E Bike for small woman - NOT a cruiser

kb1gra

Hello -

I've been looking at electric bikes for several weeks and have hit something of a wall. I'd like a pretty high spec model because I ride a lot with my husband now, and am looking for something to help me keep up on longer rides without killing myself - but it seems that even with a big-ish budget, almost no bikes are available in a small enough frame size. I tried the Specialized Turbo Vado, but the S frame size requires a new stem and seat post and even then the top tube is still too long. In a "conventional" bike, I'd be a 14-15" frame, could do a 13.5 on a MTB style. The 16.5 step throughs that a lot of makers offer are too large. Standover height isn't the issue, it's reach.

I'm 5'1", 108lbs. I can spend up to $3500 on this. If I could get speed pedelec, that would be preferable. I also prefer integrated downtube battery for appearance, but I'm willing to punt on it and get one that is not integrated.

The shop is telling me the iZip E3 Dash step through would fit me - but it's totally out of stock in the size small. Pretty much the only other option that has available S or XS frames is Haibike, and this year they only have a lower spec women's model, the HardLife 2.0.

I only want to spend the money once and don't really want to get a lesser bike just because of frame size availability. It's still expensive so I'd still like it to be right.

Is there something I'm missing I should look at? I DO NOT want a cruiser style/missing top bar/city style bike with swept handlebars like the 24" Interceptor etc. I am going on 40-50 mile rides.

50 miles is a stretch for a speed pedelec you'll need a large battery or carry a spare, might be another argument for going DIY so you can choose your motor/battery to fit your needs, with the Grin motor simulator you can play with different motor/battery combinations.

Last edited:
I'm a short female (5'0") and I decided on the Easy Motion Evo Street, which comes with 26" tires, a low step-thru frame, and is not a "cruiser" bike but it is an urban bike. I purchased mine in 2015. Highly recommend this bike, really great for short females. Adjustable handlebars so you can have a more aggressive riding position or a more upright relaxed position.

The 2018 "pro" model comes with a more powerful 500 watt motor and a 48v battery. My 2015 model only has a 350 watt motor and a 36v battery, but even with that it's still very good.

Everyone likes the type of bike they like. Personal preference makes a huge difference in the selections we make, and there is nothing at all wrong about that.

Having said that, an ebike is different from a regular bike. Aerodynamic efficiency plays a part, especially above 20 mph. It is nowhere near the issue that it is with regular bikes. My wife rides a Pedego City Commuter. The handlebars are adjustable over a wide range. She likes an upright posture so that's how she has the handlebars set. We've never been on a 50 mile ride, but she can do 30 miles in perfect comfort, because she can adjust how much of the work the bike is doing for her. We usually cruise at ~20 mph.

I personally don't care for really wide handlebars, like you might see on a beach bomber, and neither does she. She rode a Pedego Interceptor for a week while they were doing some warranty work on her bike, and while it was OK, she was glad to get her own bike back. She finds the bars on the City Commuter to be a good compromise between beach cruiser bars and the flat bars I prefer.

All I'm saying is, don't narrow your choices too much if you haven't owned an ebike before. There's a reason why there are way fewer ebikes in road bike configuration; they're mostly not needed. Just ask @Chris Hammond, who does a 60 mile commute every day on a Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S. In Utah, with significant hills.

And oh yeah, BTW: KB1GRA, 73 from KS8L.

Hello -

I've been looking at electric bikes for several weeks and have hit something of a wall. I'd like a pretty high spec model because I ride a lot with my husband now, and am looking for something to help me keep up on longer rides without killing myself - but it seems that even with a big-ish budget, almost no bikes are available in a small enough frame size. I tried the Specialized Turbo Vado, but the S frame size requires a new stem and seat post and even then the top tube is still too long. In a "conventional" bike, I'd be a 14-15" frame, could do a 13.5 on a MTB style. The 16.5 step throughs that a lot of makers offer are too large. Standover height isn't the issue, it's reach.

I'm 5'1", 108lbs. I can spend up to $3500 on this. If I could get speed pedelec, that would be preferable. I also prefer integrated downtube battery for appearance, but I'm willing to punt on it and get one that is not integrated.

The shop is telling me the iZip E3 Dash step through would fit me - but it's totally out of stock in the size small. Pretty much the only other option that has available S or XS frames is Haibike, and this year they only have a lower spec women's model, the HardLife 2.0.

I only want to spend the money once and don't really want to get a lesser bike just because of frame size availability. It's still expensive so I'd still like it to be right.

Is there something I'm missing I should look at? I DO NOT want a cruiser style/missing top bar/city style bike with swept handlebars like the 24" Interceptor etc. I am going on 40-50 mile rides.

Hello kb1gra,

I spoke with my LBS regarding your e-bike size requirements and they feel they can help you. I've purchased 2 Trek e-Bikes from the shop so I know them well and speak very highly of them. Their website link is below. The have in stock or arriving very soon the Trek Verve Plus and other brands that may 'fit'. Trek does offer bikes in a 13.5" frame.

Good luck,
John from CT

https://www.bicycleseast.com/
https://electricbikereview.com/trek/verve-plus/

And oh yeah, BTW: KB1GRA, 73 from KS8L.

;) glad someone caught the significance.

.-. de WB1BVY

My username is not my current call, that was my very first call sign. I now have my dad's first call sign in his honor.

That said, to reply:

1. I do not want to equip my current bikes with an e-bike setup. They've been configured pretty specifically for some specific tasks/rides that we frequently take and I'd still like to "ride traditional" especially early in the season when my husband isn't quite so fit and I can keep up! I'd rather have a third than give up either my road bike or my hardtail mtb to electric.

2. My aversion to the cruiser style isn't actually that I particularly care, but I do think they are associated a bit with the idea that women can't ride real bikes and need a "lazy" bike - and obviously they don't fit in very well in a large group of road bikers in their spandex and me there on my beach cruiser. I agree that they're more comfortable and in fact I prefer to ride a "hybrid" eg flat bar road bike - but there's very few of this style that come small. I'm fine with not being able to flat foot on the ground at a stop, I can ride clipless all day long without issue.

Further to my issue is that ebikes are actually prohibited from bike paths here (and most mtb trails, as well) so the less it "looks like" an electric, the better off I am. Mid drive with integrated downtube battery would be worth the price to not get hassled so much.

I'm looking at the CrossCurrent S, the 16.5 step through might be OK with some tweaks. I was really hoping for some more options but it seems like Trek and Giant/Liv are some of the only makers going down that small, and unfortunately the Giant options are also limited at this point in the season.

@John from Connecticut I'm actually not far (relatively speaking) from your local shop, so I will swing by the store and talk to them.

Last edited:
;) glad someone caught the significance.

.-. de WB1BVY

My username is not my current call, that was my very first call sign. I now have my dad's first call sign in his honor.

That said, to reply:

1. I do not want to equip my current bikes with an e-bike setup. They've been configured pretty specifically for some specific tasks/rides that we frequently take and I'd still like to "ride traditional" especially early in the season when my husband isn't quite so fit and I can keep up! I'd rather have a third than give up either my road bike or my hardtail mtb to electric.

2. My aversion to the cruiser style isn't actually that I particularly care, but I do think they are associated a bit with the idea that women can't ride real bikes and need a "lazy" bike - and obviously they don't fit in very well in a large group of road bikers in their spandex and me there on my beach cruiser. I agree that they're more comfortable and in fact I prefer to ride a "hybrid" eg flat bar road bike - but there's very few of this style that come small. I'm fine with not being able to flat foot on the ground at a stop, I can ride clipless all day long without issue.

Further to my issue is that ebikes are actually prohibited from bike paths here (and most mtb trails, as well) so the less it "looks like" an electric, the better off I am. Mid drive with integrated downtube battery would be worth the price to not get hassled so much.

I'm looking at the CrossCurrent S, the 16.5 step through might be OK with some tweaks. I was really hoping for some more options but it seems like Trek and Giant/Liv are some of the only makers going down that small, and unfortunately the Giant options are also limited at this point in the season.

@John from Connecticut I'm actually not far (relatively speaking) from your local shop, so I will swing by the store and talk to them.

Hi WB1BVY aka KB1GRA :) I too recognized your KB1 Call sign prefix and knowing the geographical area it represents ( I'm a Broadcast Engineer) that's why I recommended my LBS. I can assure you the folks at the shop will not try a sell you 'something'. They will guide and share info. The owner Steve, is a highly accomplished bike fitter and did wonders for me 'matching' my Trek XM700+ commuter and my Trek
Powerfly 7 mtb....Don't hesitate to call them.

When you visit the bike shop you should 'jump' across the CT river and visit W1AW The ARRL HQ is 15 minutes from the bike shop.
http://www.arrl.org/visit-us

John from CT

I'd rather have a third than give up either my road bike or my hardtail mtb to electric.

Which is exactly why I suggested the ShareRoller. It's a quick mount/dismount solution that requires no permanent changes to the 'host' beyond attaching a small bracket to the headtube.. You could convert either bike between electric and traditional in 60 seconds.

Not trying to pressure you, just want to make sure I was being clear. Best of luck with your search!

I now have my dad's first call sign in his honor.
Fine business.

Your reasoning on your purchase seems really well-thought-out to me.

I've had my CrossCurrent S for 6 months/1500 miles. Other than swapping out the LCD display during the first week, I've had no problems. (The LCD kept zeroing the data. The new LCD was shipped the day after I filed a ticket. I've since come to believe that it was user error but they took care of me, no questions asked.) If you think it will suit you ergonomically, you won't get a better value for the money. Now that they seem to have their distribution problems sorted out (people were waiting a really long time earlier this year) I have no problems recommending it. There are some who have had problems of course, but a lot of happy riders also. @Reid @Chris Hammond @john peck among others.

Which is exactly why I suggested the ShareRoller.!

From what I understand, ShareRoller doesn't yet exist as a product anyone can actually buy, and the friction system might leave a lot to be desired in terms of a long-term riding experience.

I just bought the EProdigy Magic. Take a look at the Magic Pro. Its really nice and has a lot of features and a little secret, If you go to Real Good EBikes www.reallygoodebikes.com and sign up for their mailing list, you can get 5% off the purchase making this bike 2849.00

From what I understand, ShareRoller doesn't yet exist as a product anyone can actually buy, and the friction system might leave a lot to be desired in terms of a long-term riding experience.

Both good points. I'm planning to purchase one as soon as details and availability are announced; it's for my wife's Rivendell which she does not want to modify (but would definitely benefit from a 'helping hand').

Earlier test versions of the SR garnered many positive comments, but as with most mainstream articles about ebikes the comments are coming from people with no previous experience and cannot reflect long term experience. I'm hoping for a 30-day return window.

Back