’t near as big as I thought. The first two dealers that I called had never heard of it.

I've watched a few reviews of this ebike, hoping that it was a possible purchase. But the motor seems to Whine - louder than I've heard any other motor whine. I had to write it off for that reason alone. It may be after a few generations, this issue could be resolved. And at that point, we'll have data on reliability also.

I test rode a Ramblas today on the street, but with a fair amount of climbs. It rode very well, although I agree I'd prefer to have a rear suspension. However, I've done plenty of mountain bike riding in the past with a hard tail. I'm 5'8", but long waisted (30 in inseam), and both the medium and large size fit me pretty well so I'd probably go with a large since I felt a bit too upright on the medium (although a handlebar extender could be added).

I currently have a Specialized Turbo Levo and the SRAM brakes (four piston) and shifter (12 speed) on the Ramblas are just one grade below the Levo and feel very similar, although the shifting was a bit clunkier on the Ramblas (maybe because it's a new bike). Strangely, the Ramblas motor (rated at 100Nm vs 90Nm for the Levo) seemed a bit weaker when climbing but the three assist settings are fully programmable and I think the Ramblas default is at 80nm (based what I think I saw on the review here) instead of 100nm although I could not confirm that. The motor noise on the Ramblas is noticeable, but not too bad IMO. The Brose 2.2 on the Levo was quieter when new, but it's quite a bit noisier than the Ramblas now. I tried getting the whining motor on the Levo replaced under warranty but Specialized said it was "in-spec" and denied their warranty. A replacement motor is about $1300. I can get a Ramblas for less than double that due to rebates on new e-bikes available here ($450 from Colorado and $150 from my electric company). The other thing I liked a lot about the Ramblas is I was told a replacement battery is just $500 compared to about $1300 for the Levo (both are just over 700 Whr). At least my Levo original battery is still going strong.

Anyway, like the reviewer here, I was impressed with how nice the bike is for the price and for being a brand new model. I have to agree that there is a big potential risk in getting one now because of the unproven motor. My Levo motor still works well, but the whining got loud at around 600 miles (I have 2200 miles on it now in a year and a half of ownership). If I got a Ramblas I'd probably look at replacing the spring shock with an air shock although the stock shock felt OK to me on the test ride.

For me it comes down to the motor, including how much faith I would have with a new motor from Specialized. I've read the Brose 2.2 still has a lot of issues and it was sad that mine got a problem after just 600 miles. My guess is Aventon would take care of any motor issues since their reputation would be at stake, but who knows?

Direct to consumer bike companies don’t really care about post sale issues do they?
That is a very general question. I had a recent issue with an Aventon Level V2 that I purchased directly from Aventon, and they were very responsive. They sent two parts out to remedy the issue, and although I will be replacing the parts myself, they also offered additional money to have the parts installed at a bike shop.

That is a very general question. I had a recent issue with an Aventon Level V2 that I purchased directly from Aventon, and they were very responsive. They sent two parts out to remedy the issue, and although I will be replacing the parts myself, they also offered additional money to have the parts installed at a bike shop.
Aventon has the largest post-sale network of service dealers. I purchased two Aventon Levels back in 2020, when they had no dealer/service network. My two warranty claims went well. I still own one of the Levels. It has performed flawlessly since 2020.

Back