E-Bikes not welcome @ CicLAvia Hollywood August 18?

They came with no data in their 8000lb SUVs to make this decision which seemingly says we don't need human scale transportation. How an ebike could be viewed as de-catalyzing public spaces is beyond my comprehension. In reality all multi-use paths have issues that can be worked out.

Last edited:
Likely the same mamby-pamby people that were opposed to raising the 55mph speed limit on interstates are involved here. They come with no data to support their opinions and come to the debate in their 8,000lb SUVs and say we don't need human scale transportation because "I'll be dead in less than 10 years, so why should I care about solutions." Not exactly the people we want making any decisions besides what constipation relief to buy.
Huh? That’s quite a rant you’re on there! Go ride somewhere else. We’re not entitled to total inclusion because we like eBikes. A more calm discussion is what helps educate, not name calling.

Last edited:
I guess we are not welcome here:

Can I use an electric bike, scooter, skateboard, or hoverboard on the route?

CicLAvia is open to all forms of people-powered, non-motorized transport. This does not include e-bikes, powered scooters or skateboards, or hoverboards.
If you require a pedal assist bike due to a medical issue, you are welcome to ride that at CicLAvia. Please travel a safe speed and ensure that you follow the rules of the road.
"CicLAvia is a 501c3 non-profit", operating on the city streets in Los Angeles where ebikes are legal. I have doubts that a ban would hold up to legal scrutiny. If bikes are allowed, one would think class 1 and 2 would be allowed, unless the city or state allowed this specific restriction. You could challenge them on that point and see what they say.

Huh? That’s quite a rant you’re on there! Go ride somewhere else. We’re not entitled to total inclusion because we like eBikes. A more calm discussion is what helps educate, not name calling.

I apologize for the rant but the world needs human scale transportation solutions like what they are seemingly outright banning because of some growing pains. I may have misinterpreted what the event was but I think the ban is reducing the intent the event.

I'm 58 years old and I was seriously injured in an ebike accident this year (hit ice on a wooden bridge and went head first into a fence post which resulted to multiple unstable fractures of my neck) but I still believe in the transformation capability of ebikes. I think a lot of the efforts by those wanting very restrictive assist speeds and power levels is intended to prevent that from happening. There really isn't any safety data that backs the current assist limits but safety is often cited as being the justification. I would have likely have had the same accident on a traditional bike so I don't think my accident was a data point to say ebikes are unsafe.

Last edited:
I communicated with Ciclavia about this a few years ago. They said it had to do with their insurance. We went anyway and rode with our power turned off, which they said would be fine, but others rode with their power on. No one seemed to care.

Re. CicLAvia, a patient, rational read of, and incorporation of the findings of this March 2018 report, into municipal and private event rules and regulations, would go a loooooong way to establish that e-Bikes are not a threat to public safety...

"A North American Survey of Electric Bicycle Owners" NITC U.S. Department of Transportation, Portland State University, University of Tennessee.

https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-conte...an_Survey_Electric_Bicycle_Owners_1h70rdN.pdf

...Ride On!

I plan to ride my ebike in ciclavia this weekend. The rules say you can use electric assist if you need it for health reasons or disability. I am a few months out from chemo therapy and am only able to ride any distance with electric assist.

I went to ciclavia today. I saw many many ebikes. There were also a lot of electric scooter riders. Even saw an electric unicycle. Electric vehicles may have been 10% or more of participants. There was even a Tern booth where they were displaying electric bikes. Unfortunately it was more of a mass gathering than a ride. I had to turn off assist or keep it really low because moving speed was about 6 mph. Too many people were swerving all over. Little kids could not control their bikes. It was more scary than fun.

I’d say electric bikes are not at all unwelcome, just tacitly allowed.

We have been going to these events since the beginning back in 2010 we were the only ones on EBike, now there every where you look. We have never been asked to leave. I’ve been call a cheater a few times but I’m used to that. We always tell our customers to ride with caution and respect to your fellow riders and Citizens.

Back