Does anybody use their throttle?

totalnovice

The RR is my first e-bike and I've been riding it since late summer and frankly, I never use the throttle. With the PAS, I feel like I have complete control using my feet. I'm actually thinking about removing the throttle so I can put a fill size grip on instead. Do people use the throttle?

Do people use the throttle
Some do, I don't. I have converted four bikes (without adding a throttle) and purchased two that have throttles. I used the throttle once on my Carbon, and said to myself; that's useless. I can certainly understand why some people may want a throttle, but for myself, it's wasted handle bar space.

Court J.

I wouldn't use my RR without the throttle! PAS might be all you need for road riding, but 90% of my rides thus far have been on trails with some moderate climbs. I find that PAS Level 1 is fine for off-road, but Level 2 is far too powerful IMO (a BIG jump up from Level 1), plus it keeps propelling the bike for a second or two after I stop pedaling. This caused my first wipeout on a bike in years so I've only used Level 1 since... I use the throttle on-demand for steeper climbs - I find it far more controllable and SAFE.

Do you ride off-road in hilly terrain much, or plan to maybe someday? If so, I think you'll find that you miss the throttle...

Throttle is all I have had on two ebikes. It's an infinitely variable pedal assist. Using it is sort of like playing a very basic musical instrument. You have to get to where you don't think about it. You just adjust it as you ride and pedal. About 5% of the time I just use the throttle and ride like a moped, no pedaling. I like being able to do that, when I want to, but I definitely think throttle is a pedal assist.

The RR is my first e-bike and I've been riding it since late summer and frankly, I never use the throttle. With the PAS, I feel like I have complete control using my feet. I'm actually thinking about removing the throttle so I can put a fill size grip on instead. Do people use the throttle?
I've found the throttle helpful mostly only when trail riding. Usually use pedal assist 1 when riding off road and use the throttle for a little extra umph when needed.

To gain an extra 2.5 hours of sleep every week, I throttle all the way into work (4.5 miles) so that I don't have to shower and change into dress clothes. I change into something more casual for the PAS-powered ride back.

PAS 99.9% of the time but I mostly ride trails and rural roads. The few times that I've been in traffic, I found the throttle useful to get me moving at intersections while I keep my eyes peeled for traffic.

The throttle on the Specialized Turbo only works to 12 mph and is not easy to use in any case. I have never used it other than to spin the wheel on the work stand. This bike works so well in PAS mode that the throttle is just superfluous.

I frequently have both on at the same time. PAS 1 for cruising and throttle for slow tight turning or starting from stopped. I find PAS doesn't provide adequate fine speed control for delicate maneuvers. :)

Mark -

i love using the throttle. i would tend to under power the pas to keep me peddling a bit harder and when i need just a bit more juice i throttle a bit for an extra push when i need. and when i get super hot i throttle for a longer stretch and let the wind cool me down.
love it!

I use the throttle when PAS 1 isn't enough and PAS 2 is too much. It happens more than I thought it would.

Recently I've been riding while my 87 year old Mother walks her dog. We go for about a mile and a half, and at a slow dog sniffing speed. I use throttle and low gear pedaling exclusively because we're going so slowly. My back won't allow me to walk that far, but I can still participate with the bike. I go ahead a little and then loop back, stop occasionally and ride slowly with them. Throttle is perfect for this activity... :)

The throttle is great for busy intersections, especially when, like me, your route has a part with a bunch of desynchronised lights.

On the RadWagon, I use the throttle on downhill stretches to keep the regen from kicking in and slowing the bike. If you are going too fast to pedal its either that or "token" pedaling. Also on those downhill runs where you DO want the regen, it seems seems to kick out after a time and you have to turn the throttle on and off to make it start up again. I also use throttle to start across intersections, especially when I am in the left turn lane with cars behind me.

Back