Ebike rack

Like you I was totally concerned about whether the 1Up would cause fender damage and found it difficult to get any info on that subject. All I can say is that in my case it's a non-issue and the ease of use sealed the deal for me. I also liked the fact that it's modular so if your only hauling one bike it's not as obtrusive to just leave it on the car. Easy to add a second platform if required. I personally find a lot of bike racks look like laundry hangers stuck on the back when empty........

IMG_4993.jpg

Like you I was totally concerned about whether the 1Up would cause fender damage and found it difficult to get any info on that subject. All I can say is that in my case it's a non-issue and the ease of use sealed the deal for me. I also liked the fact that it's modular so if your only hauling one bike it's not as obtrusive to just leave it on the car. Easy to add a second platform if required. I personally find a lot of bike racks look like laundry hangers stuck on the back when empty........
Hi Surrey Pete,
Thank you so very much for your great info and fantastic car picture! That 1UP looks great on your Mazda 3. BTW, I notice 2 exhaust pipes…a special edition Mazda 3?
I was at a local bike shop this afternoon and one of the employees had a Thule T2 Pro XTR on his Jetta. Like you said, I was not impressed with how huge and bulky it looked (empty, no bikes on it). Actually covered the license plate too, so just a matter of time before the RCMP pull him over!
Mainly, way too bulky…like ‘laundry hangers’ lol. Weight is about 60 pounds too. One of the bike mechanics also said the attachment wheel bracket must be positioned as high as possible on the front tire (just a strap on the rear tire) to avoid a road bump from causing that bracket/arm piece from falling down. So, the bike fender would likely be under that bracket part. That mechanic thought the fender would just pop back into shape once that bracket was released. I would think that would depend on the fender material, aluminum or plastic.

Bottom line, your picture sealed the deal for me. I will be ordering from 1UP and I just hope my Sumas border crossings go without any glitches. I have had my vacs, booster (though not happy about that) due to my serious respiratory issues. I believe it is just the PST and HST taxes that are charged at the border. Unless I can convince a good buddy who regularly stays over for 48 plus hours to bring that across for me. Then, no taxes I believe.

BTW, I am in Chilliwack and used to work at the Surrey School District, covering schools in the Cloverdale area.

Thanks again!
PS. Fantastic trails along the Vedder River and surrounding areas here. You likely already know about them.

Here is a follow up and thoughts/suggestions on this Ebike loading/carrying rack I got, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFGY7ZT/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?
I have been testing this rack out and very pleased with it, very stout design and well built, carries the Wart Hog MD 750 (90#'s+) with no problems.

I did find a couple minor issues,
1. The loading ramp angle is quite steep, this rack sits approximately 24" AGL = (above ground level) when mounted on my Toyota PU and even taller when on the F-370 1 ton PU.
I have to lean the bike over at a slight angle to guide it up the ramp, ramp OAL = over all length is 39". The handle bars are 48"+ AGL and add the 24"+ height of the ramp, makes for a long reach for anyone less than 6' tall.

When the bike is leaned over to go up the ramp, the lip of the ramp will also slip out of the ramps tongue & groove slot. I cured this problem via using this longer ramp for greatly decreasing the loading angle which solved the above problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007LHW2R4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A9NJNMT9ZTSIP&psc=1,
now it works very well, plus has pockets/holes in the ramp's face for the tire to bite into when loading.

2. When figuring out just where to have the recessed slots/pockets for the wheels to sit in, it is VERY HARD to move the bike forward or backwards with approximately a 20" long pocket length, (this allows the tire/rim to drop below the bolt holes of the carrier arms, so a 1/2" dia bolt can been inserted thru the carrier arms to lock the wheels in place.) Walk mode will not move the bike out of these deep slots.

So I found that removing just one bolt, which allows a approximately a pocket slot length of 11/12" works to hold the 31" wheels in place and have the bike centered over the ramps center bar area.
I use 2 of these type of ratchet straps: (No hooks).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ML4FK2/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A1A4P9O2EUNURY&th=1 double wrapped around the ramp/tires which holds the wheel in place.

I use 2 of these soft straps, around the Jct of the seat and cross bar tubes of the bike. https://www.amazon.com/Xstrap-Soft-Tie-Down-Straps-18inch/dp/B07GVHKV1H/ref=sr_1_6?
Then I use 2-3' long ratchet straps to attach to the soft straps for securing to the center of the bike to the ramps carrier center bar.

When I finish loading the bike, I use the fold up ramp and attach it to the same spot as the OEM ramp was attached to. There is a piece of expanded metal HEAVY GAGE 4-3/4" wide by 30+" long that just fit between the ramp rails, before I first load the bike this HD Expanded metal mesh is slid back to cover the tire slot hole of the loading ramp for easy loading, and this mesh is also slide forward to cover the tire hole when unloading.

HTH's
Don

Pete, is you Mazda's hitch class 1 or 2?
I have a Forester with a class 1 hitch and 2 Gazelles with Fenders and trying to decide which rack is best for us. Thank You

Pete, is you Mazda's hitch class 1 or 2?
I have a Forester with a class 1 hitch and 2 Gazelles with Fenders and trying to decide which rack is best for us. Thank You
The Mazda 3 will only take the 1.25 inch class1 hitch. My Gazelle is just under 50 lbs with the battery removed and I only carry one bike. 1up's site states that each bike ( up to 3 ) can be up to 50 lbs so you would be ok with your hitch.

The Mazda 3 will only take the 1.25 inch class1 hitch. My Gazelle is just under 50 lbs with the battery removed and I only carry one bike. 1up's site states that each bike ( up to 3 ) can be up to 50 lbs so you would be ok with your hitch.
Not entirely true - we used this one on my wife's Mazda3.

And ironically, am considering upgrading to a 1up rack... with a Gazelle and a Luna X2.

I don’t think that will increase the weight capacity of you Mazda. Just the ability to use a 2 inch hitch.

I don’t think that will increase the weight capacity of you Mazda. Just the ability to use a 2 inch hitch.
True, or close enough…it does have a higher tongue weight capacity vs the other options though, 300# vs 200#, and as adding a truck to the stable is in my plans, I prefer the 2” hitch..

The most important consideration is to buy a carrier. Many good options, but your steed just needs to get to the trail! Post haste! (Kuat is best!)
I've been a Kuat fan for a long time... however, I also use additional straps around the tire hook and rear tire to ensure nothing comes loose. On 6//20/22, last weekend, i discovered that my Riese Muller Super Delight is a wee bit too long for my high end Kuatt rack. @kuatt if your out there you need to increase your wheelbase accommodations.

I've been a Kuat fan for a long time... however, I also use additional straps around the tire hook and rear tire to ensure nothing comes loose. On 6//20/22, last weekend, i discovered that my Riese Muller Super Delight is a wee bit too long for my high end Kuatt rack. @kuatt if your out there you need to increase your wheelbase accommodations.
Our 1Up Superduty is able to accommodate the longish wheelbase of these bad boys without much problem. It takes only seconds to roll and adjust the bikes into position to ensure that there is no rubbing on contact points such as the seats, pedals or handlebars before the ratcheting arms are deployed. Sometimes the dropper seats on one of the bikes requires lowering but no additional straps or bungees are required to hold the bikes in place. Very solid rack.

IMG_20220622_1224078.jpg
I use the ¼ turn wheel locks and though they are not a theft proof design they do offer some peace of mind if you happen to make a brief pit stop/coffee break. They can be keyed alike to the hitch receiver as well as the add on locks at the time of order.

2-1-4-Turn-Wheel-Lock-Short.jpg

I went ahead and ordered a SuperDuty double 2”. Downside is the weight and not sure I can ever get a 2” hitch for my turbo Miata, which would be for single bike only, but also not positive I want to put a hitch on that anyways. Worst case is I pick up a single separate later.

I did consider the ‘quickr’ (original inventor of the 1up, now parted ways) but 6 month wait and yet another price jump - am sure the 1up will do just fine.
Did pick up several of the add-ons, including the lock pins above, will sort what works best for our pair of bikes.

I have the 1Up with the fender guard and use it with my Gazelle which has fenders. Never had an issue . Also, if you're close to the border have it shipped to the US and pick it up. Shipping is much cheaper and you'd avoid the horrendous brokerage fee that the courier charges.
I have a gazelle also. How wide is the distance between the bars that keep the tire retainers in place in the 1up?
Do the rack side connectors on the gazelle get on the way?
How about the stand? Is on in the way ?
I would appreciate if you had pictures of your gazelle on the 1 up rack. Thank You.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered a SuperDuty double 2”. Downside is the weight and not sure I can ever get a 2” hitch for my turbo Miata, which would be for single bike only, but also not positive I want to put a hitch on that anyways. Worst case is I pick up a single separate later.

I did consider the ‘quickr’ (original inventor of the 1up, now parted ways) but 6 month wait and yet another price jump - am sure the 1up will do just fine.
Did pick up several of the add-ons, including the lock pins above, will sort what works best for our pair of bikes.
I have a gazelle also. How wide is the distance between the bars that keep the tire retainers in place in the 1up?
I would appreciate if you had pictures of your gazelle on the 1 up rack. Thank You.
HI,
Curious if the fender guards are basically pipe insulation or like a pool noodle that can be purchased far cheaper.
Thanks!

1Up should do a better job on explaining usage with fenders. There seems to be a lot of fender anxiety out there. All I can say is I've used this rack for 18 months with no issues whatsoever. Here are the requested photos. The second one shows the contact with the fender. All the measurements can be found on the site. And yes, you could use a pool noodle.........

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

1Up should do a better job on explaining usage with fenders. There seems to be a lot of fender anxiety out there. All I can say is I've used this rack for 18 months with no issues whatsoever. Here are the requested photos. The second one shows the contact with the fender. All the measurements can be found on the site. And yes, you could use a pool noodle.........

View attachment 127236

View attachment 127238
Thanks…most appreciated!! Great looking bike btw. Looks like you have a nice handle set up!
I notice the bar on the fender in your second picture. No issues after 18 months says it all, fantastic!
Did your fender dent at all? And did you put light pressure on that fender? Since the front tire is firmly secured, perhaps less pressure is needed on the back tire fender.
what type of bike do you have? Is that the 1UP quik single? I am using that with a 1.25 inch hitch.

You are right…1 UP needs to do a much better job explaining that their racks will work with bikes with fenders.
They are losing many sales. One example, a high end local bike shop guy told me that the 1UP will not work with bikes with fenders. And, that is an honest guy, not someone simply trying to sell his own racks.

Thanks again!!!

Back