Ebike charging

I did consider a charger and two croc clips instead of a plug.
So many places you could pinch a cheeky charge

Is anyone else charging their eBike while Riding
On flat or down grades I emediatly turn my bike off and peddle enough so I don't freewheel. On some down hills I have to use braking so I don't travel faster than I can keep up with peddling (all electric moters being turned without electricity become generators. When my ebike is on it automaticaly uses PAS, useing electricity Originally I didn't think it would make much of a charge, but in trials, it did. Now when i'm riding I have to be careful and make sure I turn my bike bike on at or before 52.4 volts so I don't overcharge my 48 volt battery. After watching a video on moding an ebike with a frankinrunner/grin controller (I think those were the names?) I learned I could make a charge and send it through the controller to the battery. I wish I had known about this earlier, I pretty much keep my battery fully charged, I feel like I had this revelation.

Is anyone else charging their eBike while Riding
On flat or down grades I emediatly turn my bike off and peddle enough so I don't freewheel. On some down hills I have to use braking so I don't travel faster than I can keep up with peddling (all electric moters being turned without electricity become generators. When my ebike is on it automaticaly uses PAS, useing electricity Originally I didn't think it would make much of a charge, but in trials, it did. Now when i'm riding I have to be careful and make sure I turn my bike bike on at or before 52.4 volts so I don't overcharge my 48 volt battery. After watching a video on moding an ebike with a frankinrunner/grin controller (I think those were the names?) I learned I could make a charge and send it through the controller to the battery. I wish I had known about this earlier, I pretty much keep my battery fully charged, I feel like I had this revelation. q

Abdaddy, I believe you wrote you have Radrunner2 (a very cool bike, congrats) but it's advertised to have a geared motor. Geared motors (with a few exceptions) don't do regen. The earlier Radcity models with direct drive motors had regen, and it's nice for braking, but I heard it doesn't let you coast very well unless you turn it off. So unless I'm wrong, you can just ride on w/o worry about recharging your battery over voltage.
Sure, Grin sells a geared motor with no clutch, and you need their special controller so you can ride it and coast down hills. It actually has to power the motor so it doesn't slow you down going down the hill. Overly complicated in my opinion. It's worth it for a automobile where getting 5% back makes a difference. For a bike with a 50 mile range, a few miles of extra range isn't worth it unless it's a working cargo bike.

Abdaddy, I believe you wrote you have Radrunner2 (a very cool bike, congrats) but it's advertised to have a geared motor. Geared motors (with a few exceptions) don't do regen. The earlier Radcity models with direct drive motors had regen, and it's nice for braking, but I heard it doesn't let you coast very well unless you turn it off. So unless I'm wrong, you can just ride on w/o worry about recharging your battery over voltage.
Sure, Grin sells a geared motor with no clutch, and you need their special controller so you can ride it and coast down hills. It actually has to power the motor so it doesn't slow you down going down the hill. Overly complicated in my opinion. It's worth it for a automobile where getting 5% back makes a difference. For a bike with a 50 mile range, a few miles of extra range isn't worth it unless it's a working cargo bike.
I don't see how a direct drive motor can create electricity but my motor cannot? Isn't just coils of wire passing through magnetic fields. I appreciate the feedback, thank you.

I was wrong, these 3 phase
I don't see how a direct drive motor can create electricity but my motor cannot? Isn't just coils of wire passing through magnetic fields. I appreciate the feedback, thank you.
I WAS WRONG. I haven't delt with 3 phase bldc motors before. and so I learn.

I thought that re-gen would be cool for three days once, years ago. The overhead is not worth it. It is like an electric drill with re-gen that is 30% heavier.
Copenhagen wheels had it. The only way you could use those bikes was by logging into a central geo tracking server which would hijack your phone and take over its Bluetooth. You could never ride without being spied on. Creepy. They were wimpy and the battery weight rotated with the wheel. I have since learned that anything 'smart' is dumb. So what if someone nabbed your phone at lunch?

1696795147521.jpeg

I thought that re-gen would be cool for three days once, years ago. The overhead is not worth it. It is like an electric drill with re-gen that is 30% heavier.
Copenhagen wheels had it. The only way you could use those bikes was by logging into a central geo tracking server which would hijack your phone and take over its Bluetooth. You could never ride without being spied on. Creepy. They were wimpy and the battery weight rotated with the wheel. I have since learned that anything 'smart' is dumb. So what if someone nabbed your phone at lunch?

View attachment 164249
Ouch. That hert. Yes I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.

Spelling hurt makes it even better
Hertz.
We are all somewhere on the learning curve. You wouldn't believe the dumb stuff I did regarding electric bikes. Here are just three examples: I installed a 58 tooth chainring with the intent of going 50; I covered a bike in carbon fiber look stickers; I repaired a pallet of dud batteries. By all rights, with that last one I should be dead. I just didn't know better.

Even on electric cars regen is pretty useless, there are so many restrictions on its use.
Its great for braking though, but Im thinking if the battery cant take the charge because of various reasons.

Where does the heat go?

Do they just short the wires?

People would charge their bike were they live on a hill in San Francisco and re-gen down the hill in the morning only to fry the controller. I have yet to see one on fire going down the hill.

I have a Grin TSM-A5 direct-drive motor, and I really like the regen braking. My rides have a lot short relatively steep hills, and it does very well with that topography. It would be cool to have real-time variable control on the regen, then you could recharge while pedaling!

Last edited:
It would be cool to have real-time variable control on the regen, then you could recharge while pedaling!
The energy you gain back would be more than made up for by the effort you would expend. Thermodynamics: Its The Law. :D

Unless you dig into it really deep, the general consensus is that regen is a mixed bag as far as results are concerned. It gets you back energy, but only a very little. Unless you turn it way up, which means you either have to be on throttle or your bike brakes heavily. Which also means the torque stress on your frame is increased in the opposite direction as when the bike is powered, so you'd better have a second torque arm set up in that opposite direction. But it reduces wear and tear on your brake pads. But brake pads are pretty cheap. But you can never become a runaway train on a long steep downhill, which if you have those means you can finally get some measurable energy back into the battery. But you can also never just coast and zoom along unless you are under power.

Regen can be a good thing but it has consequences and is best thought thru as part of your system, your terrain and your preferred riding experience. You can always plug a battery in for a recharge and it costs almost nothing to do that.

Grin has figured out regen. My Grin motor has an integrated torque arm that can handle the two-way torque. The only problem, in my mind, is the cost. Otherwise, a rear all-axle Grin hub motor would be in my shopping cart.

Yeah I have never been able to pull the trigger on one of those All Axles although I have been eyeballing them since they came out. Its a good motor but as an entire system its an expensive and labor-intensive step to take. The CA gives you the freedom to do anything but it also means you have to invest the time to make it do everything, and as a display its better suited to roadside review than it is real time during the ride.

Regen charging is just a code word for electric regen braking. A friend has a electric kick scooter and it has regen braking that also puts energy back in to the battery. He's never seen any advantage in the battery being charged but the regen braking is nice! I want to ride that new BMW CE 04 so bad! Seventy five mile range, regen braking, kinda ugly. That, for me, is the perfect commuter.

Back