Ebike vs analog

I agree. Ebikes aren't digital, just the display. I prefer conventional or mechanical as a term for unpowered bikes, but anything is better than acoustic, meaning powered by sound waves. šŸ¤”
Analog vs digital is a convenient way to differentiate in casual conversation. Nothing more.

I was once into high end audio, back when my ears still worked. I still have records and a tube based amplifier. That's analog.

I ride my hybrid bike more than my ebike... the ebike is for rides that involve a) hills b) long distance or c) a ride I have not done before and may have hills. :)

A McIntosh perhaps?

I somewhat agree that using the term analog to describe mechanical bicycles is somewhat misplaced.
I highly suspect this term was picked up as a way to define old school technology vs it's relative definition.
Not a Mac, an early Jotul ? - a Chinese made copy I believe. But yeah today people use "analog" to mean "obsolete". Whippersnappers!

Reactions: MMC
Agreed, I will admit that I found it odd when I saw someone posted that term here approx 2 weeks ago when referring to a mech bike.
I said to myself, oh is that what the younger folk are referring to mech bikes now? (ok I'll go with that flow then) as I always knew analog refers to an informational signal and not a moving mechanical function.
I also only used the term because that is what I had seen on the forums here. I would never had used the analog term otherwise..

Agreed, I will admit that I found it odd when I saw someone posted that term here approx 2 weeks ago when referring to a mech bike.
I said to myself, oh is that what the younger folk are referring to mech bikes now? (ok I'll go with that flow then) as I always knew analog refers to an informational signal and not a moving mechanical function.
Unfortunately, a "mech" in bike lingo was already taken. It means a failure. Bad Juju.

Sort of back on topic. After a season with an ebike, I probably could have just bought a conventional bike since I still only ride 5 or 10 miles at a time. I would have saved a bunch of money, but then I would have missed out on this fine forum ...

Did you guys know Yamaha e-bikes were offered to the residents of the United States only? Why is Yamaha not ready for Europe is a mystery for me.

View attachment 72190
https://bit.ly/3kNFoc5

In the US Yamaha introduced a line of e-bikes. Will these be marketed in Europe as well?
ā€œThe market differences between Europe and the US are very big.
I consider the e-bikes distributed in the US not good enough for a mature market like here in Europe.
That is why we have not introduced these in Europe.
Perhaps in the future we will launch our Yamaha branded e-bikes, but I donā€™t want to rush that.ā€

https://bit.ly/3kNFoc5

In the US Yamaha introduced a line of e-bikes. Will these be marketed in Europe as well?
ā€œThe market differences between Europe and the US are very big.
I consider the e-bikes distributed in the US not good enough for a mature market like here in Europe.
That is why we have not introduced these in Europe.
Perhaps in the future we will launch our Yamaha branded e-bikes, but I donā€™t want to rush that.ā€
Cool. The US gets something first. @e-boy Is there a link to that quote?

The top of the line Yamaha e-bikes are very expensive IMO.. I'd love to have their full suspension mtn. bike but not paying 5,600 USD for one. That being said, I'm sure the quality is high..

Isn't the Giant ebike motor a Yamaha?
Yes it is. The batteries are Giant, the displays are Giant. It is a similar situation to Specialized. Giant motors are manufactured by Yamaha but are Giant branded as the ecosystem is made by Giant. Specialized motors are made by Brose in Berlin but the ecosystem is Specialized. Hence, different motor names are used.

Back