Dropped chain on Trek Verve+

I have a Verve+3 and lost my chain off the front a week ago. I was playing around with the range numbers and had just kicked up on turbo and did a hard up shift. It took a couple minutes but got it back on. One problem with a chain guard it’s a little hard to get in there and get the chain in.
I had the same bike and same problem. Happens most on a downshift. Found it easiest to get chain back on from the underside. A spring hook is the best tool. Trek has a free recall fix. Most stores and dealers have the parts in stock.

I bought a Trek Verve+2 about 5 months ago. Ever since, I've put about 800 miles on it. My chain comes off once every 3 or 4 rides. When it comes off it's hard to get back on because of the style of chain guard they use.

The trek bike store I bought the bike from told me to return it after 40 hours of riding for a tune up. When I took it back for the tune up, I told them about the issue where the chain keeps popping off the front gear. So a week later, they tell me my bike is done, and that I owe them $25 because the chain was stretched out. On the second ride after the new chain, and the chain slips off. I could take it back to my local trek bike shop, but all they're going to do is make me waste another $25 for another new chain.

So I have decided to just take matters into my own hands. I'm just trying to get off the chain guard so that when the chain does pop off, I can get it back on easily.

1.jpg
I managed to get the chain guard off the crank, but I can't figure out how to get off the pedals.
3.jpg
I tried loosening the allen key bolt at the back of the pedal, but its on so tight I couldn't get enough leverage.

2.jpg
There is also a hex bolt on the pedal side of the crank.

How do I get this pedal off?

I bought a Trek Verve+2 about 5 months ago. Ever since, I've put about 800 miles on it. My chain comes off once every 3 or 4 rides. When it comes off it's hard to get back on because of the style of chain guard they use.

The trek bike store I bought the bike from told me to return it after 40 hours of riding for a tune up. When I took it back for the tune up, I told them about the issue where the chain keeps popping off the front gear. So a week later, they tell me my bike is done, and that I owe them $25 because the chain was stretched out. On the second ride after the new chain, and the chain slips off. I could take it back to my local trek bike shop, but all they're going to do is make me waste another $25 for another new chain.

So I have decided to just take matters into my own hands. I'm just trying to get off the chain guard so that when the chain does pop off, I can get it back on easily.

View attachment 117886
I managed to get the chain guard off the crank, but I can't figure out how to get off the pedals.
View attachment 117888
I tried loosening the allen key bolt at the back of the pedal, but its on so tight I couldn't get enough leverage.

View attachment 117887
There is also a hex bolt on the pedal side of the crank.

How do I get this pedal off?
The allen key is the best assuming that you have it in a 3/8-drive socket -- not an L-shaped hand tool -- and can put a breaker bar on it. Also, be careful about which direction you turn it. The right side has standard right-hand threads, but when loosening it as viewed from the backside of the crank arm, you turn it clockwise (counter-clockwise as viewed from the pedal side).

This is a known problem for which Trek offered a free modification kit. It applies to all Verve+ models. I am surprised your Trek technician did not know this. It came came out about 2 years ago so they may need to look it up.

Also, don’t remove the chain guard. It is quite easy to access and re-install the chain onto the bottom of the front sprocket. Just greasy — carry disposable gloves until you get back to your dealer.

Unless I’m mistaken the pedal on one side of the bike is left hand thread and the other side is right hand. Which is which I don’t know.

The allen key is the best assuming that you have it in a 3/8-drive socket -- not an L-shaped hand tool -- and can put a breaker bar on it. Also, be careful about which direction you turn it. The right side has standard right-hand threads, but when loosening it as viewed from the backside of the crank arm, you turn it clockwise (counter-clockwise as viewed from the pedal side).
All I have is a small handheld hex multitool, not the long armed hex tools that you're supposed to use when removing pedals. I'm putting all my weight, but can't get enough leverage to make the pedal budge. I can feel the plastic in the multitool itself bend as I put my weight on it.

Also, I don't think this issue of the chain popping off is "known" by Trek. As far as I can tell, there is no official blog post or anything like anywhere published by Trek that officially acknowledges this issue. So far the people saying this are just assuming such an official message has been made, but as far as I know, it has not. If such a thing did exist, it would be great because I could show it to my local bike shop and it would help me feel like I'm not wasting my time and money.

The trek shops that "know" about this issue are the ones who sell lots of Verve+2's because their many customers report this issue often. The ones that sell very few (like mine, apparently) just have you pay for a new chain, and then have you go on your way.

Last edited:
All I have is a small handheld hex multitool, not the long armed hex tools that you're supposed to use when removing pedals. I'm putting all my weight, but can't get enough leverage to make the pedal budge. I can feel the plastic in the multitool itself bend as I put my weight on it.

Also, I don't think this issue of the chain popping off is "known" by Trek. As far as I can tell, there is no official blog post or anything like anywhere published by Trek that officially acknowledges this issue. So far the people saying this are just assuming such an official message has been made, but as far as I know, it has not. If such a thing did exist, it would be great because I could show it to my local bike shop and it would help me feel like I'm not wasting my time and money.

The trek shops that "know" about this issue are the ones who sell lots of Verve+2's because their many customers report this issue often. The ones that sell very few (like mine, apparently) just have you pay for a new chain, and then have you go on your way.
Call Trek’s tech support for more info on the dropped chain fix: 800-585-8735. They are very helpful.

Best to use a proper pedal spanner for removing tight pedals. There are numerous websites/videos on which direction they undo, including https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal

But no need to do them up too tight, so don’t use the big pedal spanner for that.
I've found that many (most) current bikes have pedals that can be removed by a hex key from the back side of the crank arm. In fact, the ones on my current bike don't even have the flats on the pedal side that a pedal wrench/spanner can be used on. Also, using a regular hex socket makes it easy to use a good sized "breaker bar" to get the necessary leverage.

Back