Easily defeat Hexlox

Avg_Joe

Region
USA
City
RDU, NC
I bought the Hexlox front wheel skewer and seatpost clamp set for my Rad Rover. I take the seat off to flip the bike over for maintenance, and obviously adjust the seat. The small Hexlox insert has given me fits since the day I got it, and it is always a PITA to get things just right in order to remove it. They key design is awful to me - ergonomics and feel do not exist. Today, I just spent 30 minutes trying to remove the d**n thing and was getting very frustrated - to the point I was about to grab my Dremel and cut the seatpost clamp bolt. Then I had an epiphany:

I grabbed a razor blade, inserted the corner/tip between the Hexlox insert and the bolt head, pried it outwards, done - the insert came right out. Cool, I thought, so I tried it on the larger insert on the front wheel skewer - same. <30 seconds, 2 Hexlox inserts removed.

Now, I question how many thieves carry razor blades, but for me the prime issues are: 1) these magnetic inserts can be removed trivially without the key and 2) any sense of security they provided just vanished.

O well, more coin down the drain. May go with the Save Your Seat lock for the seatpost, unsure what I'll use for the front wheel.

I personally never considered Hexlox as a solution against prepared and motivated thieve - this is just extra annoyance level, which can make this particular bike less appealing as a parts target than next one without Hexlox'es on them. Looked at the Save Your Seat Lock - this thing is MASSIVE comparing to the Hexlox.
Would be interesting to hear some stories where Hexlox helped (or not helped) to prevent parts from being stolen!

No matter what you do for security someone will find a way to defeat it. The Hexlox came about from bicycle messengers gluing a bearing into the allen head to save their seats from being seatnapped. I might try the razor blade trick just to see if it works, but I totally love the Hexlox product line.

Are you using the the Hexlox 'as is' on a steel allen bolt or did you have to stick the little adhesive disc inside a non-magnetic allen head?

The 'Key" system works great unless grit and grime gets in around, or under, the Hexlox. You should make sure everything is clean before putting the Hexlox back in. My seat clamp is protected by pretty good fenders and a battery mount.

My 'hood is famous for stealing seats and post while your bike is parked outside. I have a Hexlox on a SE bmx seat clamp (the seat clamp has a nice, deep steel allen head) and also under the bottom of my seat where it connects to the cheap pogo post. I've locked my ebike up in some seriously sketchy areas and have yet to get my seat kidnapped.

I'll post my results when I get around to trying the razor blade trick. I still wonder how well the Hexlox sits inside the allen head and if the allen head was grubby when you installed it.

I'll post my results when I get around to trying the razor blade trick. I still wonder how well the Hexlox sits inside the allen head and if the allen head was grubby when you installed it.
Both of the fixtures I used were from Hexlox - the seatpost clamp bolt and the front wheel skewer. Magnetism isn't the issue.

I had installed the front wheel skewer/Hexlox insert, put the little plastic cap on it, and hadn't touched it since install. It was perfectly clean.

On the seatpost clamp, it was clean. I hit the bolt + Hexlox insert with denatured alcohol on a cloth-like paper towel whenever I remove the insert; and install it as per instructions.

I'm doing some work on my bike, I may try to take some photos or even a quick video of removing them with a razor blade. The insert cannot fully fill the bolt key head as it does need to be turned slightly and must be removable, and any gap between the insert and bolt head is enough to get a blade in there.

Following up, I found that using a Hillman black oxide button head bolt for the seatpost, grade 10.9, has much better magnetic properties than the mild stainless (?) bolt Hexlox includes. The Hexlox also fits the head much, much tighter - so much so that I could not find any way to pry it out of the bolt. This tight fit also prevents the Hexlox from moving/spinning in the bolt head, which makes key engagement much simpler.

Kind of a satisfied customer at this point, I guess.

I've still not gotten around to messing with my Hexlox. When I do I'll post my results.

Back