Does anyone have advice on replacing the wheels on a Luna X1 with carbon wheels? I've seen comments on wheels with either 40 or 50 mm outside width.

Brookbiker

Region
USA
City
Brookings, OR
Forum members have suggested that replacing the heavy wheelset on a Luna X1 with a carbon set is an easy way to drop the weight by almost 5 lbs. Being a newbie, I need advice on the wheel width of a replacement set of carbon wheels. Wheel sales descriptions claim that one can install a 2.8" tire on a 50mm rim, this seems like it would push the limit somewhat. Forum members have suggested that the wider rims provide a very nice tire profile for grip and bite on the trail. I'm not worried about bad things happening while flying around a corner because my ability and age limit my trail speed. There's some very attractive deals on wheels out there, including Dengfu, the maker of the frame for the X1. Any carbon wheel manufacturers that I should be cautious about?

Welcome to EBR. First, you should measure the inside width of the rim to determine the range of tire sizes that will fit correctly.
Based on a rim width of 40 mm with the Schwalbe chart, you should be fine with a tire width range of 55 - 100 mm (2.2- 4.0")
Regarding Carbon Rims, they will be expensive, but I would recommend going with an established wheel manufacturer.

Roval Traverse SL 27.5in Carbon Boost Wheelset | Competitive Cyclist
X1 Enduro EBIKE - Luna Cycle

1609816723053.png

Last edited:
I just mounted a set of Yoeleo mountain bike carbon wheels on my Cannondale Lefty 3.
Here's a link to a set of wheels with a rim width of 50mm. The set I ordered were 30mm wide. I did a fair amount of research on Yoeleo wheels and from what I can tell their quality is very good. That being said, only time will tell if my Chinese made wheels hold up.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/products...ookless-tubeless-ready?variant=32845789233238

Here's a photo of my wheels mounted to my ebike.

ADtD8gT.jpg

Welcome to EBR. First, you should measure the inside width of the rim to determine the range of tire sizes that will fit correctly.
Based on a rim width of 40 mm with the Schwalbe chart, you should be fine with a tire width range of 55 - 100 mm (2.2- 4.0")
Regarding Carbon Rims, they will be expensive, but I would recommend going with an established wheel manufacturer.

Roval Traverse SL 27.5in Carbon Boost Wheelset | Competitive Cyclist
X1 Enduro EBIKE - Luna Cycle

View attachment 76008
Thanks, that's a wide range of tire options for a 40mm rim. Received the bike yesterday and it has 40mm rims, there big. I don't see any reason to go bigger, especially if the goal is to reduce weight.

I just mounted a set of Yoeleo mountain bike carbon wheels on my Cannondale Lefty 3.
Here's a link to a set of wheels with a rim width of 50mm. The set I ordered were 30mm wide. I did a fair amount of research on Yoeleo wheels and from what I can tell their quality is very good. That being said, only time will tell if my Chinese made wheels hold up.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/products...ookless-tubeless-ready?variant=32845789233238

Here's a photo of my wheels mounted to my ebike.

ADtD8gT.jpg
Thanks for the tip, your bike is beautiful.

Thanks, that's a wide range of tire options for a 40mm rim. Received the bike yesterday and it has 40mm rims, there big.
I don't see any reason to go bigger, especially if the goal is to reduce weight.
Glad to help. If you want to save some additional weight, you can go down to 2.2" tires on those 40mm rims. ;)

As much to say hey from the north coast as to say that those i40 rims will run a wide range of tires as mentioned. I have i35 Chibon rims on my eMTB that I use a 700c 2.3 on the front and a 2.8/2.5 (during mud season) @ 15psi.

Just spend some time dialing in your psi and you should get all the traction you need, tire dependent of course.

Back