E Bikes for Heavy People

alloo

Region
USA
City
Albuquerque, NM
I want to purchase an ebike for commuting. I live in Denver and have about a 13 mile commute one way. I weigh 250lbs and am 5'8". Does any ebike manufacture make ebikes for big guys. I texted blix and the CSR told me the bikes are made for riders 220 lbs and less, but the bike can carry up to 300 lbs. I guess I have to lose some weight before I get an ebike. I was also looking at the Trek Verve +, Electra Townie Go 8D, Yamaha Cross Core, and Blix Prima.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank You.

I found a sixthreezero EvryJourney 500W bike hub drive is good up to 300-320 lbs. They start shipping at the end of May. Thank You. The bike weighs 75 lbs charge time 4 hours.

I want to purchase an ebike for commuting. I live in Denver and have about a 13 mile commute one way. I weigh 250lbs and am 5'8". Does any ebike manufacture make ebikes for big guys. I texted blix and the CSR told me the bikes are made for riders 220 lbs and less, but the bike can carry up to 300 lbs. I guess I have to lose some weight before I get an ebike. I was also looking at the Trek Verve +, Electra Townie Go 8D, Yamaha Cross Core, and Blix Prima.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank You.

How often do you want to use an automatic ride?
I think that any bike will suit you, the main thing is to choose a mountain bike, they will withstand loads. In any case, sincerely wish you lose weight and improve your health!

Last edited:
Thank You for your replies. I ended up purchasing a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE. I have been commuting on a regular bicycle to work every other day. On July 1st, I started using the Raleigh. I am a diabetic. I have lost 10 lbs and lowered my A1c to 6.1 through bicycling and eating healthier. Previously, my A1c was 7.4. My insulin levels have decreased more than 30% since I have started bicycling.

My commute times started at 75 minutes going to work and 80 minutes going home. After two months, I have reduced my commute to work to 50 minutes and 70 minutes on a regular bike. On my ebike in level 2 assist, I can commute about 50 minutes each way. On level 3 assist, it takes me about 45 minutes each way. I haven't tried level 4 assist, as our speed limits on bike trails are 15 MPH and the Park & Recreation district has been giving out speeding tickets.

I have looked at the Rad Power bikes, but they seemed to be too heavy at 68 lbs. New ebike upgrades have come out and I keep going back to the Blix Aveny or Sol as they have increased their Battery Voltage to 48V. Thank You.

I started at 303 on my VEB Cafe, after confirming with them that my weight (plus carrying a commuting bag of stuff) wouldn't pose a problem. They assured me the bike would be fine.
Now, I've lost 60 pounds since then, which is terrific -- but while I was still heavier in the first 3 months, the bike died a mysterious, sudden electronic death after just 800 miles -- there was some evidence of melted plastic in the battery connector, like a sparking short had happened -- I have NO idea if that could have been a result of my weight at that time... VEB didn't seem to think so (they sent a brand new bike.) I've had no other issues like that.

At 250#, I concur with others here that there are many, if indeed most, eBikes will be fine for you. I now have a Trek Police (PowerFly 5 with Performance motor) that is rated at 300 with gear. I am 295 naked. I just don't do crazy, high-torque, things or jumps... Living in a very hilly/mountainous area of Virginia, the eBike has revolutionized my 53yo access to biking! My routes have now opened up to me, where before it was insurmountable.

Rmpl

As someone who's average about 260lbs with gear on, rides trails on the weekends (on a bike rated for 250lbs), the only thing to worry are the components & suspension. If you're just commuting, you'll be fine. With a rigid bike, I can see things like the handle bars and pedals will things that might need replacing first over time. But if you're already commuting with a normal bike, getting an ebike won't be that much of a difference, its just the added motor & battery. Just make sure to get a bike your size and comfortable with.

Back