Duo Classic 750w mid-drive vs Ultra 1000

southbound

Region
USA
Looking for a bike that would be used exclusively off road, for hunting and such. Some hills, but nothing too crazy. Probably nothing more than 40 miles in a weekend trip. I'm trying to understand if the Duo 750W ($2,299) would be all I needed, or if it makes sense to spend another $400 to get the Ultra 1000 ($2,699). Thoughts?

The Duo mid drive would work great. I have the ultra 1000 and run it almost exclusively in 750 W mode at the lowest setting (1) so I can stretch out the battery time. My first bike was a 750w hub motor that worked well for years of hunting and scouting. Although I could tow a trailer with it, I would have to help get it going by pedaling And at slower speeds can heat the motor up. The mid drive has the advantage of running the power through the gears so when in first gear, it will easily pull a loaded trailer. Plus in first gear you can ride slower for scouting. I think having two batteries is a great feature, I’m trying to figure out how to hook mine up like that. A1F55CD9-E86C-4924-BE70-A071893BF585.jpeg

Classic mid-drive runs the BBS02 which is a very efficient motor (so is the Ultra), but if you can get by without the torque sensor Ultra motor, it's a smart buy going with extra battery range on the Duo.

Since both motors can take advantage of gearing, you can pull quite a bit with either bike. But the Duo with two batteries will have more advantages, two full battery packs is amazing!

The Duo mid drive would work great. I have the ultra 1000 and run it almost exclusively in 750 W mode at the lowest setting (1) so I can stretch out the battery time. My first bike was a 750w hub motor that worked well for years of hunting and scouting. Although I could tow a trailer with it, I would have to help get it going by pedaling And at slower speeds can heat the motor up. The mid drive has the advantage of running the power through the gears so when in first gear, it will easily pull a loaded trailer. Plus in first gear you can ride slower for scouting. I think having two batteries is a great feature, I’m trying to figure out how to hook mine up like that.View attachment 80177
I'm torn. I'm definitely going with a mid-drive, I just don't know if I want to go with the 750w, or the 1000. With price being a factor, I like the idea of going with the Duo Classic 750w mid-drive, with the 17.5ah battery (standard), compared to the Ultra 1000 with 14.5ah battery. The difference in price is $400.

Well, it looks like they are phasing out the single battery Ultra 1000 in favor of the Ultra Duo 1000 - which sucks, because I had convinced myself to go with the Ultra 1000.
How would you compare the Ultra 1000 to the HD Duo 1000w? Any real difference in the motor performance?

What kind of range are you getting out of that setup?
I’m in Florida so it’s flat! When I ride on the road I put about 18-20#’s in the tires. I like to get some exercise while riding so I’m pedaling along pretty good and have got 41 miles running battery down to 20%. I run about six in rear and ten in front off road, if the woods are dry you can get 20 miles or more depending how you manage power If it’s soggy grass and water here and there, You can count on about 15 miles. I’m running 4.8” maxxis Minions and they aren’t for the road! I‘m sure they have a lot of rolling resistance. With the right tires on the road I bet you can go 50 miles or more.

I’m in Florida so it’s flat! When I ride on the road I put about 18-20#’s in the tires. I like to get some exercise while riding so I’m pedaling along pretty good and have got 41 miles running battery down to 20%. I run about six in rear and ten in front off road, if the woods are dry you can get 20 miles or more depending how you manage power If it’s soggy grass and water here and there, You can count on about 15 miles. I’m running 4.8” maxxis Minions and they aren’t for the road! I‘m sure they have a lot of rolling resistance. With the right tires on the road I bet you can go 50 miles or more.
Thanks. My use will be much like yours. Mostly pedaling during turkey season with low PAS and then higher PAS with some throttle, for deer hunting.

me too great thead i been looking at the two bikes also do i want mid drive or hub drive , my concern is the hub drive motor a good motor ,is my main concern ,and that it love the step thru ,i have a ultra juggernaut 1000 mid drive now .just looking for another easy to get on bike

I have the HD Duo. From what I gather this bike is no longer available. I wasn't sure I would be happy with the HD over the Ultra but after about 5 months now I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. The power is basically the same. The BBSHD is known to be quieter than the Ultra and the cadence vs torque sensor thing doesn't really matter in my case because I've never ridden a torque sensor motor before. It does exactly what I want it to except hit those mid 30 mph numbers a lot of people claim to get. Best I have gotten was 31mph and it was probably slightly downhill if I want to be really honest. And as far as range, it's 32ah total capacity. It's a lot. More than I would ever have time to do in one day.

Back