E-scooter rider BUSTED for operating without licence & insurance

In the U.S., at least in the state of California with which I am most familiar with the laws, there is a defined category of low power electric scooter. These must have pedals per the law (which are largely cosmetic on all such scooters I have seen, but are present ......

These electric scooters are allowed to share the roadway with other vehicles where the posted speed limit is 35mph or less......

More importantly they are not allowed in bike lanes, on bike paths or bike trails.
This makes more sense than respective Canadian regulations. You're either an bicycle or not. Less room for bending the rules.

Because he can't use pedals. It is not made for pedaling, single gear and the geometry is wrong. These pedals are getting in the way, making ride uncomfortable and dangerous. Some just remove the pedals or put a bungee cord on it. It is a low-speed scooter pretending to be an ebike, to avoid licensing and insurance.

They can get stoned on weed or drunk and still can't be stopped from sharing the road. Some are not low-speed even. Bikes are enjoying same privileges but a partially assisted or non-powered bike requires a fair amount of pedaling, they are less likely to do this "under the influence".
Where I live I have seen People on bicycles, get DUIs. They definitely stop people here if they are impaired no matter what they’re driving

Where I live I have seen People on bicycles, get DUIs. They definitely stop people here if they are impaired no matter what they’re driving
I was stopped for this in the 80s. Fortunately no ticket!
If you can get stopped for public intoxication while walking down a street, you surely can for riding a bike that way.

This is kinda funny. Where I live LE could care less while riding a bicycle.
Personally, I never thought about getting in/on any vehicle with or without a motor while intoxicated. Just a recipe for disaster. The first thing I recall during driver's training was drive defensively and always watch out for the other guy while operating a motorized vehicle. So true! ;)

Last edited:
This is kinda funny. Where I live LE could care less while riding a bicycle.
Personally, I never thought about getting in/on any vehicle with or without a motor while intoxicated. Just a recipe for disaster.

The first thing I recall during driver's training was drive defensively and always watch out for the other guy while operating a motorized vehicle. So true! ;)

The environment is even worse today... too many people texting and driving while distracted.

More dangerous and widespread than DUI according to law enforcement! :eek:

That's not an e-scooter. This is an e-scooter : BMW C Evolution
image.png

Firstly, I suspect we live in different countries with different mechanisms for law formation and reform. I don't know why you perceive politicians as the people responsible, but most politicians see their job as getting re elected

In my country, Australia, any electrically powered two wheeled vehicle with over250 w nominal power and assistance beyond 25 kph is classed as an electric motorbike. If it has a throttle, that drops back to 200 w . So those are motorbikes with pedals attached.

Right back at you " . This allows it to correctly include, or exclude certain behaviors, parameters or definitions which balance the needs of the society. " . Yet you advocate manipulating the intent of legislature to allow individuals to behave against the needs of society. So again, would you be comfortable with mr Moron riding these vehicles on shared paths with children?
We have plenty of places in US where e bikes share paths with analog bikes and pedestrians. Our bikes can usually go up to 20 mph but on bike paths there is sometimes a lower speed limit. Yes I am ok with that. Many people with analog bikes can travel at 20 mph or more.

IMHO, any vehicle (no matter how many wheels it has) that can go over 40 mph on level ground
-Requires a license
-Should not be allowed on hiking/biking trails (AND any animal not on a 6’ leash can be shot).🤐

IMHO, any vehicle (no matter how many wheels it has) that can go over 40 mph on level ground
-Requires a license
-Should not be allowed on hiking/biking trails
Over 28 mph, to be precise.
What the American call Class 3 has been precisely defined by EU as L1e-B (that is a 45 km/h moped with all safety bells & whistles; anything above is a motorcycle).
(AND any animal not on a 6’ leash can be shot).🤐
Amen.

Over 28 mph, to be precise.
What the American call Class 3 has been precisely defined by EU as L1e-B (that is a 45 km/h moped with all safety bells & whistles; anything above is a motorcycle).

Amen.
Way hurt the animal when the owners are to blame?

Because if you shoot the owner the animal is absolutely on its own...I really agree it is the owner at fault

Humans are animals. Remember when education was a good thing?'"
Ah, you must remember we are animals with the "Divine spark",(remember when Sunday School was a good thing?) We are given the admonition" go forth and multiply- the earth is yours"( manifest destiny?)
("I-Pad" I hear you calling, this computer is cruising to the donation Gals)

Ah, you must remember we are animals with the "Divine spark",(remember when Sunday School was a good thing?) We are given the admonition" go forth and multiply- the earth is yours"( manifest destiny?)
("I-Pad" I hear you calling, this computer is cruising to the donation Gals)
Well, someone is to blame for all this.
We share about 97% of our genes with chimps, but only 50% of our genes with siblings (monozygotic twins excepted). My own brother was one of the many unfortunate victims of this inequity.

Oh yeah. We've been divinely sparked into making the earth less tenable for all the other "animals" as well as ourselves.
Apparently Suday school wasn't a good enough thing.
We don't need any more human multiplying.

(Apologies for contributing to the drift. Isn't this an e-bike blog?)

Back