Disappointment with Allant 7

Silvercat

Hi,
Returned my Allant 7 yesterday. I tried riding on various terrain for about 9 km (about 5 and 1/2 miles), shifting gears, but found climbing mild to moderate hills very challenging. I had to use Turbo mode and gear 1 or 2, with strong pedal effort to manage the hills, rarely going faster than 8 to 10 kph.
My NCM 29 inch tire Moscow Plus rear hub ebike (60 nm German motor) climbs much better. I had been told mid drive ebikes are much better negotiating hills.
Curious if anyone has experienced similar or have I made some riding errors, or did I receive a defective bike? I certainly was careful to shift before reaching the climb, used different oner modes, different gears, etc. but never climbed as easily as with my NCM rear hub ebike.
Very odd to me, given the great reputation and reviews on the Allant 7 as well as its higher torque (85 versus 60 nm).
Thanks!

I forgot to add that I weigh about 225 pounds so that likely has some impact.
Look forward to thoughts and suggestions!Thanks!

sure others will chime in that know more, but could you have been in too easy a gear and not getting enough torque on the pedals to get the motor to give full power????
that would be my first thought
does it have a power meter on it so you could see how much it was putting out
the mid drives are a different feel but they definitely climb..
sure some others with that bike or similar will chime in

That sounds like something was wrong with your bike or your expectations were to high. I have a Trek Verve+3 that has 50 nm of torque and have been happy with the performance on hills. On steep hills I will have to downshift into gear 2 sometimes though and I will have to pedal fairly hard. I’m 60 years old and weigh 250 pounds.

Similarly, I rode a Verve+3 for 2K+ miles and thought it was sufficiently powered. Then I switched to an Allant+7s for the higher top end speed. Just turned over 5k miles and will say the Performance Speed motor has much better torque at all levels. I have never been disappointed with the S. Just sayin’, you may have set your expectations too high on the Active Plus motor.

When I was looking for an emtb I had to reject all big name brands due to weight limitations and only 20mph assist. I'm over 250lbs and ride the roads to get to the trails.

I always assumed they were solid climbers on trail though with focus on torque vs speed. Curious now to try some to compare to my bafang Ultra emtb - which is just as much fun going up as coming down.

I have a Trek 8s....and there is never an issue with enough power. This thing is strong....I never ever have to use Sport or Turbo...as Eco and Tour are plenty. Recently I did a 70 mile short tour (4 hours), and arrived home with 30% battery left...all in ECO mode. There were hills on this trip, and that bike never ever feels under-powered. I am 60 years old, and north of 260 lbs.

1661351717971.jpeg

Perhaps sufficient cadence might be a factor. Bosch motors are well known to perform far better on hill or flats for that matter at a cadence of 70 or more. Grinding at a lower cadence with definitely require more effort in climbing the same hill. My Allant 9.9S climbs the steep hill back up to our house quite nicely without undue strain on my part. I am 72 and weigh 190. There are two blocks on my climb home that are 18% grade. The Allant climbs them just fine. Coming from a powerful rear hub bike, it sounds like you need to learn how to use a mid drive properly.

Perhaps sufficient cadence might be a factor. Bosch motors are well known to perform far better on hill or flats for that matter at a cadence of 70 or more. Grinding at a lower cadence with definitely require more effort in climbing the same hill. My Allant 9.9S climbs the steep hill back up to our house quite nicely without undue strain on my part. I am 72 and weigh 190. There are two blocks on my climb home that are 18% grade. The Allant climbs them just fine. Coming from a powerful rear hub bike, it sounds like you need to learn how to use a mid drive properly.
That is a good point. My average cadence during any ride, for any length of time is between 80 - 85. The Bosch motor loves 85rpm....just my two cents.

I have had a few different bikes including a 7. I used to hate mine . At about 5k in mileage it finally became fun. Upgraded the gear train , new shifters and different cassette I think. All done by Trek I just paid them never looked at the specifics. That said it is still the slowest bike I have owned but 1 the little Jetson from Costco with 14 inch tires set for 15.5 mph. i go hills slowly in my opinion. I have better hill climbing on rear hubs I have had except the relay ridiculous hills and where the 7 will go up at just enough speed not to fall over and the hub wouldn’t go at all.

I have found a that 1 issue I have with the 7 is I can’t adjust the torque sensor. I have to push to hard to get what I can from it. This makes it feel les powerful then it I think.I believe the Nyon upgrade would let me make these adjustments though. the other issue I have with the bike is the Bosch motor needs more rpm’s the my old legs can do. If you are a regular bike rider with a cadence that spins rather than mashes (I am a masher) you probably will get more from this motor. I like torque at low speed it has more power at the upper rpm’s than i use

Still not my favorite bike but on flatter rides it is fine and now reliable and much less chain gear skip or another way of putting it more mileage between cassette and chain replacement.

Edit. Above posts have come in while I was responding seem to confirm my post

Hi,
Returned my Allant 7 yesterday. I tried riding on various terrain for about 9 km (about 5 and 1/2 miles), shifting gears, but found climbing mild to moderate hills very challenging. I had to use Turbo mode and gear 1 or 2, with strong pedal effort to manage the hills, rarely going faster than 8 to 10 kph.
Sounds to me like something is wrong. I have an Allant+ 8 and most of the time I use eco. For a steep hill (say 10%) I use tour and it goes up superbly. I only use eMtb or turbo occasionally for fun. In turbo I can go up 20% virtually effortlessly. I'm 68 and weigh 180 lbs. My average cadence is 90.

it does take effort to use a mid drive. its not the same feeling as a hub drive. there effort you put into it the more you get out of it.

I have had a few different bikes including a 7. I used to hate mine . At about 5k in mileage it finally became fun. Upgraded the gear train , new shifters and different cassette I think. All done by Trek I just paid them never looked at the specifics. That said it is still the slowest bike I have owned but 1 the little Jetson from Costco with 14 inch tires set for 15.5 mph. i go hills slowly in my opinion. I have better hill climbing on rear hubs I have had except the relay ridiculous hills and where the 7 will go up at just enough speed not to fall over and the hub wouldn’t go at all.

I have found a that 1 issue I have with the 7 is I can’t adjust the torque sensor. I have to push to hard to get what I can from it. This makes it feel les powerful then it I think.I believe the Nyon upgrade would let me make these adjustments though. the other issue I have with the bike is the Bosch motor needs more rpm’s the my old legs can do. If you are a regular bike rider with a cadence that spins rather than mashes (I am a masher) you probably will get more from this motor. I like torque at low speed it has more power at the upper rpm’s than i use

Still not my favorite bike but on flatter rides it is fine and now reliable and much less chain gear skip or another way of putting it more mileage between cassette and chain replacement.

Edit. Above posts have come in while I was responding seem to confirm my post
the thing that the trek bikes suffer with is the fat tires. You just don't get the snappiness from them. I have a bulls bike with 1.5" tires at 70psi and the Bosch gen 2 speed motor. even with 25nm less torque it is a much better accelerator and I can sometimes even get the front wheel off the ground. I also cruise faster on it around 22mph verses 18mph. mashing is hard on your knees. but you only need around 70 rpms t get most out f the motor.

Interesting enough, I just purchased a Verve +3 step thru a few weeks ago. I have ro say, I am very impressed and pleased with over all performance of the bike. I'm older, 6' and shrinking, 270 pounds and the bike just moves along so much better than I ever expected. Matter of fact, it rolls along quite well with PAS activated. If anything, I would like to see a couple of more gears installed to use witt the Active Plus motor engaged. Very happy with the overall performance of the bike and the Bosch motor .

@Silvercat You have not been back to comment on the post your started. Just wondering whether you have tried any of the good ideas that people have suggested and if any of them have made a difference.

@Silvercat You have not been back to comment on the post your started. Just wondering whether you have tried any of the good ideas that people have suggested and if any of them have made a difference.
Doubtful you will hear anything from Silvercat per the first words in his post, “Returned my Allant 7 yesterday.”

Hello,
Sorry for my delay in replying. Thanks to all those who posted suggestions, I have been in touch with another Trek bike shop who thought that my experience was very unusual, to say the least. That shop suggested possible errors in the prior shop’s assembly and configuration of the Bosch motor.
I will be visiting that bike shop to try one of their Allant 7’s.
I will post again once I have done that.
Thanks again for all the suggestions…most appreciated!

I will be visiting that bike shop to try one of their Allant 7’s.
I will post again once I have done that.
Thanks again for all the suggestions…most appreciated
You will be blown away with the difference between a class 1 and a class 3.

You will be blown away with the difference between a class 1 and a class 3.
I bet I sure would be! But, very sadly, class 3 are not legal is this country…absolutely ridiculous!
I have thought about purchasing a class 3 ebike in Bellingham, Washington, but import fees, etc., let alone possible warranty issues, may pose too much a barrier.
Would be really good to hear from anyone who has purchased their ebike in the USA and brought it across the Canadian border.
Thanks and safe riding everyone!
PS. Looking forward to the much more reasonable temps around 65 to 75 in September and October for significantly more comfortable riding! Temps 85 to 95 throughout July and August much too hot for me!

I bet I sure would be! But, very sadly, class 3 are not legal is this country…absolutely ridiculous!
I have thought about purchasing a class 3 ebike in Bellingham, Washington, but import fees, etc., let alone possible warranty issues, may pose too much a barrier.
Would be really good to hear from anyone who has purchased their ebike in the USA and brought it across the Canadian border.
Thanks and safe riding everyone!
PS. Looking forward to the much more reasonable temps around 65 to 75 in September and October for significantly more comfortable riding! Temps 85 to 95 throughout July and August much too hot for me!
Sorry, I thought you said you were testing an Allant+7s. That is a class 3 bike in the U.S.

Back