Disc brake pad life?

ROJA

My front brakes have gotten noisy and the pads look thin (but there wasn't much pad to start with). The measurements are so small and precise that I have no way to check.

I have a little over 1000 miles (1600k) on my bike, much of it at higher speeds (because it's an ebike). I don't think I use the brakes that much but I'm sure slowing from 45k uses much more brake than regular non-e bike speeds. Is it reasonable to think I'm probably due for new pads?

Is this an easy DIY project? I see lots of youtube videos on how to do the job.

(This is a 16/17 Turbo X with Deore hydraulic disc brakes)

It's trivial. Pull out existing pads, push in the calipers (do not press the brake, you'll push out calipers and oil will leak out), stick in new pads, done.

As @Dmitri says...
Don't be afraid to use non-Shimano pads either, as long as they are compatible and not cheap (I have had situations where cheap generics are too thick and have had to shave off some pad to make them fit properly without binding). My Kool Stop pads (Formula brakes, ugh!) have done >12,000km and still show few signs of wearing! They don't squeal much either. I've also heard good things about Swisstop. Clarks not so good.
Having said all that there is nothing wrong with the (newer) Shimano pads apart from lifespan.

1000 miles is not a lot on the pads. I have 1500 on an electric assist fat bike, still factory pads. 1600 on an emtb, and the brakes really get a work out on it. Still on factory pads. As mentioned, easy to replace.

My front brakes have gotten noisy and the pads look thin (but there wasn't much pad to start with). The measurements are so small and precise that I have no way to check.

I have a little over 1000 miles (1600k) on my bike, much of it at higher speeds (because it's an ebike). I don't think I use the brakes that much but I'm sure slowing from 45k uses much more brake than regular non-e bike speeds. Is it reasonable to think I'm probably due for new pads?

Is this an easy DIY project? I see lots of youtube videos on how to do the job.

(This is a 16/17 Turbo X with Deore hydraulic disc brakes)
I typically suggest inspecting pads at around 1,000 miles just to be on the safe side. Riders who tend to brake aggressively with only one lever, may need new pads at around 1,000 miles depending on brand/model. If you brake conservatively and utilize both brake levers to slow down, your brake pad life will be extended much further.

I just replaced my metallic JagWire pads after about 1000 miles on the front. They have a lot of wear left compared with the specification for minimum thickness. Unfortunately they have to be replaced with plenty of material remaining because the brake lever comes all the way in, so the system is limited by the piston displacement and not the pad thickness. I guess a larger diameter master cylinder would have prevented that, but then it would take more force to use the brake.

Anyway, hardly matters, the pads are $20.

UPDATE: So when I pulled the pads, they were totally gone (both front and rear, with the front slightly worse). Easy enough to change with the help of some YouTube videos (and I'm terrible at working on my bike - if I can do it then anyone can). I also followed the bedding instructions I found.

Goes to show you that riding a heavy ebike at high speeds in traffic can eat through pads quickly! Everything is working fine afterwards, so apparently no harm done to the rotors (although the pads were so worn that I was close).

Wow! How did you get 12x the life that I do?!?! You have Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes?

Back