Electrical Connections

psy1

I am new to eBikes - on verge of buying first one. I am thinking of buying the bike, verifying that all of the electrical components are working properly, and then attempting to bulletproof that by applying some dielectric grease to the connectors and then sealing with liquid electrical tape. Is that a good practice? If not, why not? Thanks.

You haven’t had an ebike and now you want to open one and mess with it....is a good exp.
The wires are not in the open like I mean the connections...
For The better bikes 3k and UP , only places to apply the grease is for the display where it connects at the pins, Then if it has torqur sensor apply it everyhwere around that areA. This are pretty much only places where is doable. Not sure brand you get, it may have some other diff. Set up.
But you’r free to open it up, and also check the controller cables ! Each brand is diff. If is under 1.5k it screams trouble .. unless you build it amd know it.
Enjoy the exp. !

Maybe I was unclear. I was talking about all of the plugs, like the plug that comes from a hub motor and other wiring harness connections. The last thing I want to do is open up anything! I am thinking of the Rad Mini in particular.

Well some company's already have waterproof connectors if that what your worried about. I have a juiced and have abiut 3400 miles on it and have been threw some really bad storms and have never had a problem with it.

In my research it seems that most everybody has no problems - but those who have problems are almost always electrical and many of them are due to moisture problems. Just wondering if there are "best practices" for the end user.

I mean it is never a bad thing to go over and above what the manufacturer has done. But just keep in mind if you get a flat and have to disconnect the hub motor how well did you glue it shut and are you going to have to cut the glue away possibly damaging the wires. But go with a reputable company that has a warranty.

Maybe I was unclear. I was talking about all of the plugs, like the plug that comes from a hub motor and other wiring harness connections. The last thing I want to do is open up anything! I am thinking of the Rad Mini in particular.
The cable to the hub motor is a thick cable and is inside another thicker cable. Is well protected.
Do not hose down the bike, that is how some people el get water where is not supposed to be. Including me few years ago ?...
Like i said the torque sensor it is a little exposed on the e bikes brand i know, not sure if Rad has it. I would cover that area in tape.

Liquid rubber is awful stuff to peel off afterwards. I have used it on repairs that I hope never to touch again, like the time the mice chewed thru the airbag harness and ignition wires on my car.

Putting it on your bike will probably void your warranty. It doubles the labor time should anything electrical ever need to be replaced.

Most commercial bikes with hub motors use this kind of motor connector. The end with pins will fit thru the 12mm hex nut and usually comes out of the motor, unless it's a Rad bike. The connector takes a lot of force to mate, and is fairly waterproof.

9pin (1 of 1).jpg

Worry about the throttle and display. They might have water resistant ratings, but when they sit out in the UV light all day, the rubber seals eventually gets hard.

Back