Electric Bike Action Interview with Tesla Research Chair Dr. Jeff Dahn

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Tony, the chief editor of Electric Bike Action was present at the Wattwagon 24hr World Record attempt and he interviewed Prof. Dahn about the state of current battery technology and some of the common questions such as solid state batteries, capacitors and where things might go in the EV space.

Prof. Dahn loves E-bikes and uses it all the time when he is in Europe. He really enjoyed riding the Wattwagon and supported the event.

Attached is a PDF of the published interview and here is the Apple Podcast for those who are interested.

PS: Magazine article attached.

1575342493643.png

1575342508075.png

1575342523270.png

1575342543844.png

1575342560538.png

1575342578163.png

Attachments

• EBA - The Wizard of Li-ion.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 597
Last edited:
130$/kw projected cost !! I don’t think any bike company would like to give that secret away.

They will happily charge 8-900$ for a 600wh pack for many decades if they could !!

The amazing thing is that Prof. Dahn says that even cheap cells can last for a few years. Well packs from China are 60-75% cheaper, is just the quality control that they will need to get better at.

Ravi , Did you broke the record ? Congratulations for the efforts and patience you put in. You’re right in the li ion nucleos 😉 there, hope that you can make some better chemistry ebike cells !

Excellent article... thanks for sharing and congrats on your new record. ;)

I have owned a few Teslas and follow Dr. Dahn's research work closely... he has published some great info on maximizing battery life.

His was the first video I watched, 5 or more years ago, with any real science regarding 18650 performance. Temp has always stuck with me as a major contributor to a long or shorter life. Regardless of the myriad of anecdotes many temp related discussions seem to burp.

130$/kw projected cost !! I don’t think any bike company would like to give that secret away.

They will happily charge 8-900$ for a 600wh pack for many decades if they could !!

The amazing thing is that Prof. Dahn says that even cheap cells can last for a few years. Well packs from China are 60-75% cheaper, is just the quality control that they will need to get better at.
Ravi , Did you broke the record ? Congratulations for the efforts and patience you put in. You’re right in the li ion nucleos 😉 there, hope that you can make some better chemistry ebike cells !

Thank you. Yes, we should have the official certificate fairly soon.
The electric revolution is just taking off and in the next 5 years, there will be a major shift in the automotive industry. Hopefully something good will happen to earth out of all this.

@FlatSix911 and @Thomas Jaszewski ,

Thank you very much for the kind words. It is always wise to learn from folks like prof. Dahn who has spent his whole life mastering the technology.

Tony, the chief editor of Electric Bike Action was present at the Wattwagon 24hr World Record attempt and he interviewed Prof. Dahn about the state of current battery technology and some of the common questions such as solid state batteries, capacitors and where things might go in the EV space.

Prof. Dahn loves E-bikes and uses it all the time when he is in Europe. He really enjoyed riding the Wattwagon and supported the event.

Attached is a PDF of the published interview and here is the Apple Podcast for those who are interested.

PS: Magazine article attached.

View attachment 42305

View attachment 42306

View attachment 42307

View attachment 42308

View attachment 42309

View attachment 42310

Congrats Ravi, that's a cool achievement!

Back