e-bike noob

offthewall

Region
USA
Hey all,

I just purchased my first e-bike after MANY years of biking retirement. :)

I've got a Trek Allant+ 8S. Only a couple of days riding it but so far I love it. I feel like Superman riding this thing. Hills that I couldn't do when I was in my 40's I can now climb with ease. So far I've only transferred my seat and pedals from my old Gary Fisher MTB to the Trek. Got to start accessorizing.

Attachments

• dw_Trek_Allant8S.jpeg
    dw_Trek_Allant8S.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to EBR. Nice bike, and we have an active Trek forum here with many members on Allants.

When I collected my brand new Vado SL from the LBS and was on a 20+ mile ride home, I was sick of not having the mirror on the e-bike... Had a Mirrycle soon after!
I can't decide which mirror to purchase. I had thought about getting bar end style. But now I have Ergon three grips and I enjoy occasionally riding open-handed and believe that the bar end mirror might get in my way.

I can't decide which mirror to purchase. I had thought about getting bar end style. But now I have Ergon three grips and I enjoy occasionally riding open-handed and believe that the bar end mirror might get in my way.
Mirrycle and never look back 😊 Here's how you mount it properly.
(The photo taken now on my ride).

Attachments

• 20230719_181205-01.jpeg
    20230719_181205-01.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 129
Mirrycle and never look back 😊 Here's how you mount it properly.
(The photo taken now on my ride).

Installed. I have yet to ride with the mirror installed and foresee potentially needing some mild adjustment(s).....but safer I will be! (it seems awfully close to my palm when using the grips in standard position?). I could see that the mirror could be swung outward during a ride which would give my hand more hand clearance? We shall see. Anyway....thanks for the advice!!

PXL_20230720_184703508.jpg

The only upgrades that I have done are the grips (Ergon GP3) and I just put on some Crank Brothers Stamp 7 pedals.
I would have thought that I would have changed the seat most immediately, however, I seem to get along ok with the stock seat.

PXL_20230720_184723863.jpg

Excellent @mfgrep!

When the outer arm of the Mirrycle is positioned at 45 deg (and the GP3 is positioned correctly), the distance of the mirror's edge to the grip will be less than half inch. It has never posed any issue for me. The way you hold your hand on the grip does not interfere with the mirror. Don't swing the mirror, the whole point is the mirror is rock solid when tightened properly (very strongly - it is brass!) Yes, you can delicately adjust the mirror's vertical position for the correct view and also it is necessary to make a minimal horizontal adjustment as you ride.

The Mirrycle was first recommended to me by the former active Forum member David Berry, and many Forum members use that very mirror. It is a durable piece of equipment. The only bad thing that might happen to it is breaking its arm on a heavy crash but at least Mirrycle is inexpensive... By the way, carry the provided "inch" hex key with you for several rides. It is unusual to have the mirror fastened with both inch and metric wrenches but it is the way it is! :)

I like your GP3s (I use GP2s). I like your Stamps (gone with 1 and 3, starting with 7s; nothing wrong but after I bent the 7 on a crash I decided to go the less expensive way) :)

The stock Bridge Sport saddle is the best of the ones I own, and many gravel riders share my view.

Many happy miles!

Hey all,

I just purchased my first e-bike after MANY years of biking retirement. :)

I've got a Trek Allant+ 8S. Only a couple of days riding it but so far I love it. I feel like Superman riding this thing. Hills that I couldn't do when I was in my 40's I can now climb with ease. So far I've only transferred my seat and pedals from my old Gary Fisher MTB to the Trek. Got to start accessorizing.
Hello, And Welcome.

Wow ! The Allant +8S is a great bike. Excellent choice. I have two 'older' Trek e-Bikes and I'm extremely pleased.
11,000 miles with zero problems. Should you be in the market for a suspension seat post, consider the Kenekt Active
seat post. I have one on each of my e-bikes and love them..

All the best,
John

This looks quite nicely manufactured.....and better than 99% of the others I've seen. How has it been working for you?
No issues. Mirror is clear, holds its adjustment, etc. I was dawn to this one since it was so clean looking, really nicely made. It looks like it came on the bike.

Back