Don't have a charger

Jaci Caldwell

I have never been able to use my wheel. The charger could not be connected. I finally got them to send me a new charger. Then the wheel would not charge. I sent it and the charger back to have it checked and when they returned it, they did not return my charger. I can't get a response from them. I've spent over $1000 so far for absolutely nothing but a lot of frustration. To order a replacement will cost me another $250, so I just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Update 8/9/17 - Sorry for the delay in responding. It's a FlyKly, and they have not been any help. I still have the old charger with a damaged connector. I've ordered a few new 6 pin connectors to see if that will work on this and will update when I have given it a try. I'll have to find someone to replace it for me, but thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried to put it out of my head because it causes such frustration.

Last edited:
I have never been able to use my wheel. The charger could not be connected. I finally got them to send me a new charger. Then the wheel would not charge. I sent it and the charger back to have it checked and when they returned it, they did not return my charger. I can't get a response from them. I've spent over $1000 so far for absolutely nothing but a lot of frustration. To order a replacement will cost me another $250, so I just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What brand of "wheel"? I'm guessing from other's posts, you refer to FlyKly? If so, try posting in the FlyKly forum to alert other owners of the product.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/flykly/

That's a really expensive charger! I wish you luck.

@Jaci Caldwell, please do share a few details of the product; J.R.'s right and we would like to help you. Have you checked with any of the local ebike shops for help? They may not be able to sell you a less expensive charger but they may be able to provide other technical advice.

If it's a Flykly Smartwheel, there was an issue with their chargers. They sent them with Euro plugs instead of USA. They told us they didn't have USA plugs! We were pretty angry until we found we could swap our Pedego power cord into their charger. I suppose we could've just picked up an adapter.

Still, we weren't happy with their customer service. They didn't offer us a new charger or new cord. During the original Kickstarter campaign or maybe just after, we met the founder (and his mom!), and he was a good guy. He was bought out, and I guess the new owners didn't care as much about the project.

$250 for a basic charger is crazy! $100 would be too much. Here's a photo of the Smartwheel charger, showing its specs, and the non-USA plug. (I think this is my first time uploading here. Hope it works!)

Attachments

• IMG_5889.JPG
    IMG_5889.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,604
Weird! A 33V battery. 24V typically 7S, 36V typically 10S. I've certain if you can find an 8s charger you could recycle the connecter to another charger. For that price you can almost have a Satiator charger which can do SLA, Lithium, and a ful range of batteries. I charge 12v, 24v, 36v, 48v and 52v all on one charger for just under $300.

That's really an unfortunate design and even bordering on taking advantage of customers.

That's a $15 charger if you reused the battery connector. The output o this one is higher but there are 2A available too. And the price goes up to $18!!!

WOW!
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 7.02.26 PM.png

From what I can remember, FlyKly owners were having problems with the plug that attaches to the wheel. Apparently the plug FlyKly uses is easily damaged from normal use.

I've done very well finding even the most obscure things by image searching. Electronic components can be of that obscure type. Hopefully Jaci will chime in, to let us know what's up. Pictures of the problem components would help.

Last edited:
I put my phone's QR App on the label in your picture, and it directed me to some links for 8S Turnigy balance chargers at HobbyKing.com. Those Turnigy units weren't anything like the one in the photo.

I used to work with CE/UL standards many years ago, and those two groups were strict on label accuracy. Perhaps I can't shoot a QR code off a photo shown on a PC monitor. Maybe it glitched.

Maybe JohnT could do it on a real label.

China is on holiday until the 2nd of February, eBay protection as well as PayPal.
Estimated delivery between Wed. Feb. 8 and Wed. Mar. 1

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The charger in JohnT's photo appears to have six or seven pins though. That ebay unit is only two.

The charger in JohnT's photo appears to have six or seven pins though. That ebay unit is only two.
Simple, just use the old connector and add to the new. There are only two wires. If you wire just as it is it'll be fine.
I have five pin chargers I converted. The battery only has positive and negative.

I should have qualified that, some OEM's dis proprietary chargers and battery setups, this one seems not to be. But I will say basic wire connections and soldering skills are important to the DIY as well as those wanting independence in repairs. These are not highly technical projects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inside info, Tom. So it's just a $20 charger dolled up to look expensive.

I'm not absolutely certain but with a soldering Orin and some shrink tubing, I'm unafraid to cut a wire in a spot with lots of length on either side to see what's up. I've seen several chargers and batteries where that's the case. I always spend a bit of time on Google searching the brand and model. Often times somone has been there before us and has posted some information.

I put my phone's QR App on the label in your picture, and it directed me to some links for 8S Turnigy balance chargers at HobbyKing.com. Those Turnigy units weren't anything like the one in the photo.

I used to work with CE/UL standards many years ago, and those two groups were strict on label accuracy. Maybe JohnT could do it on a real label.

I used to work with CE/UL standards many years ago, and those two groups were strict on label accuracy. Perhaps I can't shoot a QR code off a photo shown on a PC monitor. Maybe it glitched.

Maybe JohnT could do it on a real label.
I haven't used my phone's QR reader in years and might have done something wrong, but all I get is text which reads "8S CHARGER ID1100008".

Almost all the chargers will work, as long as it matches your battery type.
I usually just go on eBay and buy a cheap China charger.
Just have to match the + and -
Note: the only problem and even with OEM chargers is they get really hot, kind of smells like something is burning, and if you feel the charger it feels like you can cook on it.

@rmasa, I disagree with you; no charger should get 'so hot that you can cook on it'. You really need to see the UL (Underwriters Lab mark) certification, not the Chinese CE. The CE chargers are some that have been implicated with the fires charging the self balancing scooters. Yes, you can create the correct end on the charger and not be paying $200 but you still need to buy a quality charger. This also does not address the issue that the major problem on the Flykly motors is the too delicate charging port.

Guess I fell off topic a bit.
Might want to soldier a couple of pins at a 90 angle on one half of an RC high amp quick disconnect. Then just zip tie the connector to the bike. Soldier the other half to a generic charger? Of course you will have to find some pins that fit (IC shop) or something you find in the garage.
At least this keeps the charger under $20

Either way, all the cheap chargers (and my OEM) gets really hot, so I always attach a fan to the chargers to keep them cool (and punch a few holes in the case).
Pic is the one I keep in my work truck
Its good to have a charger everywhere you might be with your bike for a top off

Attachments

• IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 473
@rmasa, I disagree with you; no charger should get 'so hot that you can cook on it'. You really need to see the UL (Underwriters Lab mark) certification, not the Chinese CE. The CE chargers are some that have been implicated with the fires charging the self balancing scooters. Yes, you can create the correct end on the charger and not be paying $200 but you still need to buy a quality charger. This also does not address the issue that the major problem on the Flykly motors is the too delicate charging port.
Spot on! I actually spent more than the Flykly charger for mine. I made adapters for the various batteries I have. The Cycle Satiator may be one of the best and most versatile chargers out there. The ability to choose charge level, amperage, and multiple voltages makes it quite useful.

I spent a few minutes searching, simply, 5 pin connector.

I've found a number of difficult solutions this way. I thought that Flykly would have had a connector made rather they would have used an off the shelf product. I was stunned to se how they choose to charge. But I suspect a well versed shop or an avid hobbiest could sort a repair. I didn't look for a repair solution, but they do show up...

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mic-plugsconnectors/6-pin-in-line-mic-socket.html

Last edited:
Back