Disappointed after purchasing an e-bike?

Disappointed? Yes with Trek’s choice to put a ridiculous Bosch smartphone controller on their bikes.
Changed mine immediately to the excellent Bosch Kiox 2.
Who makes those poor decisions? Certainly not anyone who used the Smartphone controller.
Could you explain the differences in each controller and their effects on you?
my thanks.

Were you disappointed after purchasing and using an e-bike?
- ride
- quality
- servicing
- cost(s)
- surprises
- other
No, I bought two Gazelle Ultimate C380+ bicycles in 2022. They are expensive, but I think the old adage applies here, "Buy Once, Cry Once."

While it isn't always the case, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

One of my other hobbies is amateur radio. Some people in that hobby try to buy the absolute cheapest gear possible and hope for good results. Often times they end up being disappointed.

My wife and are are into ATV/UTVs. There, too, some will buy the cheapest equipment. Sometimes it is good enough for some people. Other times they end up disappointed.

Firearms are similar, you can buy cheap or you can buy good quality.

Cars/trucks, pretty much anything we buy.

No, I bought two Gazelle Ultimate C380+ bicycles in 2022. They are expensive, but I think the old adage applies here, "Buy Once, Cry Once."

While it isn't always the case, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

One of my other hobbies is amateur radio. Some people in that hobby try to buy the absolute cheapest gear possible and hope for good results. Often times they end up being disappointed.

My wife and are are into ATV/UTVs. There, too, some will buy the cheapest equipment. Sometimes it is good enough for some people. Other times they end up disappointed.

Firearms are similar, you can buy cheap or you can buy good quality.

Cars/trucks, pretty much anything we buy.
Thank you

I bought a Voltbike Bravo in early 2023. I went into this purchase knowing that the Bravo was a basic e-bike: 7 speed, hub drive, with a cadence sensor, and basic, but decent components. After a little over a year, and 2000+ km, I have had no issues, or regrets.

Not really disappointed, but the heavier ebike was more difficult to transport than my lighter conventional bikes. Lifting the ebike on and off a rack was more difficult than I expected and required some creative rack modifications.

The ebike also requires a bit more maintenance, and the batteries need to be handled with care.

However, the ability to ride farther and longer more than makes up for these minor inconveniences.

Not every ebike is fit to perform the way everyone want.
Some are designed for lightweight,
some are designed for long distance,
some are designed for higher speeds,
some are designed for more comfort.
If you expect a particular ebike to perform beyond their designated purpose, sure you're going to be disappointed.
Important thing is to evaluate an ebike with its designed purpose, so you're less likely to be disappointed.

I also have a Rambo Krusader 2.0. I bought it late last year because I wanted the all wheel drive feature.

It is very different from our Gazelle bikes in a number of ways. It is chain, not belt drive. It, too, is heavy. Having had the Gazelle e-bikes, I knew somewhat to expect. I has allowed me to get outside during times that I would never consider taking my Gazelle out.

For most people, if there are no reliability issues, their first bike is all bliss. Give it a year, and if they ride other bikes in the meantime, they either remain satisfied or they learn about features they didn't know they wanted.

Try to figure out what you want on your first ebike and if you get it, you'll be reasonably happy. It's only money and not that much money for many people. You can buy another one later,

For most people, if there are no reliability issues, their first bike is all bliss. Give it a year, and if they ride other bikes in the meantime, they either remain satisfied or they learn about features they didn't know they wanted.

Try to figure out what you want on your first ebike and if you get it, you'll be reasonably happy. It's only money and not that much money for many people. You can buy another one later,
thats hard for people that have not ridden a bike in a long time. thats most e bike buyers I bet.

I have not been disappointed in an ebike itself but perhaps my choices made.

1) Rad Rover: Never had any mechanical issues but quickly learned I should have purchase a bike with torque sensing instead of cadence. (Ended up selling).

2) Specialized Turbo Levo Comp: Great MTB but a bit heavy for my liking. ( Ended up selling)

3) Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ: Great bike for road and gravel. Very light for an e-bike. (Keeper)

4) Trek Fuel EXE 9.8 XT: Great MTB (SL Model). Love it on the trails and very light for a MTEB. (Keeper)

I think when entering the e-bike world for the first time, the best choice can be challenging. For me, I took a couple of different bikes to find the right combination.

Last edited:
I have not been disappointed in an ebike itself but perhaps my choices made.

1) Rad Rover: Never had any mechanical issues but quickly learned I should have purchase a bike with torque sensing instead of cadence. (Ended up selling).

2) Specialized Turbo Levo Comp: Great MTB but a bit heavy for my liking. ( Ended up selling)

3) Specialized Levo SL 5.0 EQ: Great bike for road and gravel. Very light for an e-bike. (Keeper)

4) Trek Fuel EXE 9.8 XT: Great MTB (SL Model). Love it on the trails and very light for a MTEB. (Keeper)

I think when entering the e-bike world for the first time, the best choice can be challenging. For me, I took a couple of different bikes to find the right combination.
Thanks!

Not every ebike is fit to perform the way everyone want.
Some are designed for lightweight,
some are designed for long distance,
some are designed for higher speeds,
some are designed for more comfort.
If you expect a particular ebike to perform beyond their designated purpose, sure you're going to be disappointed.
Important thing is to evaluate an ebike with its designed purpose, so you're less likely to be disappointed.
If only everyone knew this.

Evaluate means using it for a while? A quick run at the vendor may not be enough. One of the comments was to buy at a base level and then sell it knowing what and why you want, that is currently available.
Also, be prepared to pay for it.
thank you.

To help me choose a bike, I first rented a couple of bikes. Each was a different style with different features. My wife and I rode them, then half way we swapped bikes. That was enough for me to know what I wanted.

Were you disappointed after purchasing and using an e-bike?
- ride
- quality
- servicing
- cost(s)
- surprises
- other
Recent disappointment = weight
I have lightweight e-bikes and regular bikes. And really enjoy how easy to handle, transport and be able to ride without assist they are.

But when my SO (who doesn’t ride a lot) needed an ebike to ride with me, and needed decent range and power, to get that we needed to get an ebike that ended up being over 50 lbs. Just so cumbersome to put into a car, not as fun to ride and maneuver. Disappointed with heavy e-bikes. Regret that we got that one.

Recent disappointment = weight
I have lightweight e-bikes and regular bikes. And really enjoy how easy to handle, transport and be able to ride without assist they are.

But when my SO (who doesn’t ride a lot) needed an ebike to ride with me, and needed decent range and power, to get that we needed to get an ebike that ended up being over 50 lbs. Just so cumbersome to put into a car, not as fun to ride and maneuver. Disappointed with heavy e-bikes. Regret that we got that one.
That is what I experienced. My first two e-bikes were foe heavy to handle and load.

Back