Buy a new bike or stick with my 2015?

JET

Region
USA
In 2015 I purchased this EVO JET.

I take it to work and back home 13 miles each way but only in nice weather. 3000 miles on the odometer. I purchased a second battery charger and charge it up while at work for the ride home. My question is with the bike being a 2015 should I look into purchasing a new bike. I have about 20% battery life left when I get to work and about 10% left on the return trip home (more hills on the return trip). I'm worried in time something is due to give out like the hub motor or battery. If that happens should I just get it repaired, or should I sell the bike now while it still has some life in it and get something new?

what did you have on the battery when new? but if it dies it would be time for new unless you want to buy all new electronics.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions.

3000 miles isn't really that many for a quality bike. Unless abused, hub motors can last well over 10K miles. I have over 7K on my 2018 hub motor and have had no issues. The battery can be replaced but it could amount to a third the cost of a new bike. There are companies that will repack your battery case with new cells for considerably less than buying new.

What is the overall condition of the bike? Does the motor make strange noises or overheat? Parts like brake pads, chain, cassette, derailleur and tires are all easily replaceable but the costs can add up. If you like the bike and it suits your needs, why not put a few $$ into maintenance and keep it?

That being said, there is definitely an allure about having a new bike though. Many of us don't need much of an excuse to buy a newer model. There really isn't a right or wrong answer here, and ultimately, the choice is up to you.

I think I'm leaning toward buying a new bike and keeping the old one for short trips.
Don't make the mistake of buying the new e-bike from yet another brand that might disappear before you blink :)
Also, make a research and get yourself something with the latest motor and battery model.
On the other hand, you have had the benefit of riding a single e-bike for 7-8 years. That's a lot!

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions.

3000 miles isn't really that many for a quality bike. Unless abused, hub motors can last well over 10K miles. I have over 7K on my 2018 hub motor and have had no issues. The battery can be replaced but it could amount to a third the cost of a new bike. There are companies that will repack your battery case with new cells for considerably less than buying new.

What is the overall condition of the bike? Does the motor make strange noises or overheat? Parts like brake pads, chain, cassette, derailleur and tires are all easily replaceable but the costs can add up. If you like the bike and it suits your needs, why not put a few $$ into maintenance and keep it?

That being said, there is definitely an allure about having a new bike though. Many of us don't need much of an excuse to buy a newer model. There really isn't a right or wrong answer here, and ultimately, the choice is up to you.
10k miles on the hub motor. That's good to hear. The only time I hear anything out of it is on the return trips up the hills. I've just had it gone over at my local bike shop. It's in great shape but what has me looking at new bikes is the new mid-drive model ebikes.

Honestly just buy a new bike because you are missing out. There are $1000 bikes that will out perform this evo in Range and power! Dont even factor in selling the bike because you will get nothing for it compared to what you paid. I would try and find an additional battery and just use the bike for a back up or for friends or something.

$3000 will get you far more range and power these days, trying to sell this bike would be tough.

2015 Evo Jet

Motor Nominal Output:​

350 watts

Motor Peak Output:​

548 watts

Motor Torque:​

37 Newton meters

Battery Brand:​

Samsung

Battery Voltage:​

36 volts

Battery Amp Hours:​

11.6 ah

Battery Watt Hours:​

417.6 wh

Nice looking bike, Does it ride OK? It's not a Bosch with secret electrical protocols. If needed, everything on that bike, except the battery could easily be replaced with generic stuff. The battery would have to be re-celled, but that's not rocket science either. Is it worth $600-800 to do that if you keep the bike as a spare.
If it's an appliance for you, keep riding it til the battery dies, Then repair it. If biking is also a fun activity for you, then buy a nicer one now like Stefan sez.

If ain't broke don't fix it !
I concur.
If you are happy with it and it's reliable, what's the problem. It's actually a very nice looking bike.
As Harry states it's easily maintainable.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want a new toy... Then by all means indulge yourself as you've gotten good use out of it.
I have a 3yr old diy build on a 15yr old bike that now has 10k on the motor. It runs perfectly and does all I need it to. That said, I do have the spring time warmth starting a fire in my pocket for something new and more exciting 🙃

Thanks for the replies. My plan going forward is to use the EVO JET as a local crusier. It's still a great bike. I'll buy a new bike for long trips. I have my eye on the NCM Moscow plus but I'm still researching other brands.

It’s is fun to look at new bikes and explore everything 2023 has to offer. I do that, but don’t need a new bike.

If it were me, and the bike fit me well, I would maybe look at a new battery. Perhaps a new controller and display could breath new life in to your aging bike.

If looking at new bike, may I recommend Ride1Up. They have many options under $2000. Their support site is a well of helpful videos.

Thanks for the replies. My plan going forward is to use the EVO JET as a local crusier. It's still a great bike. I'll buy a new bike for long trips. I have my eye on the NCM Moscow plus but I'm still researching other brands.
Reasonable and why not. And you have the luxury of time to research your options.
ps... Pay no attention to the euro_zero. His views are far too narrow for all but the snobbish

I guess the Moscow is not the worst choice you could make, most of the parts can be sourced after market. Only issue i see is it does have a Das-Kit motor which could be an issue to source if Moscow were to go under one day. I think Das-Kit are made buy MXUS but im not sure if a MXUS motor is a direct drop in replacement.

I would holdout until it no longer serves its purpose because the battery and motor technology is evolving rapidly. The longer you can wait, the better the new bike you will be able to buy.

Thanks for the replies. I am curious where I could get my old battery renewed. I'm in the US. Is there a company that rebuilds battery packs?

I just got done watching Court's review (and another reminder of how terrific and informative his ebike video reviews are!) A few thoughts:

THAT is one, nice bike! (@Stefan Mikes: this bike is every bit the competitor to what the top level ebike manufacturers of the day were putting out. The first ebike I happened to ride while out trail riding on my Fatboy in 2016 was a Specialized with a rear hub drive much like this BH. I got talking to the owner about it and he was gracious enough to let me try it for a spin down the towpath trail.) Well specced out. Note the battery is an internal one. Not many manufacturers were doing internal batteries in 2015 like BH did with this bike. Oh, they are now the Industry Standard, but back then, very rare to find one. The frame is even ahead of it's time in being a low step frame. Looking at the Haibike Euro catalog and it's only recently that they've offered a low step frame in their model catalog.

BH for a time in the US, sold some well made bikes featuring the Yamaha PW, PW-X mid drive motor as well as a Brose mid drive.

But now, here is the rub about re-celling that BH battery pack as a few folks have suggested. If this battery bms is like that of their BH Atom/Brose series, I'm afraid findng a battery rebuilder to touch that proprietary battery will be a tough nut to crack. I think our poster @ChezCheese:) had a lenghty and fruitless thread on trying to have her BH Brose battery rebuilt.

The hope here is that being a Dapu rear hub motor won't have the rebuild issues that the Brose models in the BH lineup have.

Back