dolphin headlight mount to front basket

RickBlauw

I couldn't find a good way to mount the headlight to the dolphin with the front basket.
Finally had a few minutes to design and 3D print a simple mount to fit over the front. Rev0 below in white. Clips over the rack rail and uses some double sided foam tape. Will print one in black to better match.

tempImage4FRESL.jpg

Sweet. There may be sufficient length in the headlight harness to mount this on the front of the basket (remove the controller cover and pull out any extra length hiding in there). Did you use ABS, PETG, or PLA for this? Please feel free to load up the *.stl to Thingaverse if you're feeling charitable!

Oh-- thanks for the tip. I didn't see any other pics of owners with the light mounted on the front of the basket. I had my light zip-tied in about the same place as the picture and thought with all this spare time on my hands I should use it "wisely" and come up with a better mount. I printed Rev 0 up in some PLA just to play with the model- this one has plenty of room for refinement. Was planning on adding a quick connect clasp. Will certainly share it on thingiverse for those that are interested.-- will post the link here shortly.

link to thingiverse-- again this a rev0 model- functional but something quick and dirty to start.

I found not all UPS locations have the machines, or are even aware that there are other UPS locations offering the 3D print service. I needed to print a weird part a few weeks ago, and I determined it was cheaper to buy a 3D printer than quote middlemen's time to setup and print the simple *.gcode recipe. It gets more complicated if there is sensitive intellectual property, or patents in the design that need to be safeguarded; or if you needed 1000 copies by tomorrow. Just like with Betamaxes, prices have come down a lot. Anyone can buy a small but capable multi-filament 3D printer for $150-200 on Amazon.

I bought a 3D printer because I own an older vehicle that is hard to find some plastic parts and when if you can find them-- they are really expensive. The printer has already paid for itself.

If someone really wants to have have/try one of these first rev mounts-- I'll print a few up and mail them.

I found not all UPS locations have the machines, or are even aware that there are other UPS locations offering the 3D print service. I needed to print a weird part a few weeks ago, and I determined it was cheaper to buy a 3D printer than quote middlemen's time to setup and print the simple *.gcode recipe. It gets more complicated if there is sensitive intellectual property, or patents in the design that need to be safeguarded; or if you needed 1000 copies by tomorrow. Just like with Betamaxes, prices have come down a lot. Anyone can buy a small but capable multi-filament cosplay printer at printerhow.
Mutli-material, however, in my view, is a gimmick in its current state. It is cool to use a dissolvable support material, but the material is costly, and modern slicers have gotten pretty good at producing support that comes off quickly, worst case it takes a little sanding. It's very lackluster to print in multiple colors because you're limited to a maximum of 5 colors (as I highly doubt you could mix an MMU with a Pallette, particularly because Pallette's software is closed-source), you have to waste a Lot of filament on a wipe tower, and there's really no software help. It's better to print it in a solid color if you want a print to be colored, than to paint it.

Last edited:
@Mehwish from my novice perspective, multi-material seems to be for those itching for a nozzle jam, and a failed print job. In fact, I have a horrendous ABS nozzle jam to clear right now from mixing filaments without a wipe tower. Going forward I am going to just set it and forget it with PLA or PETG. Keep it simple. Thankfully, @RickBlauw's file on Thingaverse is what we used to call a "shift-F7". Welcome to EBR!

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.08.06 AM.png

Last edited:
I have mounted both of our dolphins with the headlight on the front. There are no problems doing this. The original wiring is long enough to go under the basket. They have been there for over a year and we have ridden hundreds and hundreds of miles. If you are riding at dusk or night with the headlight in the back of the basket good luck trying to see especially with anything in the basket. My opinion.

Back