EBike Shaming

It turns out my original post was mostly right. Ebikes of any kind are NOT allowed on "separated" bike lanes downtown. "Separated" can mean anything from a concrete wall, to a low concrete barrier (the size of the stones in a parking lot) to a series of poles. Most of the downtown core bike lanes are separated now. The city prefers to waste money separating existing downtown bike lanes over building new lanes for the rest of the city. Here's the 2014 article which gives more detail than the Toronto city website provides:

"Under the new rules [...], e-bikes will still be banned from off-road trails, footpaths, and physically separated bike lanes, like the ones recently added to Sherbourne Street. "

The problem is that Toronto publishes ebike laws in a disorganized, haphazard and confusing manner. I did look up the laws before I posted in case there had been any changes. I probably misinterpreted them since I've owned both a scooter and a bicycle style ebike and had to figure out the laws for each separately. Here's one example from the City of Toronto's website which shows what a dog's breakfast their laws are:

"
Types of e-bikes
Pedelecs
E-bikes, which are similar to bicycles (“Pedelecs”) are considered to be bicycles by the municipality of Toronto, and may be used on all types of cycling infrastructure: painted bike lanes, Cycle Tracks (separated bicycle lanes) and multi-use trails. By it’s definition in the Toronto Municipal Code, a “pedelec” must weigh less than 40kg and requires pedaling for propulsion.

E-Scooters
“E-scooters” may not be used on multi-use trails or Cycle Tracks (separated bike lanes). E-scooters are vehicles which meet the provincial definition of an e-bike, but not the City’s of Toronto’s definition of a Pedelec.

The Province stipulates that e-bike riders must be 16+.

For more information please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation page.

Toronto City Council adopted 2014 Decision on electric bikes

Motorized vehicles (including e-bikes) may not be used on park multi-use paths. If a motorized vehicle is used on a park path, the rider/driver may be fined $305.00 by bylaw enforcement officers."

So first they say pedelec e-bikes can be used on all cycling infrastructure including multi use paths. Then they say all e-bikes are "motorized vehicles" and cannot be used on multi use paths. And we're juggling two definitions of ebike here, one provincial and one municipal.

Is it any wonder that cops pull people over and impound their ebikes based on misinterpretations of the laws? Or that people ride where they're not supposed to because they're confused about where they can ride?

Sounds like it's time for the toronto public to claim back the streets? The dutch did it decades ago by staging kids playing on the street events to stop cars taking up ver the city, maybe it's time for the toronto clown suits to get shown what "public " space means?

All you need is to visit a few skate parks / mtb tracks etc and start working with the kids, set a date and get their social media working - block those spandex races with NON e scooters and normal bikes - make it an enviromental cause - public bike paths are for public use / the enviroment / whatever. Perhaps " public paths, not rich racetracks" ?

There is a movement in Australia at the moment where kids are "striking for the enviroment " - taking a day off school and holding mass protests. Tens of thousands turn up.

Hard to believe that many ignorant comments coming from one biking group. If you feel any shame, you're to blame. That's right it's your feelings so it's your problem. My take is suck it up and have fun because laughter clears the air of negativity.

I found this insulting anti-ebike article in a local rag and responded with a blistering comment accusing the author of deliberately endangering ebike riders with a barrage of undeserved and untrue negative propaganda. She was promulgating the usual stereotypes about ebikes being for drunks who lost their driver's license and people who are too lazy to pedal a bicycle. I stated that irresponsible articles like hers are the reason so many ebike riders have to put up with road rage, being bullied and run off the road, and being injured and killed in the resulting accidents. I've personally been bullied and almost killed by irate ebike hating drivers many times.

My comment was of course deleted. However, they left up all the irate reader comments about ebikes being "monstrosities" and ebike riders being lazy drunks too incompetent to hold a driver's license. There were also the usual choice remarks vindictively demanding that ebike riders be forced to comply with stricter regulations (licensing, insurance, road rules) than any other vehicle on the road including automobiles - including from the author herself.

With this kind of negative propaganda it's only a matter of time before another ebike rider is killed in a road rage incident. Apparently all the fuss about electric vehicles helping the environment doesn't extend to ebikes - they prefer those idiotic wobbly e-scooters instead. Great choice for safety - 32 kph on the sidewalks and no helmets.

I don't feel any shame for riding my ebike, I smile the whole time but dealing with roadies spitting on my front wheel? I'm certainly not to blame for that and the attitudes that go with it

I don't feel any shame for riding my ebike, I smile the whole time but dealing with roadies spitting on my front wheel? I'm certainly not to blame for that and the attitudes that go with it
What a disgusting pig to do that to you or anyone else.

I found this insulting anti-ebike article in a local rag and responded with a blistering comment accusing the author of deliberately endangering ebike riders with a barrage of undeserved and untrue negative propaganda. She was promulgating the usual stereotypes about ebikes being for drunks who lost their driver's license and people who are too lazy to pedal a bicycle. I stated that irresponsible articles like hers are the reason so many ebike riders have to put up with road rage, being bullied and run off the road, and being injured and killed in the resulting accidents. I've personally been bullied and almost killed by irate ebike hating drivers many times.
My comment was of course deleted. However, they left up all the irate reader comments about ebikes being "monstrosities" and ebike riders being lazy drunks too incompetent to hold a driver's license. There were also the usual choice remarks vindictively demanding that ebike riders be forced to comply with stricter regulations (licensing, insurance, road rules) than any other vehicle on the road including automobiles - including from the author herself.

With this kind of negative propaganda it's only a matter of time before another ebike rider is killed in a road rage incident. Apparently all the fuss about electric vehicles helping the environment doesn't extend to ebikes - they prefer those idiotic wobbly e-scooters instead. Great choice for safety - 32 kph on the sidewalks and no helmets.

Sorry to hear your post was deleted... Censorship should not be tolerated. Can you repost your rebuttal?

Censorship should not be tolerated.
There is no free speech in forums. Jeebus, why dig up old wounds and troubling comments. When we post here we do as as guests of the forum owner, subject to the review of appointed moderators. The moderation here has been fantastic, and typically the posters here are more Boy Scout and Girl Scout than any similar forum. Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind.... etc.

Please re-read my post... we are not talking about the EBR Forums. ;)

We are talking about censorship in the comments for the original anti-eBike article mentioned here:

My comment was of course deleted. However, they left up all the irate reader comments about ebikes being "monstrosities" and ebike riders being lazy drunks too incompetent to hold a driver's license. There were also the usual choice remarks vindictively demanding that ebike riders be forced to comply with stricter regulations (licensing, insurance, road rules) than any other vehicle on the road including automobiles - including from the author herself. With this kind of negative propaganda it's only a matter of time before another ebike rider is killed in a road rage incident. Apparently all the fuss about electric vehicles helping the environment doesn't extend to ebikes - they prefer those idiotic wobbly e-scooters instead. Great choice for safety - 32 kph on the sidewalks and no helmets.

A Scout is

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Something similar happened to me the first meeting with a new group. Most of members were simply curious but others not so much. And yes the comments hurt even though I tried not to show it.
You hang in there ymarty!
It’s just new technology and there’s always push back. Remember cell phones vs land lines? And snow boarding vs skiing?
We’re in the 21st century and it’s an electric machine world.
These are the same kind of people that booed Bob Dylan when he appeared onstage at Newport with an electric guitar.

I'm surprised to hear such widespread eBike bigotry. The general decorum of America has a noticeable brutal tone nowadays and it's certainly not the America of my childhood. Fight back, smile, laugh, say your welcome and ride with the sense of freedom your bike provided when you were a kid . No, it won't change the attitude of anybody else but it helps keep your perspective straight.

It's all making America great again Afren. The upside is that bullet proof vests are becoming fashionable and less expensive (except for the ones that come from China)

As a European I cannot fathom how ownership of lethal weapons capable of killing scores of innocent people is not frowned at but ebike ownership is disapproved of and seen as not the proper thing to own or use.
That's just ridiculous. Don't devolve the thread anymore than it already has. This silly weeping over any criticism of one's choice of bikes is just juvenile in my book. Move on. It's a big world, go for a long ride.

I'm surprised to hear such widespread eBike bigotry. The general decorum of America has a noticeable brutal tone nowadays and it's certainly not the America of my childhood. Fight back, smile, laugh, say your welcome and ride with the sense of freedom your bike provided when you were a kid . No, it won't change the attitude of anybody else but it helps keep your perspective straight.

Get it here also in UK. I smile back, recalling my Officer training. Don't escalate the situation be composed putting your case across. Disarm with manners.

Back