Do you ever get tired of riding your ebike?

Urban Coyote

Region
Canada
City
Burlington
I purchased a Radrover and a Radrunner in the last 6 months, and I am enjoying them both very much (especially the Radrunner). I am seriously considering getting rid of my car and using the ebikes for my main transportation. I think I am still in the honeymoon phase though, and I wonder if the novelty might wear off as time goes by.
I would be interested in hearing from people who have been riding ebikes for a longer time on whether their feelings about them have changed from when they first started riding.

Similar situation: two commuters working from home now due to the Pandemic. We never use the second car anymore. I use the bike for quick grocery trips cause I live close enough. I guess I could take a trailer for larger loads. But here in Michigan there's 4-5 months a year where riding is not very pleasant. That's my only hesitancy. Cause no, I never get tired of riding the e-bike :). Still pondering it myself.

Nope, almost 13,000 miles since May 2016. I live in Central IL. -25 degree F wind chills to 110 degrees F make a vehicle a necessity around here. Not to mention speeding distracted drivers make riding at some times of the day almost suicide.

Bought my first ebike in August of 2016. I ride only for enjoyment, happily retired! 99% is by myself just out doing 25 - 45 mile loops on our very good network of trails and semi rural roads nearby across the Hudson River in the next county.

Approaching 14,000 miles currently, no plans to slow down. Never get tired of this!

7 years and still loving ebiking at every opportunity.

I don't get tired of mine but I expect if you get rid of your car you might regret it the next time you want to make purchases of bulky heavy items or the next time you need to go somewhere during a heavy downpour.

I've been riding e-bikes for about a year now, almost totally for exercise. I ride the same 23 mile loop on a rails to trails network in Prescott, AZ about 4 times per week. So I'm averaging about 100 miles/week and 4000 miles per year. You would think I would get tired of the same ole thing, but I don't. The scenery is beautiful and lots of hikers and other bikers along the trail makes it kind of a social thing. One thing I did was purchase a second bike for variety. I have a R1U 500 commuter/mtb style bike and a Ecotric Hammer (26x4) fat tire bike. The R1U is like my go fast sports bike and the Ecotric is my laid back, cushy comfort bike. For me, having some variety helps in providing a different riding experience.

I got tired of commuting on my analog bike and recumbent. but not so on my e bike. I get upto 225 miles a week.

Not yet, but I have had mine only 1 month. Up here in Wisconsin we keep getting teased by spring like weather then it gets cold and windy , so my riding has been sporadic. Going to be in the sixties today and looking forward to a nice ride on the Green circle trail. Feel like a kid again !

Built my e bike in March of 2016 after building one for my wife. I do not get tired of riding it and have been steadily increasing the miles every year. I started out riding about 15-20 miles at a time but have since found the right saddle and upgraded the battery bank. My rides can now exceed 80 miles. I don't drive as much as I use to but still use the vehicle locally. I have started to use the bike for long distance touring.
My overall speed has crept up and I ride more roads than I use to. My bike is a full fat e bike.

I've been riding e-bikes for about a year now, almost totally for exercise. I ride the same 23 mile loop on a rails to trails network in Prescott, AZ about 4 times per week. So I'm averaging about 100 miles/week and 4000 miles per year. You would think I would get tired of the same ole thing, but I don't. The scenery is beautiful and lots of hikers and other bikers along the trail makes it kind of a social thing. One thing I did was purchase a second bike for variety. I have a R1U 500 commuter/mtb style bike and a Ecotric Hammer (26x4) fat tire bike. The R1U is like my go fast sports bike and the Ecotric is my laid back, cushy comfort bike. For me, having some variety helps in providing a different riding experience.
Thank you for your reply. I recently purchased a RadRunner in addition to my RadRover, so my friends could ride with me. So far, nobody has taken me up on my offers, but it’s still kind of cold here in southern Ontario 😊. Like you, I’m enjoying the variety of having two bikes to ride!

After buying one in late 2015, falling back in love with cycling as a result, I fell right back into my pattern of regular commuting by bike like I did back in my teens, 20's and 30's. Being back into cycling and knowing what I wanted vs. what a manufacturer will give me, I built an e-mtb. Then a hi quality commuter, one that did a better job on hills (not a hub in other words), and when I decided I wanted to try and go hard core on full use, built a cargo bike. So I shop on 2 wheels now.

I still have my two cars but both sit on battery tenders. Occasionally I'll drive. Mostly I don't, and I'm healthier for it.

The only thing you outgrow about an ebike is the bike when you realize you can get a better one. The cheaper bikes like the Rads are great as starters. Gateway drugs.

Rather than getting rid of your car and later regretting it, why not switch to an EV or a long range hybrid?? You can buy a used Leaf or an iMiEV for $5K to $6K, maybe less depending on where you are, or you can pick up a $40K second generation Chevy Volt with all the bells and whistles for $15K or less and drive electrically for most or all of your miles

We've been driving two Mitsubishi iMiEV's since we bought them new in 2012 and we bought a used 2017 Volt about three years ago which we use for longer trips. But, over the past 8 or 9 years, we've found that a 60 mile range BEV takes care of about 95% of the miles we put on each year. We ride our bikes for fun and exercise (not to get some place) where it's safe, and mostly stay away from roads with cars on them

Don

As of January 21st I have gone three-years car free because of electric bikes. A couple with kids can easily go from two cars to one by adding two eBikes with one of them a cargo eBike. I am making one of these right now. It is my third cargo conversion in a month. This one can haul 200Kg, that is 440 pounds on the back rack. It has a place for two kids on the back. I geuss it depends on where you live. I live in a place with bike culture, infrastructure, public transportation such as the train, and relatively good weather. But when all hail breaks loose it becomes invigorating! Riding in hail makes you feel alive. And when you get to work you have a better story than many. It is better then the stressed people with white knuckles stuck in cars.
1617478245691.png

Attachments

• IMG_9311.jpg
    IMG_9311.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 204
  • jupiterfoods04.JPG
    jupiterfoods04.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 209
  • May Use Full Lane.jpg
    May Use Full Lane.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 193
Rather than getting rid of your car and later regretting it, why not switch to an EV or a long range hybrid?? You can buy a used Leaf or an iMiEV for $5K to $6K, maybe less depending on where you are, or you can pick up a $40K second generation Chevy Volt with all the bells and whistles for $15K or less and drive electrically for most or all of your miles

We've been driving two Mitsubishi iMiEV's since we bought them new in 2012 and we bought a used 2017 Volt about three years ago which we use for longer trips. But, over the past 8 or 9 years, we've found that a 60 mile range BEV takes care of about 95% of the miles we put on each year. We ride our bikes for fun and exercise (not to get some place) where it's safe, and mostly stay away from roads with cars on them

Don
Thanks Don, that’s a good suggestion, and I definitely think electric vehicles are a far better choice in many ways than any gasoline driven car. However, even without having to pay for gas, I think all cars are expensive when you factor in depreciation, maintenance, insurance, and parking. I’m retired, so I don’t need to commute for work, and most of my trips are under 10 km ( like most drivers, apparently). I figure if I need a car to go somewhere further, it will be much cheaper to rent one.
Ian

Back