Do you/would you prefer the throttle on the right side?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Quick note-
I was wondering about this after ordering a new RX Pro. Today, while setting up the new bike, I found it pretty easy to swap the bell and the throttle. Positioned between the brake and shifter, it takes some careful positioning of all 3 (brake, throttle, shifter) but it can be done.

Everything I've ever owned (snowmobiles, motor cycles, mini bikes, ATV's) going WAY back has always had the throttle on the right. I have no idea where the idea of a left hand throttle came form, but I knew it was NOT going to be that way on my bike. -Al

I prefer a thumb throttle on the right. I have one bike with it on the right, and one with it on the left. Truth is I've adapted to both, but when switching bikes, by brain does not always switch right away, and reflex actions such as starting from a stop with throttle often fail as my brain goes for the wrong throttle. I also prefer my brakes setup as per a motorcycle. It would take some work too switch the one bike, because of the shifter and handlebar type, so I leave it. Maybe my next test bike won't have a throttle, in the end I will get a throttle on the right I hope for my dream bike.

I think it came from many bikes having at least 7 speeds and that shifter is usually on the right.

Since the PAS control is usually on the left, the throttle would also go there?

Always on the right for me. It's a bit of a reach but I primarily use it for starting out. I only use thumb throttles btw.

I prefer a thumb throttle on the right. I have one bike with it on the right, and one with it on the left. Truth is I've adapted to both, but when switching bikes, by brain does not always switch right away, and reflex actions such as starting from a stop with throttle often fail as my brain goes for the wrong throttle. I also prefer my brakes setup as per a motorcycle. It would take some work too switch the one bike, because of the shifter and handlebar type, so I leave it. Maybe my next test bike won't have a throttle, in the end I will get a throttle on the right I hope for my dream bike.

Yup, I knew it might be a battle, but was prepared to do whatever it took to achieve the RH throttle, even if it meant replacing the shifter with a different style. In the end though, took about half an hour to get everything arranged just right so all are fully functional. -Al

I came from riding ATV's, thought it would be weird on the left.
you get used to it pretty quick, not an issue after a ride or 2.

Most of my ebikes are left side trigger throttles, but I have a bike with a right side trigger and one with a twist throttle. It's a matter of what came with the kit, and I can get used to whatever after a little bit of riding.

One thing I do insist on is front brakes on left lever, and rear brakes on right lever. When I was riding motorcycles from age 18-23, I changed my bike to the motorcycle standard at the time, which is right lever for front brake (is it still like that?) but now I follow the bike standard. Of course, not all bike makers do so. Some ebikes are right lever for front brake.

Every motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile & jet ski I've ridden had the throttle on the right. It seems to be something of a standard to which I've become accustomed. I see no reason to change it on my e-bike.

Every motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile & jet ski I've ridden had the throttle on the right. It seems to be something of a standard to which I've become accustomed. I see no reason to change it on my e-bike.
Exactly! Been riding power toys with RH throttles for 60 years or so. Started with my first mini bike when I was 10. When it's SO easily changed to something burnt into muscle memory with a history like that, I am going to do what I can to make it right (no pun intended!) - for me!

My throttle used for starting as well, with just occasional brief use to catch up with a riding partner or crest a little rise. Noteworthy maybe, is that with the torque sensing and power of this new bike, throttle uses is pretty much about startup only any more....

Will edit with a "dashboard" picture a little later. -Al

Dashboard pics-
As as can be seen, it would be nice if the "up" shift arm were a little longer, but in practice it's not bad at all. I'm finding it without looking pretty easy already.

For those just starting in e-bikes, this RH side is going to be pretty busy for you at first. Just consider you are not going to be using all controls at once. Worst case, you'll be on the brake and DOWN shifting at the same time, and the controls will be no worse to get to than they were as positioned from the factory. -Al

DSC00401a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00398a.jpg
    DSC00398a.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC00397a.jpg
    DSC00397a.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 416
I'm a motorcycle rider as well, but I find I prefer the bicycle throttle on the left for a few reasons:

1. I can keep the throttle pinned and still shift freely with the right (And rear shifter is always on the right)
2. With PAS, I find I only use throttle to top-up for a climb, or help launch from a streetlight, etc. Very rare to actually use the manual throttle anyway.
3. With stop-and-go city riding, I find the need to shift and brake a lot (like sometimes EVERY damn light), so the freedom to ease off the pedals early while still under some light throttle, in order to downshift and brake for a full stop is very convenient. Getting stuck at a stop without the proper gear selection for the start is a PITA since the bike is too heavy to just lift and spin the wheel like a road bike with clips.

Now my mother has an older e-bike with a twist throttle on the right grip, and a 6-speed grip shift (twist) on the left, and I have to admit that it is ridiculously nice and natural feeling for city riding. I would actually highly recommend that setup for folks just getting into the ebike world if they aren't already accustomed to throttles and thumb shifters.

I've owned 15 motorcycles and always thought I would prefer a twist throttle on the right. But after owning an e-bike with a thumb throttle on the left, this is where I like it. Does not interfere with gear shifter on the right and I only use the throttle for starts from zero and occasional blips when I find myself on a short hill in the wrong gear.

Guess I've never had occasion to hold the throttle wide open while shifting, nor have I generally been using any throttle while shifting. It's usually throttle, OR shifting. That's me though....

On the right as it should be and went from thumb to twist and can shift no problem... but not that I ever have a need to do both at the same time.
Switched back to the Microshift shifter with both push paddles under the bar.. I like it better than the Shimano push/pull - thumb/forefinger layout

Attachments

• IMAG0500.jpg
    IMAG0500.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 345
Back