Electric bike sales have skyrocketed during the coronavirus lockdown

An e-bike is still a bicycle, and bicycle sales are through the roof. I get calls constantly asking for bikes (which I do not have), and the person on the other end tells me they can't find a bike anywhere. I was considering buying inexpensive new bikes for my co-op, just to have some available (bicycle donations are way down) so I checked with one of my distributors. They have very few bikes available, and nothing available of what I would buy.

There are also a lot of people looking for used bikes right now, so if you've got a well-loved bike in your garage that you don't want or need anymore this is a good time to sell it.

Ah okay, let me get this straight. The economy is the worst it's ever been since the great depression, small businesses are closing everywhere, unemployment is at a all time high, 40% of Americans can't cover a $400 emergency expense, etc, etc, etc, and yet we are to believe ebike sales are exploding! You just got to love this inverted reality. Brought to you by hill and knowlton.

PR firms
I have used them. Just remember April was the strongest April for The Dow and the S&P in 82 years.

Ok I just checked the news. Looks like 57 million (so far) American jobs are in danger.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to cause some kind of domino effect.

Ebikes are not cheap, I'd say average is like $2,000 to $3,000.
In this uncertain economy, I don't know people would just blow $2,000+ on ebikes.

50 million out of work and low wage earners. So they can't afford car payments plus insurance.
Go bike.
Average household with one food service or retail worker has 3+ incomes and is 60,000 annual income.

I use an e-bike for 100% of what I do. Don't own a car. The $2700 bike paid for itself in 3 years. It also saves me the equivalent of 6 work weeks free time per year! Just imagine: I'm doing something fun and getting free time in exchange! That's the deal of the century if you ask me.

A $1500 RAD might be the best investment some people ever make. A 7day metro card costs $33 in NYC... and that doesn't count other legs of the journey, such as NJ transportation. As long as you can do all the maintenance yourself, and don't choose a fancy drivetrain the financial math works out. Parts for 10 speed drivetrains are fairly cheap...

Years ago I hired a school Principal who came from NYC and trailed his wife who was a purchasing executive. They owned 1 car. The money they paid for parking was incredibly high. My office in a high rise bank tower in KS was 35 a month I paid per employee for a parking garage. They pay for parking at work and overnight in NYC

Bike sales here are like Christmas and shops are busiest ever.

A Metro doesn't go where bikes can go.

Interesting Marketing promotion.

Those eligible for the discount include:
  • Students (with an eligible email address)
  • Teachers (K-12 and professors)
  • Medical workers (doctors, nurses and medical staff)
  • First responders (police, fire, and EMTs)
  • Military (active duty, veterans and dependents)

I saw a bunch of people today, Tuesday, around 3 or 4 pm in one of the local bike shops around here. The parking lot was full. Not usually a busy shop. And a number of people on test rides through the parking lot. One guy rode by on an ebike. The shop sells mostly Specialized but also Trek and other brands. I wasn't there for that. I was actually intending to go into a Great Clips next door. I checked the LBS website for what sales they are having. They listed a 2019 Powerfly FS5 for $3999 among a bunch of other sale prices across the brands they carry. That's $400 less than what I paid a year ago.

And now I remember there was a second LBS I saw while on my way home that was also unusually crowded, particularly for mid day and mid week. However, never been in that shop but I've always assumed they are not into ebikes. They're kind of a local mountain biking institution with lots of web trail write-ups going back a couple of decades covering ALL the Utah trails.

Here in Sacramento: Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen is closed until further notice and Carmichael Bike Shop is also closed “temporarily”. Seems they misjudged the imminent/current bonanza.

Ok I just checked the news. Looks like 57 million (so far) American jobs are in danger.

In this uncertain economy, I don't know people would just blow $2,000+ on ebikes.

There is a counter-thinking method involved as well. Because money is being magically produced at demand, the money is worth what the money is worth to the first receivers of it. The magical money immediately begins to depreciate the currency, with an end of the dollar having less "concrete" value than it had...therefore you can spend your money now and get more for it than you will in 9 months from now. Think Venezuela. If you had bought a ton of dried food and solar panels and batteries and a few ebikes, and buried them when you had a job and money was worth more than toilet paper per kilo, you'd be better prepared and have had "good" value for your hard earned money vs. getting virtually nothing for it.

And, I'm sure you're using the term "fanatic" in a GOOD way, right ;) ;) ;)?
Either way works. Many people who now don't want to ever get on civic public transportation again would be thinking about ebike travel.

Last edited:
There is a counter-thinking method involved as well. Because money is being magically produced at demand, the money is worth what the money is worth to the first receivers of it. The magical money immediately begins to depreciate the currency, with an end of the dollar having less "concrete" value than it had...therefore you can spend your money now and get more for it than you will in 9 months from now. Think Venezuela. If you had bought a ton of dried food and solar panels and batteries and a few ebikes, and buried them when you had a job and money was worth more than toilet paper per kilo, you'd be better prepared and have had "good" value for your hard earned money vs. getting virtually nothing for it.
Yeah, it is somewhat true that with high inflation and taxation already baked in that some purchases will do you more good long term than money in the bank. However, not very many purchases, and not if debt is required . I did the wood stove and solar panels thing years ago, and still think it was a good move. An ebike is similar ... more work, less convenience but a good overall move.

Back