eHorn option

Beacher

My first post on this forum.

Just bought a pair of Cube Town Sport Hybrids. Very well made, beautiful bike but was really surprised for the price of these bikes that they didn't come with an electric horn. The bell the bike shop had put on was a joke.

So ... wondering if any of you could recommend a good eHorn? Found a few on Amazon but thought I would ask here first.

Last edited:
This is interesting.
My Vado came with a horn and I never use it. It's so obnoxious that I'm embarrassed to use it.
And besides, the walkers and runners have ear buds in and couldn't hear a freight train until it hits them.
I call out "Hi" or "on your left".
Guess it all depends on your area and what others use.

Many of the eBikes here where I live have horns built in BUT they are all hub drives, and I think (in Canada) it might be a requirement to have a horn if you have a "throttle" on your bike ? My cube is a mid drive so perhaps that's why it doesn't have a horn (but I think for the price it should have had one)? I changed my search criteria on Amazon from bike horn to eBike horn and quite a few came up.

This is interesting.
My Vado came with a horn and I never use it. It's so obnoxious that I'm embarrassed to use it.
And besides, the walkers and runners have ear buds in and couldn't hear a freight train until it hits them.
Same here with my Vado. Worse, people are not familiar with that horn sound and tend to ignore it. Funny to think the tiny Knog Oi bell takes far better effect than the horn. I think it is the matter of the sound frequency (the pitch) produced by that bell.

I just ordered a horn on Amazon.ca similar to the one RichC mentioned .... If I like it, I'll get another for my wife's bike. USB chargeable. I will report back on this thread when I have had a chance to use it.

This is interesting.
I would probably just hear "something something left" and then move to the left!

He he btw I have three options on my main bike :
1. The typical "ding!" type bell. I use this when I see another cyclist going the wrong way, etc
2. A series trail bell, which jingles all the time. I like this because it lets people know you are coming without it seeming like you are telling them to get out of the way. Technically you aren't even supposed to ride on the sidewalk in Japan, so ringing your bell for people to get out of your way when they have the right of way is... Odd. Yet on small trails along the river, etc., people will hear it, turn around to see what the sound is, and usually edge to the side. It also works on small streets when there may be kids about to come out from a blind spot, etc. You can't use a normal bell until after you see them, but which time your brakes are probably your main option. Staying closer to the middle of the road, keeping to a reasonable speed, and having the Swiss bell is a good combination. Yes, it means you'll sound like Santa, but...
3. The juicy bike horn. This is only used in the road when it's loud and someone is doing something dangerous. (trust me, they don't hear the cure little "ding" sound when the windows are rolled up). I don't want to give pedestrians a heart attack, though, so I still need the little bell.

Electric horns are great in the city. The little dingers don't do squat for the car that's cutting into your bike lane or pedestrian standing in the bike lane at a busy intersection.

But I still like my little single dinger for the trails as I'm Canadian, and still feel an uncontrollable need to be polite when I'm asking someone to stay to the right. 😆

I just got the Juiced Horn/Alarm this weekend...its an actual motorcycle horn that is pretty loud and doubles as a motion alarm.

Figured I needed this after trying out my previous 'alarm/horn' but the horn on my old system does not sound like a beeping horn, it has an alarm type sound and a few others...I have tried them out and most people dont recognize the horn and just seem to be confused about the sound. So not much great use out of the horn but as an alarm this did ok.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your e-bike questions.

I find it distressing that some bikers I've seen have a "Get out of my way" attitude on trails when approaching pedestrians who actually have the right of way. The polite thing to do is to slow down and use the "excuse me & thank you" method when passing. Bells and small horns are fine but Klaxon or semi truck type horns only serve to frighten folks. They often react when surprised and sometimes jump into your path. This also serves to harden the pedestrian anti bike sentiment which results in anti e-bike laws.

On road riding presents a different challenge however. A loud horn is sometimes necessary when riding in traffic. Such devices should be reserved for this purpose and not used on sidewalks, trails or MUP's.

In my case, I ride almost entirely on trails. I use the same Knog Oi bell that Stefan does. When approaching at a slow speed, I find it to be effective at warning pedestrians about 80% of the time. Even those with ear buds seem to hear it's soft high pitched notes.

61BYTrPhEvL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

As a backup, I use this cheap air horn:

615rzG6gXmL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It has a pleasant 2 tone sound which seems to amuse rather than annoy pedestrians. It can easily be heard 100' away and has never failed to alert.
Yeah, it looks like something you'd see on a clown car but I keep it covered with a black vinyl cap when not in use.

I can't comment on horns for on road use but there are many quality products mentioned above by other posters.

I just got the Juiced Horn/Alarm this weekend...its an actual motorcycle horn that is pretty loud and doubles as a motion alarm.
Thanks @ki11a, I've been looking for something like this. A proper street horn. Cruising at 25mph, a couple pings on the little pixie bell has been fine as a polite "rate of closure" courtesy before overtaking slower analog cyclists, but not cutting it as a safety "heads up" for inattentive motorists merging into my lane of traffic. That's where death lives. Just ordered a couple. I'll probably keep both on the bike for separate circumstances, or in case the battery dies from overuse!

Thanks @ki11a, I've been looking for something like this. A proper street horn. Cruising at 25mph, a couple pings on the little pixie bell has been fine as a polite "rate of closure" courtesy before overtaking slower analog cyclists, but not cutting it as a safety "heads up" for inattentive motorists merging into my lane of traffic. That's where death lives. Just ordered a couple. I'll probably keep both on the bike for separate circumstances, or in case the battery dies from overuse!

its super loud, I reviewed some of my accessories and you can hear the horn go off. Just letting you know what it sounds like + that its super loud enough for cars. I had to use it the first day I got it to keep from getting cut off, it worked wonders.

its super loud, I reviewed some of my accessories and you can hear the horn go off. Just letting you know what it sounds like + that its super loud enough for cars. I had to use it the first day I got it to keep from getting cut off, it worked wonders.

Love it. Thanks!

Thinking about the Rad Rover light for the Lectric.

I just bought that horn on amazon....its the perfect awesome horn to have especially with vehicle traffic these days....tap it lightly and chirp it at peds unless you want to really scare them LOL

I just got the Juiced Horn/Alarm this weekend...its an actual motorcycle horn
I've been using that for about eight months. Nice and loud, though I would describe it as a moped horn. Still use the dingy bell for mixed-use trails, unless it's a tourist riding right at me with head craned around looking backwards. I mounted the push button on the side of the brake lever assembly so I can trigger the horn with the side of my index finger while using other three fingers to pull the brake.

I've been using that for about eight months. Nice and loud, though I would describe it as a moped horn. Still use the dingy bell for mixed-use trails, unless it's a tourist riding right at me with head craned around looking backwards. I mounted the push button on the side of the brake lever assembly so I can trigger the horn with the side of my index finger while using other three fingers to pull the brake.
Yeah, I removed my bell and put horn button next to gear shift selector....it works for me

Back