Easy Motion Manuals

Thanks. I checked out the new manuals, and the spanglish is still a tad difficult to follow.

But I really dislike the way they tell people to remove the "safety clamp" aka torque arm when removing the rear wheel. There is NO NEED to do this, and this also messes with the brake caliper bracket. If you forget to reattach the torque arm, you'll risk serious injury, as the rear dropout can split in two while riding.

Why does the torque arm even have a dropout slot if you're supposed to remove it every time. :rolleyes:

Joergen,

What do you think of this video? Even Blue Monkey takes off the torque arm.

I'm getting my Jumper tomorrow and will want to put it together. How tight do you tighten the quick release bolts?

Cant wait. Of course we are getting 6 inches of snow tomorrow too.

Thanks,
Mike

I just picked up my evo snow from the warehouse ( couldn't afford wasting a day off to be home for delivery), it is unboxed but not unwrapped in the basement. No snow in the forecast here though!

On the torque arm, my guess would be they want you to remove it so that it gets properly aligned on the reinstall. Wonder if it is also so that it isn't inadvertently lost while the wheel is dismounted as well. It certainly isn't something you'd want to forget to put back on that is for sure!

I already commented on that video. :D

The arm wont get lost or misaligned when the bolt that holds it on has been properly tightened, and you never remove it to begin with. I suppose, depending on the tolerances in milling of individual parts and the alignment of the bolt hole, the arm might be so tight on the axle that it's hard to slot the axle out without the arm turning and clamping even harder, but that shouldn't be a problem after a few dozen miles.

I've removed my back wheel many times, for swapping out various tires, and all it takes is to have the bike upside down (don't crush the levers or display!), remove the quick release nuts, give the wheel a few gentle smacks to knock it loose from the dropouts, and proceed as usual. Have a wrench ready when dropping the wheel back in, so you can twist the axle into the slots, as it tends to spin one way from chain contact, but wont spin the other way with just a finger grip.

Removing the torque arm should be plan B, not normal procedure.

Back