Dropper Seatpost

draver

Does anyone use a dropper seatpost for their bike? I'm considering one and would like to hear any feedback or recommendations from current or former users. The two types I have seen are a cable operated from a handlebar mounted lever, and the the simpler, less expensive lever mounted at the top of the seat post. I think the basic 100mm of travel should be adequate, but what does the hive think?

Well, I received a dropper post recently and installed it yesterday. I haven't done any lengthy rides yet, but just experimenting with it, it's a game changer for me. The device overcomes one of my biggest issues while riding around town. Either the seat is too low for decent pedal assist, or too high for stability while stopped, with a high center of gravity while on your tiptoes.

The kit I bought came with two complete style of levers and the required cable. Not too pricey at $110 inc. free shipping and no additional parts required. I mounted the lever on my left bar under my phone mount and is very accessible to my thumb. I can now just swing my leg over the seat to mount my bike, then flick the lever when in motion to raise it to a decent leg extension for pedaling. Press it while seated and stopping and it drops down again.

Forte Dropper Post

I'm in my 70's, but fairly fit and flexible at about 6' & 160lbs and this addresses my last nagging issue with my Lectric XP rides. I'll try and get some pics today to try and illustrate the difference in riding positions, but the dropper travel for this model is 125mm, or just slightly under 5". Maybe use a tape measure to see how much difference that could make on your bike and riding comfort.

Seated with post fully dropped.
1598216610171.jpeg

Seated with post fully extended

Post 2.jpg

Lever under my phone cradle, it looks like a sideways golf club.
1598216709507.jpeg

Attachments

• 1598216592556.jpeg
    1598216592556.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Nice! Let us know how you find it.
I haven’t tried one yet, but I read you can get more aero when you max out downhill speeds!

I suppose, but most downhills I encounter I end up riding the brakes to keep my speed below 25mph, LOL.

After my first purchase from Nashbar's website they sent me an email with a few coupons for future purchases. I used one for $10 off a purchase of over $100 to buy another Forte dropper for my wifes' Lectric XP @ $99.99 total. So if you have two bikes in the family, or a friend who is also interested, maybe contact them about just getting the discount up front.

I folded up my XP and stowed it in my SUV yesterday and as I expected, there were no issues with the dropper or cabling when unfolded. I have the cable zip tied at 3 spots to the exposed cable bundle under the battery crossmember. For non XP riders, there is no internal cabling due to the folding nature of the bike.

I rode to the market for some groceries and got to talking to another old guy out front about ebikes in general. He told me he has had a hip replacement and was going to be looking for a stepthrough model to replace his current ebike. I dropped my post and offered for him to try it out. He was easily able to throw his leg over the saddle and seemed to be very interested in converting his post to a dropper also. This is just another facet of the serviceability of droppers besides the low center of gravity and low speed stability I enjoy.

Can this be used to set seat height and lower the seat when getting on ? I have a bad hip and find it hard to get my leg over with my seat in riding position .

I have a dropper post on all of my off-road EMTBs... they are essential for descending and I would not ride without them.

Can this be used to set seat height and lower the seat when getting on ? I have a bad hip and find it hard to get my leg over with my seat in riding position .

absolutely. That’s one reason I installed one. Look at the pics and remember that you can still adjust the dropper up or down to suit your needs.

Last edited:
For a HT eMTB the conundrum is suspension post or dropper post. I am having hip and lower back issues right now so the comfort of the suspension post is somewhat countered by the need to lean the bike over to get on as I'm struggling to get the leg over, especially when doing pathways with my beam rack and trunk bag.

I am considering getting an externally wired dropper, which I could interchange for the days I'm doing more difficult trail and downhills, or don't need all stuff I lug around in the trunk bag (locks etc for urban riding with stops that require a more robust lockup).

Someone needs to make a dropper for us older ebike folks that includes suspension built in. I took off my suspension post to install the dropper, and would gladly buy or add one that had both features. I prefer the dropper of the two devices though.

I’m now wondering if I can add a suspension component to the top of my dropper easily.

I ride a small frame Giant Fathom, and there's limited space. It's going to have to be an integrated solution or I wouldn't be able to get the required drop to be worth the effort.

I suspect my plan of having a 2 saddle assembly setup will probably meet my needs for now. I think I'll have until next April to decide.

I refuse discussing "Bafang", "a folder", "a throttle" on religious grounds :D

I agree... here's a thread for you! ;)

Last edited:

Here you go!

Back