Ebike vs analog

Jetsfan901

Picked up my new Yamaha Ebike 2 weeks ago and have about 175 miles on it. Purchased a Specialized Allez back in May and got into riding for exercise and put about 1500 miles since I got it.
Even though I do like the new ebike, I took my analog bike out yesterday for a short 30 mile ride and found I am more comfortable on it because it being so light weight. Also I enjoy the challenge of trying to make it up hills that a few months ago I almost couldn't get up.
Did 4 loops in Prospect Park yesterday and even though there are still a lot of guys that pass me, at least I can now do the 4 laps. I did the same two laps on my ebike last week, and I felt like I was cheating getting up the tough hills.
Don't get me wrong, I really do like the ebike, especially last week when I ran into a tough head wind, but I do feel the need to get on the analog bike just to try and keep up with what I have obtained from the last few months of riding.
I am really looking into going off road on the new Yamaha, but living in NY city doesn't provide me with a lot of choices for that.

Welcome. Which Yamaha bike did you get. Civante? The Allez is a cool bike!

It might be the case the bikes, ebike aside, are just so different AND you are well tuned to the Allez, especially on hills. The sway weight on an e-bike can be huge, if you stand especially. I have been riding my Moustache Dimanche 29.5 without the assist. It took me about 100 miles before I could say I was riding well. The weight distribution and the frame flex-rebound and wheel flex-rebound under pressure without assist was very different than with assist. The most notable differences where being able to spin up slight inclines. Now when I turn on the assist, I really really fly. I think learning to be efficient without he assist has made me super efficient with it on. As a result, I can get better spin at a higher speed with assist. But now I am getting up to the 18mph cut off pretty quickly, but I can hold the 18-19 much more easily.

Welcome. Which Yamaha bike did you get. Civante? The Allez is a cool bike!

It might be the case the bikes, ebike aside, are just so different AND you are well tuned to the Allez, especially on hills. The sway weight on an e-bike can be huge, if you stand especially. I have been riding my Moustache Dimanche 29.5 without the assist. It took me about 100 miles before I could say I was riding well. The weight distribution and the frame flex-rebound and wheel flex-rebound under pressure without assist was very different than with assist. The most notable differences where being able to spin up slight inclines. Now when I turn on the assist, I really really fly. I think learning to be efficient without he assist has made me super efficient with it on. As a result, I can get better spin at a higher speed with assist. But now I am getting up o the 18mph cut off pretty quickly, but I can hold the 18-19 much more easily.
I got the cross core. I should have gotten the Civante, a great looking bike .

Picked up my new Yamaha Ebike 2 weeks ago and have about 175 miles on it. Purchased a Specialized Allez back in May and got into riding for exercise and put about 1500 miles since I got it.
Even though I do like the new ebike, I took my analog bike out yesterday for a short 30 mile ride and found I am more comfortable on it because it being so light weight. Also I enjoy the challenge of trying to make it up hills that a few months ago I almost couldn't get up.
Did 4 loops in Prospect Park yesterday and even though there are still a lot of guys that pass me, at least I can now do the 4 laps. I did the same two laps on my ebike last week, and I felt like I was cheating getting up the tough hills.
Don't get me wrong, I really do like the ebike, especially last week when I ran into a tough head wind, but I do feel the need to get on the analog bike just to try and keep up with what I have obtained from the last few months of riding.
I am really looking into going off road on the new Yamaha, but living in NY city doesn't provide me with a lot of choices for that.
I continue to ride my Scott Metrix 10 on our local MUPs. Being over 10lbs lighter, it does feels much nimbler than my Creo. However, this past summer I got into the habit of reaching for the Creo on longer rides and it sort of became my go-to ride due to the added boost it delivers on steeper accents particularly in the mountains. With the addition of an extender, I can now ride farther without the associated range anxiety. I will still get plenty of saddle time pedaling my Trek 970 over the next 5 months. It's an old school, low tech steel rigid but because of this I feel that it greatly improves my riding skills in wintry conditions and the added balance, stamina and overall fitness it provides better prepares me for longer rides over the summer months. So, in summary, I’d like to think that both genres play a key role in my cycling regimen.

Congratulations on your new Yamaha EBike.
I have both analog and electric and enjoy riding them with friends... I usually match the type with what they are riding.

Did you guys know Yamaha e-bikes were offered to the residents of the United States only? Why is Yamaha not ready for Europe is a mystery for me.

1606069597047.png

I guess having to make a choice between which one to ride isn't such a bad thing..

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200606_100007.jpg
    MVIMG_20200606_100007.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 283
  • PXL_20201109_194009455.jpg
    PXL_20201109_194009455.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 282
I took out my analog Swing King beach cruiser last night and had so much fun! Need to get it out more, and remember my helmet next time. Wife fussed at me because I was doing zero turns in the street without my helmet.

I don't feel like I'm cheating at all on my Yamaha ebike... If I want a work out, I use eco plus mode... Just for fun when I see other ebikers I yell,, "hey, that's cheating!" to them as I smugly ride MY ebike. hehehe

As a retired/inactive electrical engineer, I classify ebikes as analog. Analog signals spin the motors. Torque sensor and throttle are analog. I made my living in digital. Much easier,

I call my regular bike nonpowered. I did ride it in October, but total unpowered miles this year are like 3% of my total. I even had a flat tire on it this summer. Walk of shame, etc.

IMG_0751.JPEG

I agree. Ebikes aren't digital, just the display. I prefer conventional or mechanical as a term for unpowered bikes, but anything is better than acoustic, meaning powered by sound waves. 🤔

Back