Ebike battery powered tire pump

Tpesl

I tried to look for a small tire pump that could be plugged into my ebike battery, so far no luck,.
Just wondering if anyone ever came across such a beast.

The USB port on most bikes won’t even charge a cell phone. No way it could run a compressor. Watch, someone will prove me wrong. The Bosch Intuvia output is 5v, .5A.

Last edited:
I know it is not the same as the USB compressor. I saw this stomp pump for $99 that looked interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gate5/stompump-tire-inflator-for-your-bicycle-or-any-tir

or

https://stompump.com/

I like the added feature of leavining my hands free to help seat my floppy 26X4 120 tpi tires while inflating with either leg. Might be actually faster than a USB compressor (if a USB compressor exists). I think it is limited to only 60 PSI; which, isn't a problem from me since my ebikes only need 20-23 psi or 50-55 psi.

stomp pump.jpg

stomp pump II.jpg

I guess it won’t have to be USB but someway to attach it to the battery.
I would think it would power some “pocket”compressor.

I have one of these:

Portland Design Works Shiny Object CO2 Inflator with 16G Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YEFY8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QbqnBb8RSV7P1

Many others on the market, like:

Pro Bike Tool CO2 Inflator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KU1DIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jdqnBb2CER9WS

They are tiny. Most times I just carry a Topeak high volume mtb pump, but will carry the inflator on trips along with a pump.

Then there are pumps that also include a CO2 inflator:

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/co2-pumps/407-hybridrocket-hp

I'm not sure how the Luna Cycle compressor will connect to an ebike power to be powered by USB? Looks like you have splice into the wiring harness?

I'm not sure how the Luna Cycle compressor will connect to an ebike power to be powered by USB? Looks like you have splice into the wiring harness?

Yeah I couldn't see how that would be used on non-Luna ebikes. For instance, the Easy Motion batteries use a proprietary plug configuration that is not common and one I've never seen before.

That was my thought that if you could tap into the higher voltage of the battery you could get enough power to run a small compressor. As my bikes have Anderson Connectors all I would have to do is easily unplug them and plug in the compressor. Thanks for the tip WilliamT hopefully it will last longer than their controller I bought from them.

As far as being able to adapt to other plugs it is possible to splice on any connector as it is only a positive and negative to be done. Proprietary systems with integral batteries are the exception but you would have to have a fullish charge as most of those are 36v systems and the Luna charger only operates starting at 42v. A fully charged 36v battery is 44.4v.

Most electric pumps run from a 12v car outlet. Maybe wire up a 2.1 mm barrel connector to the pump and plug it into a power tool battery and that would do the trick. The Milwaukee M12 and M18 batteries have a 2.1 mm jack and a USB port for charging devices.

Luna claims, “Luna cycles is proud to be the first to announce an electric pump made for ebikes.” But these have been available for $15 shipped for several years. I have on and it’s quite handy. I convert most battery wiring to Anderson or XT. I made a couple of adapters using both. $15 Banggood free shipping.

Electric tire pumps would seem to be a clever idea for ebikes. I suppose it depends on personal preference and point of view. Not to be critical but personally, I don't see the wisdom in carrying such a bulky product which uses valuable battery power.

I use the small, lightweight Portland CO2 inflator mentioned by J.R., backed up by a mini hand pump. I've used it with several flats so far and it works perfectly.

My 48V is quite small. 5.5" x 5" x 2.5". It means I can also fill our airzound horns, add air to a number of recreational and camping products we sometimes drag along.

How about one of these? A full charge will give 6 inflations.

Fumpa Pump

Looks like a clever product but a bit pricey. On the plus side, It has the ability to recharge from USB equipped ebikes. Other than that, I don't see the advantage over lighter, smaller and cheaper CO2 inflators.

Looks like a clever product but a bit pricey. On the plus side, It has the ability to recharge from USB equipped ebikes. Other than that, I don't see the advantage over lighter, smaller and cheaper CO2 inflators.
Didn't check the price and never used a CO2 inflator. Usually it takes me a few minutes to get my MTB tyres up to 40 PSI which is adequate to get me home after repairing a flat. Going above 40 PSI takes ages with a hand pump, so I normally pump my tyres up to 65 PSI before leaving home using the big air compressor. I presume pumping hybrid/road bike tyres is a lot more difficult because of the higher pressures they require.

Didn't check the price and never used a CO2 inflator. Usually it takes me a few minutes to get my MTB tyres up to 40 PSI which is adequate to get me home after repairing a flat. Going above 40 PSI takes ages with a hand pump, so I normally pump my tyres up to 65 PSI before leaving home using the big air compressor. I presume pumping hybrid/road bike tyres is a lot more difficult because of the higher pressures they require.

The Co2 inflator easily pumps up my 26 x 2.0 MTB tires to 80 psi. I always carry extra C02 cartridges and a mini hand pump though just in case.

Back