Electric bike for sand

nhirsch

I'm 200lb and looking for an electric bike I can take to the beach to go fishing on some relatively remote beaches. I figure a round trip won't be more than 20 miles but I want to carry fishing rods, a bucket or two and a other stuff. The bike will likely need at least 5" tires and be corrosion resistant and sand resistant. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sound like some good times! A custom build with a mid drive motor kit will allow you the over wide tires; however, you're gonna be vulnerable to flats, so consider how you're going to prepare for that. Frames can be specially treated to resist the salt and corrosion, but ebikes aren't submersibles! :) Living near the Corpus Christi and Galveston area for a bunch of years, I know the bike rental people do meticulous cleanings and use simple, inexpensive frames since the salt water will do damage, no matter how careful you are. KMC (their Rust Buster) and some other chain manufacturers have chains specifically designed to prevent rusting; they cost a little more but really work. A lot of the rust prevention is going to be up to you!

It would seem that a carbon fiber frame might prevent the problem, at least for the frame. Unfortunately, they are not cheap though there are several fat bikes with carbon frames. I wonder if a self-contained motor/battery system like the ShareRoller would also work well in that environment as it is more contained and sits up higher: http://igg.me/at/shareroller/x/12713097

I also wonder if something like this could be helpful at keeping sand and salt water out of the works: http://imgur.com/a/ShGFm#0
JJxCAs1.jpg

It is based on a feature of the Denny ebike that also used a brush to wipe down the tire as you ride: http://electricbikereport.com/denny-electric-bike-oregon-manifest/
Denny-electric-bike-fender.jpg

Court gives the Boar a really nice review- I think that it would be able to get you to many remote beaches. It has Durable SRAM X5 drivetrain with 10 gears so there is really no limit to how you are using the bike. Also you can upgrade to the RST Renegade Fat bike suspension fork if you needed.

Surface 604 has designed front and rear racks specifically for this bike which would make carrying your fishing gear a cinch.
"The front rack has attachments for saddlebags (panniers) and a large platform conveniently sized to fit a 12-pack of beer. The rear rack also fits standard saddlebags (panniers) and is rated for a whopping 42kg (100lbs) of cargo." (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)\

You can use products such as frame saver and pedros bike lust to help prevent corrosion.

Hope you find a bike that will work or you!

People aren't going to like this but this is what I would do.

Either buy aluminum fatbike and build it yourself with a large battery, at least 1 kWh.. Your range in sand will be 50% less than hardtop, maybe worse.

Or buy an Aluminum Sondors fatbike from Kickstarter. And order the large battery backfit from Kinaye Motorsports, which is a drop in replacement for the little Sondors battery, and increases power by 20%, and range will be 60 miles on hardtop. If you're riding on the beach you don't need a bunch of gears that will corrode.. You also don't want a front suspension that will corrode.

Kinaye battery and charger $600 with shipping (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Sondors AL Fatbike on Kickstarter $800, with shipping https://www.kickstarter.com/project...c-bike-most-affordable-ebike-ever/description

There is a huge demand for Sondors parts, so you can sell the puny Sondors battery and charger for $200 no problem. I know this for a fact.

There are close to 3300 Sondors owners on Facebook that are ready to help you.. And I bet there's a few living no too far.. It's a cult!

$1200 and you have exactly what you need to rig your bike for fishing, and cover some long distances on packed sand.

My guess is that you will destroy that geared hub motor within a year... And you will destroy just about any electric motor if you ride it all the time on the beach.. There are just not made for that kind of abusive service.. At least with the Sondors replacement motors are cheap.. And I would opt for a Direct drive motor.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Seems to me that there will be bits of steel in the bearings, axles and assorted fasteners that will still corrode., unless they are stainless. Motors are also not sealed, and isn't there cheap iron inside? And if it's geared, that sand is gonna grind them down, hub or mid drive. Maybe not worry about salt , and take time to hose off the bike with fresh water when getting home?

A cheap bike like a Sondors, poking along at 10 mph in the sand, replaced every four years, probably makes for a good fishing rig.

Seems to me that there will be bits of steel in the bearings, axles and assorted fasteners that will still corrode., unless they are stainless. Motors are also not sealed, and isn't there cheap iron inside? And if it's geared, that sand is gonna grind them down, hub or mid drive. Maybe not worry about salt , and take time to hose off the bike with fresh water when getting home?

A cheap bike like a Sondors, poking along at 10 mph in the sand, replaced every four years, probably makes for a good fishing rig.
+1

I added a 500watt front hub motor for $275 to my sondors. Range is 35 miles at 19 mph w pas on mix concrete gravel. And top speed of 26 no pas.

If you ride in the hard packed sand ... You should get decent range.

In 2wd mode the 'cheap' sondors is a fun capable bike.

Dont get lead down the $3k bike path.... Not necessary if you can build mod your own.

I added a 500watt front hub motor for $275 to my sondors. Range is 35 miles at 19 mph w pas on mix concrete gravel. And top speed of 26 no pas.

If you ride in the hard packed sand ... You should get decent range.

In 2wd mode the 'cheap' sondors is a fun capable bike.

Dont get lead down the $3k bike path.... Not necessary if you can build mod your own.

Sweet setup! Not everyone can or wants to deal with rolling their own (spicolli! LOL). But also no need to pay 3k if you look for the deals. ;)

Back