Ebike for 70 yr old man with sensitive prostate

BillA

As the title says, I am a 70 year old man with a very sensitive prostate.
I gave away my last bike because the jarring gave me some pain and discomfort.

I do not want to spend a lot of money.
A friend said to buy a mountain bike with a full suspension to ease the bumps.
I am only going to ride the bike on streets and paved trails, not mountain/dirt.
Any suggestions on a seat would also be helpful.

Can anyone recommend an ebike with the above parameters?

Well, young fella, as @rich c mentioned, it would help to know your budget, and your riding conditions; distance, hills, etc.

thanks for the replies.
I am talking under $1500.
As far as terrain, just the street and an occasional paved county trail.
Distance: probably about 10-15 mile rides.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent full suspension bike under $1500. IMO, you are better off getting a bike with front suspension and adding a suspension seat post as suggested above. That, and a good split type seat should solve your comfort issues.

I'm 74 with similar health problems. Through much experimentation, I found the Kinekt or Thudbuster seat posts (not cheap) and a Spiderflex seat (first pic posted by Tempo above) solved my issues. I also bought a bike with a step thru frame to make mounting and dismounting easier.

Unfortunately, there is no single configuration that magically works for everyone. Every rider is different and what works for one, may not for all. Trial and error is the only sure way to find what works best for you. Many LBS locations can help "fit" you with a bike. Many also let you try different saddles.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

My take is @Timpo’s first image has what you and your sensitive ‘tate need——no or a very short “horn” (The narrow front of a seat) and good suspension, although somewhat bouncy in this case. Fat tires will go a long way in smoothing your ride especially at lower air pressures. The trade-off might be reduced performance but we’ll worth it.

Last edited:
58 miles today. Bought a Bontrager suspension seatpost last Saturday.

I increased tire pressure and had a hard bumpy ride 40 miles last Friday.
Friday Saturday and Today 130 miles.

Bike riding over time reduces BPH.

Use a cutout saddle Less pressure on the perineum.

As the title says, I am a 70 year old man with a very sensitive prostate.
I gave away my last bike because the jarring gave me some pain and discomfort.

I do not want to spend a lot of money.
A friend said to buy a mountain bike with a full suspension to ease the bumps.
I am only going to ride the bike on streets and paved trails, not mountain/dirt.
Any suggestions on a seat would also be helpful.

Can anyone recommend an ebike with the above parameters?
Check FB Market Place, Craigslist, at least in mine there are hobbyist builders that put them together and ride em for 3 days then flip them so they can get some scratch and build another, ( So Cal is fertile ground for ebikes)

thanks for the replies.
I am talking under $1500.
As far as terrain, just the street and an occasional paved county trail.
Distance: probably about 10-15 mile rides.
the only Full Suspension bikes at this price that i can think of are the Ariel Rider X-Class for $1499 which imho is the Best value bike of 2020!
that bike comes with a 750watt nominal 1500watt peak motor,with steel reinforced gears,hydraulic brakes and a 48v16ah battery! outstanding!
1600743803090.png
1600744968288.png

the other is the Eunorau UHVO,$1200 it also comes with hydraulic brakes but only a 350watt motor and a 36v 10ah battery
this bike is not very impressive but it is a bike and will be more adjustable when it comes to comfort over the Taco style X-Class
1600744365815.png

Back