Ebike Has 300 Mile Range

Original thread

They can advertise any range estimate that they want but realistically it seems to be quite optimistic, at least according to my experience with a relatively heavy high power eBike. Wh/mile use in the end will tell the tale but bikes that get 10wh/mi are usually the lightest weight ones that are operated with the most human input. My average using up to 1000w in spurts is upper 20's wh/mi consistently and I pedal with force at all times.

I have a 1000 watt bike, 75 lbs. that can easily go 40 miles over major hills and flatlands. I don't work real hard at it, just moderate exercise with me peddling, but not not hard enough to work up a lather. I would enjoy having more than 7 gears, but that's OK, I'm not a road racer. I adverage 15 mph for 3 hrs. and call it a day. Any more time on the seat is just not comfy for me. By the way, I'll be 74 next month. With a plastic/metal shoulder, and 2 fake knees this ebike has been a real blessing. That bike may go as far as the claim states, but with a light rider on smooth flat roads.

There is kind of an "appropriate technology" question here for me.

If you are riding 300 miles, you probably want to carry stuff. With that bike there isn't a good way to carry very much, since there are no eyelets for racks and the geometry and suspension would make it a poor design for front and rear racks anyway.

I have to wonder what the chain and IGH lifespan will be given the power output and torque figures quoted, which depending on the cogs used might void the warranty on the Rohloff hub.

How long does it take to charge the battery?

This seems to be in the category of "brute force" by producing an enormously ranged bicycle by just putting a huge battery on it. So in theory you could have a 3000 mile range e-bike by having a huge battery bank in a trailer.

My own personal suspicion is that you could produce quite impressive range improvements in existing e-bikes through software changes in the controller. At lower cost and for less weight.

A long range touring eBike on knobby tires? That says a lot to me. If you go assisted at 10mph and coast a lot, with a 90 pound kid, of course the range is long. If manufacturers just told us a couple of the test parameters at the start of eBiking, we might be able to believe them just a little. But they just throw nice round numbers (an even 300 miles? Not 263?) at us that are wildly out of the parameters of normal riding now. But when they publish stupid big numbers, the media and riders pass along the information and do all the marketing the company needs. Sondors learned that at day 1. Sell something with a stupid cheap price and the piraña filled waters boil in anticipation and you sell thousands and thousands of eBikes with no marketing expense.

In the near future, the bike batteries will all go 300 miles on a single charge. Battery technology is moving fast now thank's to more e powered vehicles. Can't come soon enough.

I'd need a 300 mile butt to go with a 300 mile bike. Unfortunately for me, "buttitis" sets in after just 80 miles or so.

Realistically, how many riders need a range like that. Most can't ride 300 miles in a day. There are usually charging opportunities wherever you spend the night unless you're long hauling through stretches of sparsely populated areas.

IMO, this is like putting a 100 gal gas tank on a motor scooter. Might be useful for some but not for most.

Good point. 80 miles? Wow, I have suspension in front, under the saddle, and a big gel seat and my ass is screaming at 40 miles. lol. Then again I'm an old guy who only bikes during good summer weather. That long range bike may work good in a place like Australia.

I'd need a 300 mile butt to go with a 300 mile bike. Unfortunately for me, "buttitis" sets in after just 80 miles or so.

Realistically, how many riders need a range like that. Most can't ride 300 miles in a day. There are usually charging opportunities wherever you spend the night unless you're long hauling through stretches of sparsely populated areas.

IMO, this is like putting a 100 gal gas tank on a motor scooter. Might be useful for some but not for most.
What I'd say as a person from the Empty Lands on the west coast is that I can come up with lots of trips where there might be 150+ miles between decent places to charge. It might be reasonable to spread those 150+ miles out over two or even three days depending on the terrain. Also, I suspect the range is very optimistic and generously interpreted and in realistic (e.g. mountainous backcountry on atrocious roads) you'd be very lucky to get even 150 miles.

Still is very lame that there are no eyelets to mount racks to that bike. Kind of kills the obvious (to me) application for that bike before it even shows up.

Still an open question about how long it would take to charge that big a battery.

Agree, but we'll always have people with lots of disposable income who just have to have the "ests"— costliest, rarest, biggest, fastest, lightest, longest-range, etc.

A friend of mine measures everything first and foremost in how much it cost, and the pricier the better — even when the (added value) / (added cost) ratio makes no sense. He'd love this bike.

Back