Ebike conversion powered by Ryobi

sed6

I am in the process of building a custom 10 amp hour battery for my wife's ebike conversion. Until then I thought I'd slap a couple of 18 volt Ryobi batteries in series take her for a spin.

20200819_021848.jpg

20200819_021935.jpg

20200819_021926.jpg

20200819_160849.jpg

The parts consist of a Ryobi battery wall hanger and a Ryobi battery clip, both on eBay from different sellers. I join them together with some aluminum bar and then added a couple of seatpost water bottle clamps to attach it all.

Hope you like!

Attachments

• 20200819_021848.jpg
    20200819_021848.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 809
I am in the process of building a custom 10 amp hour battery for my wife's ebike conversion. Until then I thought I'd slap a couple of 18 volt Ryobi batteries in series take her for a spin.

View attachment 62965
View attachment 62966
View attachment 62970
View attachment 62967

The parts consist of a Ryobi battery wall hanger and a Ryobi battery clip, both on eBay from different sellers. I join them together with some aluminum bar and then added a couple of seatpost water bottle clamps to attach it all.

Hope you like!

Very cool design... can you tell us more about the conversion project?

Nice bracket!

I've run the ebikeling motor (and others) on the 1.5AH and 5Ah Ryobi 40V packs. The bikes ran stronger on the smaller AH pack because it puts out a higher peak current, albeit for a short range, like 8-10 miles. The 5AH pack did not increase range much at all because it would reset if asked to pull high current after it was half discharged.

It's a good way to test your system, and also good for a chuckle or two, having a dirt cheap kit. Ebikeling kit was only $169 in 2018 but he has put in more expensive parts. Same motor though,.

Did you buy the 810LED or the LCD display version of the ebikeling kit? If you bought the latter, I'd like to hear if he ever fixed his speedometer bug with the LCD kits. They never showed mph when coasting because he didn't use a speed sensor.

Last year I tossed out a dead Ryobi charger and bought a new one for my weedwhacker. I forgot all about re-using the battery bracket.

P1560254.jpg

Nice bracket!

I've run the ebikeling motor (and others) on the 1.5AH and 5Ah Ryobi 40V packs. The bikes ran stronger on the smaller AH pack because it puts out a higher peak current, albeit for a short range, like 8-10 miles. The 5AH pack did not increase range much at all because it would reset if asked to pull high current after it was half discharged.

It's a good way to test your system, and also good for a chuckle or two, having a dirt cheap kit. Ebikeling kit was only $169 in 2018 but he has put in more expensive parts. Same motor though,.

Did you buy the 810LED or the LCD display version of the ebikeling kit? If you bought the latter, I'd like to hear if he ever fixed his speedometer bug with the LCD kits. They never showed mph when coasting because he didn't use a speed sensor.

Last year I tossed out a dead Ryobi charger and bought a new one for my weedwhacker. I forgot all about re-using the battery bracket.

View attachment 63103
Thanks! I got the LCD and no it doesn't show speed while coasting. No biggie though, this is just to hold the wife over until her Lectric XP arrives.

You never know. I like riding my ebikeling 26" bike a lot better than my 20" fat tire. when the pavement is smooth, The skinny tires just roll on and on.

I am a strange fellow, I got rid of the"great pumpkin"( Fat tire "Maxfoot " cruiser) and went begging for it back when I tried the 20" inch BFT bikes,I grew up on " Western Flyers" and the "Great Pumpkin" fits me to a tee" "maxfoot" has a very good bike for the price point,I am in the process of selling my brandnew Lectric( strong-too fast bike) XP( yep I couldn't resist turned it up) Changed the freewheel on the great pumpkin" and have had it up to 36 mph( again too fast-never ran out of pedal) one day a "Whitetail" deer will step out in front of me and you may then read my obituary.The "Bafang" geared motor on the "Great Pumpkin" has a lot more torque than I expected a plus on those step hills around here.

View attachment 62965
View attachment 62966
View attachment 62970
View attachment 62967

Hope you like!
I love your project! Any idea about range using the two Ryobi batteries? I’m trying to build an eBike that will get me 2.5 miles to work (with some hills). TIA!

There are 40v tool batteries and power adapters that would work, but they're only 2-5 AH.
I have bought some 6ah claimed 18-volt Ryobi batteries, the thing is after going through all that its still probably second best, OTH you can use the batteries for other things.One custom build used drill batteries to power a Motor cycle replica( with a little imagination- it was shall we say, very cool, of course it didn't thump and shake)

I love your project! Any idea about range using the two Ryobi batteries? I’m trying to build an eBike that will get me 2.5 miles to work (with some hills). TIA!
I made a battery for my 52V Pedego bike using 60V DeWalt power tool batteries. I have many DeWalt tools and a supply of their batteries so the cost for me was minimal.

I used this adapter:

61aThHjfHgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
714wWY5WK+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And made a bracket to mount it on the down tube below the bottle cage:

IMG_1198a.jpg
IMG_1195a.jpg

It's a 4 AH battery at 60V and it gives me a 12 mile range on a smooth level surface.

I made a battery for my 52V Pedego bike using 60V DeWalt power tool batteries. I have many DeWalt tools and a supply of their batteries so the cost for me was minimal.

I used this adapter:

View attachment 117743 View attachment 117744

And made a bracket to mount it on the down tube below the bottle cage:

View attachment 117762 View attachment 117761

It's a 4 AH battery at 60V and it gives me a 12 mile range on a smooth level surface.
That's a nice installation and a better range than I would have guessed.

Back