Easy Freewheel (rear cassette) Change on my RadMini Under $50

Love my new RadMini, but found the gearing a bit low for my tastes. Lower than the Rover, probably due to 20" v 26" wheels. After looking on another thread and call Rad, I did the following.

Purchased a DP 11/28 Freewheel on Amazon for $32 (free shipping with Prime). (DNP Epoch Freewheel 7spd 11-28 Nickel Plated)

Purchased the "special" rear cassette tool from Rad for $5.00 (the guy in tech said many shops didn't have the specific tool for the Rad Ebike).

Took it the local shop, they charged me $10 to change it. The mechanic at first said they had all the tools needed, but later said he did need the special tool from Rad. Just FYI.

It's more than a 20% change in top gear (11 v 14) and is quite noticeable when cruising at speeds in excess of 15 mph. The low gear (28) is unchanged.
I've emailed RAD regarding the rear cassette tool, they responded saying they do not provide such tool. Any alternatives out there?

Would a car spark plug socket work? What size is the rear socket on the rad-mini4?

I've emailed RAD regarding the rear cassette tool, they responded saying they do not provide such tool. Any alternatives out there?

Would a car spark plug socket work? What size is the rear socket on the rad-mini4?
Um, nope. The nut we're engaging with this tool is engaged using the OUTSIDE of the tool.

Further, this tool must often be slipped over the motor power wires, further complicating the issue.

Check out the pictures in this thread for an idea of how some are doing this:

D3A1B3B8-28CA-49B7-A609-03C60AD62949.jpeg

WTF? That’s a $10 tool!
He's taken a lot of heat for that price, but I understand he is actually making them himself in house. I agree though.

He's taken a lot of heat for that price, but I understand he is actually making them himself in house. I agree though.
And a 23mm wrench? As silly as the Bafang socket Californiaebike sold needing an 1 5/16”
dremel out a 1/2 drive version.

Most of the newer bikes from Rad have the cable exiting on the left, much better IMHO.

At some point when you are doing this kind of job, frustration kicks in, what is your time worth? I have purchased several $$ tools for cars that I only used once but it saved me going to a shop.

I slotted a park tool to remove the old freewheel and it would not budge, I was installing the upgraded motor anyway so I just purchased another freewheel and sold the old motor with the old freewheel.

Back