Dual Sport+ out of stock

former great

I have had a hard time finding a Dual Sport+ in my area (San Francisco Bay) and a couple of dealers told me they couldn't even order one. I called Trek to see if I could get an explanation. Apparently the 2019's are all sold and there won't be more. That seemed to imply that the 2020 models will be coming a long time before 2020. They couldn't say anything about future models, of course, but did say that they announce new models throughout the year.

Any given year of new bikes usually come out about 6 months prior to the calendar year. So yeah, mid-2019 maybe. Shame there seems to be a dead zone where you can't get the old bike or new bike :(

I guess there is no way to predict and I should be shopping other models. This model was announced in the early fall of 2018, I think, as a 2019. I've not seen any published references prior to October. Less than five months later, the production run is over. The bicycle business is hard to understand. So many models, so many links in the chain. Oops. Pun unintended.

FYI: I was asking my LBS whether the Dual Sport+ was worth spending the extra 1K or so, upgrading to it over the Verve+ (I'm in the market to buy my first ebike). He told me that the Dual Sport wasn't selling for them. In fact, "Trek is cancelling it for 2020." That's all I know.

Unfortunately, dealer info like this is often pretty worthless. Ask them about a bike they don’t have and can’t get. They usually tell you something like this. If it is a bike they have, the story is different.

I moved on to other makers and tried a lot of bikes before settling on Riese and Müller. I ended up way upmarket, but I sure do love the bike. Only you can decide what is worth what. Read the reviews to learn, but don’t rely on others to judge value for you.

I have had a hard time finding a Dual Sport+ in my area (San Francisco Bay) and a couple of dealers told me they couldn't even order one. I called Trek to see if I could get an explanation. Apparently the 2019's are all sold and there won't be more. That seemed to imply that the 2020 models will be coming a long time before 2020. They couldn't say anything about future models, of course, but did say that they announce new models throughout the year.

This is really interesting what exactly is appealing about that model? I am asking this because I am interested in why people go for a very overpriced model like that.

Again DS+ is a waay overpriced model for what it brings. Low tier active line motor, mediocre components and a very cheap ($80) coil fork. This bicycle is the equivalent or less of the cheapest haibike offerings (cross/trekking) which was offered for $2K and goes down below 1800 when they are on sale.

For much less than $3.6K there are far better offerings around. Take this for example SduroCross which has better components all around , simply a much better bike and it is almost 1.5K less. Or this XduroTrekkingS which comes with the Bosch speed motor(again significantly more expensive than the active line), much better components for less, they are not even close.

Again Raleigh Tokul (lore if you can find it) Tokul , for 2.5K you get lots of tire clearance and wide tires (you want wide tires with ebikes, they are simply superior in handling and absorbing vibration for comfortable ride) , you get Bosch CX instead of active line which is the best Bosch offers for now and a good front fork (just the fork itself is $350+) which makes a significant difference on country roads (even in the city where there are cracks). In short once again a far far better bike for 1K less.

For your question on how much is DS worth. Imo DS is not worth anthing over 2K and even at that price you may find something better. That being said it simply has a different geometry than Verve. Verve is built for a very upright relaxed geometry which would be good for 20mph speeds and a relax ride. If you like that kind of a ride then it should be a nice offering. , DS is more like their Fx line which is a hybrid fitness bike.

And no DS is not worth anything over Verve(it comes with 500wh over 400wh but that is not really a significant difference). DS and Verve are bikes for different riding styles.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, dealer info like this is often pretty worthless. Ask them about a bike they don’t have and can’t get. They usually tell you something like this. If it is a bike they have, the story is different.

I moved on to other makers and tried a lot of bikes before settling on Riese and Müller. I ended up way upmarket, but I sure do love the bike. Only you can decide what is worth what. Read the reviews to learn, but don’t rely on others to judge value for you.

So true!
We all have different criteria and not listen to nay sayers.

I noticed on the Trek website that they are now listing the Dual Sport+ as a 2020 model. They still seem to be out of stock and I cannot see any differences from the 2019 model.

What evidence do you have of this ?

Trek dealer here in Chicago area, confirmed the Dual Sport + is being discontinued.

Back