E-Bikes - Seriously, Just what the Doctor ordered...

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Docs are saying to GET OUTSIDE.

Natural Medicine: More Doctors Prescribing Time Outdoors

Birdwatch for long-tailed ducks. Search for shells. Sketch some snowdrops. Ride an E-Bike! (ha, I added that one, but seriously, what could be more fun and relaxing ? Plus you can still 'sit' while biking, yet get plenty of exercise.)

These are some of the prescriptions you might receive if you go to a doctor in the Shetland Islands of Scotland and say that you are suffering from stress, heart disease, diabetes, mental health problems or other chronic conditions.

Starting Oct. 5, the UK's National Health Service (NHS) in Shetland has authorized doctors there to prescribe time outdoors, The Guardian reported. Doctors will pass out pamphlets written by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) advising patients on walks to take and wildlife to watch out for.

https://www.ecowatch.com/natural-medicine-doctors-prescribing-outdoors-2614316041.html

With E-Bikes, See MORE of mother nature, in a shorter period of time.

Why waste time and argue about a 'mid-drive' versus a 'hub-drive', or spend months and months researching on-line?

Just go buy one. Best money you'll ever spend. Its for YOU, and YOUR HEALTH. YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH combined.

You'll be happy with most, and every hour outside, beats an hour inside, sitting at a keyboard, which most people do now every day on their 'yob' working for 'da man.

It's called a life script in Australia and our NPS / RACGP / dept multiple name changes have been encouraging doctors to hand them out instead of drug scripts for decades. They are even trying to get pharmacists onboard by paying them to give talks to doctors about back pain / mental health issues ( the cynic in me thinks that letting the pharmacists think they are teaching doctors might get them to rethink their "take another pill" mentality )

I'm looking forward to the day that docs can write scripts for govt subsidised turbo levos , it's probably more cost effective than scripts for heart / weight / bloodpressure and depression tablets but more importantly it would kill the black market for opiate scripts overnight - the doctor shoppers could make a lot more selling turbo levos on the black market than they could make selling oxycodone....

Reactions: JRA
My doc wrote a recommendation for a bike for me, and I did not have to pay sales tax on my eBike here in Texas. LBS took the paper and I saved about $160.

It's getting cold here in N Michigan. We still want to ride our new ebikes but lately we've been having to wear balaclavas and ski hats.. Our helmets don't/wont fit over the head gear, not sure what the solution is except that we should have bought the bikes months ago.

It's getting cold here in N Michigan. We still want to ride our new ebikes but lately we've been having to wear balaclavas and ski hats.. Our helmets don't/wont fit over the head gear, not sure what the solution is except that we should have bought the bikes months ago.

Move somewhere with more reasonable weather?

LOL, nah, we enjoy our winter sports but it's too early for that, no snow yet. I know, I know, we should have bought fat tire bikes and ride in the snow. :) We live on a golf course that makes an ideal X-C ski area right out the back door. We also ride snowmobiles but you don't get much exercise on them but it does get us outside. Next door neighbors only come out to clear snow, sad.

There's a woman on the Pedego Owners Group on FB who rides non-fat-tire ebikes year-round in Minnesota (she has a Pedego--not sure if it's a city commuter or an interceptor, and also rode an iZip for years, year-round) and said she uses studded tires for winter. I didn't know such a thing existed, but they do, so I think you may just want to consider changing your tires up each Winter.

I've seen the down and dirty "studs" that are just zip ties every 2" or so around the tires

Just go buy one. Best money you'll ever spend. Its for YOU, and YOUR HEALTH. YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH combined.

You'll be happy with most, and every hour outside, beats an hour inside, sitting at a keyboard, which most people do now every day on their 'yob' working for 'da man.

I'm in the choir right next to you, singing this same song!!!!!

Look at snow board helmets. Insulated and they cover the ears. I still add neck cover when it gets near freezing.
Zip ties may help in snow, but studded tires are for ice. Snow riding is a real challenge. Ice with an inch of snow on it is really hazardous! Frozen snow rides like a cobblestone road, and slush kicks up and soaks you. That few inches of dry powder we get about twice a year is really fun. The rest of snow riding is a PAIN!

Tough choice today. 52F and the sun came out. Golf or ebike?

I did both. Nine holes using a golf cart instead of my usual walking and the course was empty, so I got done in 90 minutes. Came home, took a shower, changed clothes and rode for 90 minutes. Sun went away though.

5 hours blowing leaves today but my reward was to ride my ebike when we were done.. Sadly it started raining when we finished the leaves and was only 48 degrees, not conducive to a long fun ride, I'm not that hardcore (yet)... I wish we'd have bought our ebikes months ago but we did get a good deal on the leftover 2018 models. We were fortunate to find two that we really liked. Oh, I still rode a few miles in the rain, no electrical issues and it gave me an excuse to clean the bike and lube the chain

5 hours blowing leaves today but my reward was to ride my ebike when we were done.. Sadly it started raining when we finished the leaves and was only 48 degrees, not conducive to a long fun ride, I'm not that hardcore (yet)... I wish we'd have bought our ebikes months ago but we did get a good deal on the leftover 2018 models. We were fortunate to find two that we really liked. Oh, I still rode a few miles in the rain, no electrical issues and it gave me an excuse to clean the bike and lube the chain
My reward after 5 hours of blowing leaves would be a nap! :)

I once considered any temperature above zero F that had double digits to be warm enough to ride. I did have to stop at a friend's house on one ride to warm up. It was 10 degrees and going down the hills froze me. That was on a regular bike where I would get sweaty going up the hills. There was no snow on the road.

I will see how much I ride the e-bike this winter. We're supposed to have a warm and wet winter due to El Nino.

Any temp below 40f feels pretty brutal to me, especially going downhill. I think my tolerance for temp variances has gotten smaller as I've gotten older but we've been having so much fun that we still ride when it's below 40. Rain again today and snow forecast tonight so we're not going out to ride but both bikes are in the living room so we can oogle them

Today we had a spate of sunshine in the midst of rainy weather, and young teen daughter and I rode our bikes to church. When we were leaving, it was pouring. Not our usual Seattle light rain, but heavy rain. We hopped on our bikes and rode the mile ride home. Daughter was complaining at first, and then I said, "Well, what's more fun, riding home in the car, or getting caught in the rain on our bikes?" And, she agreed that the chilly ride home was fun. We got home and changed into cozy clothes.

That's one thing good about the e-bikes. When I got caught in a downpour, I could speed up the bike and got home a lot faster than on an acoustic bike.

After hip surgery, my doctor was very pleased I was into ebiking. I just wish he could prescribe some good weather to do it in.

Back