Electrified Specialized Roll Sport

Pop

Shortly after I joined the forum I sought advice on what kit to install on my pedal bike, a Specialized Roll Sport.
I ordered a Bafang 500 mid mount kit and a 48/12.5 battery.
The kit arrived last week and the battery today.
Timing in life is everything and as it happened a good friend was passing through town and stayed a couple of days to help(do) the install.
The only challenge we had were the process to remove the brake handle in the Shimano rear derailleur shifter. I had taken the bike into the local bike shop to have the Specialized centre hub removed and the rest of the installation was straightforward (for my friend!).
We also added some aftermarket fenders as it is very likely I will not get away with a dry ride everytime where I live.
Battery install was easy peasy and I took it for a short ride today. Everything works!
Final touches include bundling the nest of wires into some kind of bag or box centred in the handle bars, tweaking some of the other wires, adjusting the brakes and installing the headlight that came with the kit.
When I ordered it I did not pay attention to the digital display. It is pretty tiny so not sure whether I might swap it out at some point in the future.
Bike runs great, seems quicker than my Rad City.
I am a happy guy! 41418414194142041421

Same. Wifey's Roll Sport, geared-hub kit. She loves it. 👍

I decided to change the front crank set to a single 42T - she never shifted anyway, the 38 center was a little short, the 48 a little tall, and now with hub-drive in between is perfect. Plus it cleaned up the bars, I could now use the Bafang cut-off brake handle. Also cleaned up the seat-tube base with the front deralleur out of there. I have a 7-speed trigger-shifter coming for the right side, divorced from the brake handle. The magnet thingy works okay, but the shifter is too far away with the thumb throttle in there.

The Roll is a perfect candidate for a conversion!

Nice job!
I went with 44 tooth centre.
Is that a Specialized rack you have in the back? Or after market?

Thanks! Yours too. The Roll is a perfect bike for a conversion. In fact, I almost bought a new one for myself.

I think if you're going to ride over 20mph much the 44T will work out better. Wifey isn't too speedy on hers. In fact, I've got the max-speed limit set at 20 and she's good.

Rack is aftermarket. I think.
It's a little too close to the seat, and the mounting tang for a light is really flimsy, so I was thinking about replacing it.

Reactions: Pop
Back