E-Bike Research

I'm probably the only one claiming that the throttle is under siege...yet I've been through this "we're all brothers and only want the best for both of us.." crap with single track motorcyclists over ten years ago as an atv/side-by-side enthusiast. When you sit back and allow others to (initially) define even the terms and definitions involving your differences or more importably the solutions you both need to brainstorm...you're sunk. My contention is that if manufacturers won't even confront these elitists initially (in public)...they sure as heck will have little incentive to produce products which confront them in the marketplace, at the trailhead (ie. 'the real world' where we live) or even competitive events where solid reputations have traditionally been forged.
Maybe some of those bikes that Chris mentioned (above) are something other than TranzX drives...yet nobody has said otherwise to date or offered any other suggestions for fellow throttle junkies.
Dash,

I agree that the throttle seems to be under siege. I see no reason not to have it available.

I have the Dash. I am 69, not a lightweight and a big advocate of having both pedal assist and throttle. I use the throttle to get started and that's it. I usually leave the bike in high gear so the throttle from the get go is a great feature. I use pedal assist the rest of the time. I have used the cruise control a few times after a long ride and it is a nice feature. Much better than holding the throttle as has been mentioned. Just lock in the speed you like and it takes you home. Sounds silly, but it is a cool feature. The choices that Chicagoland is serving up are all good ones. The main thing is making sure the geometry works for you. I put a riser on my handle bars to get a more upright riding position. Made a difference. Much more comfortable now. Also put a Thudbuster ST under the seat which helps.

I use the throttle to get started and that's it. I usually leave the bike in high gear so the throttle from the get go is a great feature. I put a riser on my handle bars to get a more upright riding position. Made a difference. Much more comfortable now.
I'm in the higher gears a lot also as for some reason this seems more natural to me on the Dash. Not for speed necessarily yet it simply feels like I'm doing more work and easier on my joints (which probably doesn't make much sense). Great point in regards to the throttle getting you into those higher gears as well.
I'd like to know what your riser ended up being (please) and if you had to reroute some wire to accomplish it. I've been reluctant to change anything ergonomically on either of our bikes as we're both getting back in the saddle again so to speak..yet I'd like to make the change soon if converting to more of a cruiser style is possible without control functionality loss. I'm guessing/hoping that the BodyFloat and new seats on the way might further this desire (thanks).

I had my local bike shop install the handlebar riser. I believe it was 2". As I recall, he did have to change one of the brake wires which meant he cut the old one off and refabricated a new one that needed to be longer. It was simple enough for him to do, but beyond my level of expertise. I would highly recommend you consider it as it has made a big difference in my riding comfort.

I installed the Thudbuster LT, but it changed the ergonomics for me and made the seat too high and moved the seat back too far. I now have the ST version which has far less travel and sits a bit lower, but it isn't as good a solution as the LT in that while it absorbs some shock is is much subtle. I was too impatient to wait for the BodyFloat. I tried three different seats until I found one I liked. These three modifications have really made a big difference in the Dash for me. It is a pleasure to ride. It is fast and super quiet as you know.

As for the gears, in the beginning I was shifting the gears a lot but the wear and tear on my thumb was a bother. I found as you have that staying in the higher gear seems to be more natural and you do work harder which I like. I rarely change gears unless I am riding with friends that are non electric. I need a lower gear to keep my speed down in the ten mph range where they like to ride on the local bike paths.

Thanks for the simple riser suggestion and height you tried. I have been hoping that I somehow stumble across an ideal ergonomic handlebar position with all of the research that must have been done by now on the matter (I'd even switch to more of a 'cruiser' style grip with the wrists flared out a bit if this was deemed 'better'/more comfortable with no control loss) yet there seems to be no consensus anywhere for casual riders. I should also do this at the same time that these new seats/BodyFloats arrive to make certain that all three work together.
As you offered, I'll probably have the work done by my LBS (it wouldn't surprise me if I have to look at other seats as well) as I doubt that I can fit myself or any of these components to this bike better than they can.

Last edited:
The seat I settled on is the Selle Royal Respiro Soft Relaxed Seat from Amazon Prime for $42. The first modification I made was widely discussed on EBR and really made a big difference in the bike. The OEM pedals on the dash are small as Court points out often in his bike reviews. These Wellgo MG-1 Pedals are amazing. Light, big, the screws you see help your shoes stick to the pedals. At $42 on Amazon, a great improvement to the bike. Actually I would imagine to any bike. I tried to install them myself but didn't have the right tool for the job. I couldn't get the old ones off! The LBS had the tool and made easy work of it. Putting these guys on your bike is a no brainer. Big difference and they come in lots of colors.
  • 61cgAv3%2BNhL._SX522_.jpg

Wellgo MG-1 MG1 Magnesium 9/16" Downhill Platform Pedals MTB/DH/BMX Flat Cage

Dash,
I agree that the throttle seems to be under siege. I see no reason not to have it available.
When we see the throttle being singled out in the IMBA's latest edict to Larry and all those who dare support him or the sport..it doesn't look good.

These Wellgo MG-1 Pedals are amazing. Light, big, the screws you see help your shoes stick to the pedals. At $42 on Amazon, a great improvement to the bike. Actually I would imagine to any bike.
For some reason they're now $10 less w/shipping..so I just made them our new pedals (thanks!). I'll purchase that seat if the ones on order don't pan out.
It's hard to believe how much time (and money) we've saved outfitting our bikes by simply listening to the good people on this forum.
A big THANK YOU to everyone! (I'm hoping that we're done now).

A couple of observations....

No love for the Pedego offerings? Is there some reason you all DIDN'T get a Pedego? Just curious.

Secondly, I saw the 2015 line-up for BH/EasyMotion. The Nitro line looks very interesting as I believe they have a 500w motor and a 48v battery. Anxious to hear/see Court's reviews from InterBike.

Again, thanks to all for the kind input.

Back