Electric bike sales have skyrocketed during the coronavirus lockdown

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
A silver lining to the current Pandemic crisis... ;)

As government-imposed lockdowns spread around the US in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, small businesses have been suffering. With people stuck at home and tightening their purse strings, many feared that the hardship would be acutely felt by the scores of electric bicycle companies that have popped up over the last few years.

But as it turns out, the opposite is true. In fact, sales of electric bicycles appear to have exploded recently. Electric bicycle sales numbers had already been on a tear at the end of last year, and have been steadily increasing year over year as the industry has grown.
Now we’re hearing from e-bike companies in both the US and Europe who are reporting record sales figures during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Ah okay, let me get this straight. The economy is the worst it's ever been since the great depression, small businesses are closing everywhere, unemployment is at a all time high, 40% of Americans can't cover a $400 emergency expense, etc, etc, etc, and yet we are to believe ebike sales are exploding! You just got to love this inverted reality. Brought to you by hill and knowlton.

Sounds like those stimulus checks are working to help the environment... don't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

You actually believe that article? Oh wait, sorry, it has to be true "cause i done read it on that there net thingy" Your worse off than I thought, thinking the pittance stimulus checks are free, don't worry, the government bleeding of the people has only started. Never heard, " nothing is free"? Kool aid time !

Funny money or not, if it keeps people off public transit now ( and maybe for the next year) it's probably a good thing. Those buses and subways are petrie dishes.

This is consistent with what I am seeing. I live in an LA suburb and the streets are full of bike riders and walkers. Lots of the bikes are electric. My local bike shop is stuffed floor to ceiling with bike boxes from newly ordered bikes and lots of them are electric. We may have nearly half the population barely hanging on but plenty of people still have money.

What I hear from some manufacturers is the same - their sales are through the roof. Others say they're getting hit pretty hard. So far the distinction seems to be whether or not the manufacturer deals well online, with online-only D2C companies doing the best.

Ah okay, let me get this straight. The economy is the worst it's ever been since the great depression, small businesses are closing everywhere, unemployment is at a all time high, 40% of Americans can't cover a $400 emergency expense, etc, etc, etc, and yet we are to believe ebike sales are exploding! You just got to love this inverted reality. Brought to you by hill and knowlton.

I used the Stim check to assist my first eBike (Why not? It was my tax dollars). I had long prepared for the potential of some crazy event like this so not effected as many are. Coming uncertainty has me planning this bike and solar charging as one more "prep" as horses are not an option for me. This eBike hybrid will make certain trips more practical. So, yeah this was the perfect time to buy and it seems I already have friends getting wise to the idea.
Also, not my situation but those folks on unemployment are suddenly doubling their income in many cases so you have all those younglings with too much "fun money" to consider seeing the bars are closed.

You actually believe that article? Oh wait, sorry, it has to be true "cause i done read it on that there net thingy" Your worse off than I thought, thinking the pittance stimulus checks are free, don't worry, the government bleeding of the people has only started. Never heard, " nothing is free"? Kool aid time !

Ohh, yeah we are on the same page here, I did my best to choose an American based business, D2C company Juiced but really seems China makes out better than any country with this pandemic. Everything comes from China including COVID-19. It seems oddly convenient. ;)

Um, no.

There are still lots of people who are employed, many of them working from home, and there are plenty of retired folks with disposable income. Nearly every bike shop I've spoken with in the last two months that is still open has described insane demand.

You need to keep in mind that e-bikes and bicycles in the US are a tiny market, and even in a collapsing economy such a tiny market might see a 200 or 300 percent growth in sales.

Also, a lot of the people who still have disposable income have far fewer options to spend it. Before this the average American ate ten meals in a restaurant each week. Skip those restaurant meals for two months and you pretty much paid for a new Rad Rover.

I agree with you Mr. Coffee. A lot of people still working, and, as far as the bike market is concerned, and ebikes in particular, there are a lot of retired folks whose incomes are largely unaffected by the COVID-19 economy. At the same time, there are plenty of people out of work who were already barely living paycheck to paycheck. My thoughts and prayers are with them for sure. Those folks certainly aren't driving the ebike market right now, but that doesn't mean ebike sales aren't up.

TT

Roads are relatively empty. People are holed up in homes, eating more than they probably need to. So they want to get out. Weather’s getting nice in the northern hemisphere. I had a substantial summer trip planned and will be getting substantial refunds. Put it all together and I’m eyeing a Turbo Vado 4.0. Guess I’m part of the madness. And I wouldn’t be if not for the lock down. Grocery stores, Amazon, and LBSs... there are winners in this mess.

As @Mr. Coffee said, although the unemployment is very high, it still means most of America is employed. For those that are still employed the stimulus checks are just a bonus rather than survival infusion. There are also cities where public transportation is widely used that many folks are trying to avoid and ebike is the perfect alternative and will likely pay for itself in just a couple of months.

Your ranting sounds like Trump. Fake news!! Hmm....maybe you are Trump!:oops:

Ok I just checked the news. Looks like 57 million (so far) American jobs are in danger.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to cause some kind of domino effect.

Ebikes are not cheap, I'd say average is like $2,000 to $3,000.
In this uncertain economy, I don't know people would just blow $2,000+ on ebikes.
I’d say the vast majority of ebike’s sold are in the $500 - $1000 range. EBR members are more fanatics than the average consumer.

If you live and work in sizeable city a commuter bike pays for itself pretty quickly. Owning a car gets quite expensive after you include all of the costs.

I’d say the vast majority of ebike’s sold are in the $500 - $1000 range. EBR members are more fanatics than the average consumer.
And, I'm sure you're using the term "fanatic" in a GOOD way, right ;) ;) ;)?

Had a short chat with the owner of our LBS last week. She was saying that their business is up, esp for ebike sales. They're a Specialized dealer.

Had a short chat with the owner of our LBS last week. She was saying that their business is up, esp for ebike sales. They're a Specialized dealer.
Specialized's recent 2020 Spring Sale could also have contributed somewhat to that. I personally bought my Vado within the last month significantly due to the sale price.

Back